NYCC 2012: DC COMICS - Batman - Death Comes to Gotham panel recap

• 77 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (43285 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Panel begins with a plug for DC's We Can Be Heroes program.  Aiming to help the hunger crisis in the horn of Africa, text "heroes" to 80888 to make a $10 donation.  DC will match it.  
  • Panel is Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo, Kyle Higgins, Peter Tomasi, Gregg Hurwitz, David Finch and James Tynion IV.
  • Snyder thanks audience for their support and response so far to 'Death of the Family.'  Says Batman fans are the best in the world and he's overwhelmed by the support.
  • "First question: AvX... who wins?"  Synder asks.  He and the audience then yell "Batman!" at the same time.
  • Speaking about the Joker, Snyder says he thinks he's Batman's family.  He could have picked any kingdom in the DCU to be a villain in.  He really believes he's come to Gotham because Batman is his Bat-king and he's his court Jester.  Joker challenges Batman to make him stronger.
  • Teases more favorite Batman rogues will appear in back up stories. (Crossing fingers for Bane)
  • Joker also has a secret on Batman that will come out later.
  • "We're employed by DC Comics but we work for you."  - Capullo.
  • Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham then take to the stage.  Huge applause.  
  • TALON #1 has Talon coming back to Gotham since he fled.  He'll found out what happened in the wake of the 'Night of Owls' and hinted at numerous cameos.
  • Joker story to have "huge fallout" for NIGHTWING.
  • We're then shown awesome assorted covers with heroes having Joker's face (provided below because I love you all).
  • Tomasi says BATMAN & ROBIN to have "crazy emotional stuff."  Very focused on assuring Damian and Batman have a strong father/son dynamic.
  • BATMAN & ROBIN ANNUAL #1 will lay groundwork for Joker tie-in.  
  • CATWOMAN tie-ins "extremely fun" because of her interactions with Joker.
  • Grant says BATMAN, INCORPORATED definitively wraps up the story he started in BATMAN & SON.  It's "the big finale."
  • BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT's Scarecrow story gets "bigger, darker and enormously grand in its scope."
  • Snyder hints at Riddler playing a role in an upcoming big story.
  • Focus on Harley Quinn & Joker's relationship will continue in SUICIDE SQUAD.
  • Joker spent his year away observing each Bat-family member and will attack them based on their weaknesses.
  • Nightwing was never a member of the Teen Titans in the New 52.
  • Fan asks to see Nightwing interact with Titans.  Higgins says he had no plans but then happily said he'll work it in.
  • Question: "Any plans for Bat-Cow?"  Answer: "Wait till you see what Joker does to him!" Grant jokes... or is it a joke?  Run, Bat-Cow!!!!
  • The Terminus story in BATMAN & ROBIN was trimmed down by 2 issues so it could dive into 'Death of the Family.' 
Now feast your eyes on some awesomely disturbing covers.

·         

Staff Online
#1 Posted by cameron83 (7290 posts) - - Show Bio

damn....what's so funny (lol jk,but i think that joker will do something to batman and his allies (supposedly kill them,but they will be alive) and he will take their place or infiltrate their teams one way or another

#2 Posted by The_Soverighn (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

cool

#3 Posted by Ryonslaught (1247 posts) - - Show Bio

I love these!

#4 Posted by Crimson Eagle (1848 posts) - - Show Bio

Red Hood reminds me of Red Skull here.

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33336 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick Grayson is a goner

#6 Posted by k4tzm4n (43285 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jonny_Anonymous said:
Dick Grayson is a goner
Funny you say that.  A few minutes into the panel Kyle Higgins said something like "and why does Nightwing have to be Dick Grayson?!"  Odds are it was just a joke but you never know :P
Staff Online
#7 Posted by microwave25 (109 posts) - - Show Bio

I decided to skip the Talon, but that cover is incredible,

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33336 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n said:
@Jonny_Anonymous said:
Dick Grayson is a goner
Funny you say that.  A few minutes into the panel Kyle Higgins said something like "and why does Nightwing have to be Dick Grayson?!"  Odds are it was just a joke but you never know :P
HA I knew it, Alfred is to easy so my bets on Dick biting the dust 
#9 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow..im not reading Talon, but i gotta say Guillen march is killing it with those covers!

And I cannot wait to read Batman and Nightwing!

#10 Posted by ARMIV2 (8520 posts) - - Show Bio

These are some really awesome covers!

#11 Posted by sentryman555 (771 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@k4tzm4n said:
@Jonny_Anonymous said:
Dick Grayson is a goner
Funny you say that. A few minutes into the panel Kyle Higgins said something like "and why does Nightwing have to be Dick Grayson?!" Odds are it was just a joke but you never know :P

Since in the other panel they said keep reading about Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown, who says Barbara doesn't die? It'd be like Joker's plans coming full circle when he tried to kill her the first time.

#12 Posted by saoakden (1047 posts) - - Show Bio

Some of these covers are creepy and awesome. The one with Red Hood and the Outlaws interest me the most so far. Jason's appearance on the cover reminds me of the Red Skull.. Is that Alfred on the second cover??? If it is damn thats freaky.

#13 Posted by SmashBrawler (5731 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, all this stuff looks awesome.

#14 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

Is that third cover for Inc?

Still deciding which tie ins I'm getting. Either Nightwing and Robin, or Nightwing and Red Hood.

#15 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8734 posts) - - Show Bio

Love it!!!!!!please give Bane his brain back!!!

#16 Posted by ccraft (5259 posts) - - Show Bio

Red Hood is the best!

#17 Posted by Emperormeister734 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

The Clown is gonna cause trouble for everyone all except Batwing it seems

#18 Posted by Sawcesome (135 posts) - - Show Bio

So many Bat-books, so little money.

#19 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6853 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man I love all those covers!!! big up DC

#20 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14683 posts) - - Show Bio

If Joker is saying that they're all dead ,then they are all dead. And honestly it wouldn't bother me not one bit.

#21 Posted by Cavemold (1682 posts) - - Show Bio

Getting batman , talon, Teen Titans , nightwing

#22 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything looks awesome!!

#23 Posted by JamDamage (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

isn't the big secret that Joker knows Bruce is Batman??? He went after Alfred.

#24 Posted by Mini_Bat (99 posts) - - Show Bio

What if the fall out for nightwing is that he becomes the second batman again and steph becomes the new nightwing.... Yea won't happen just wishful thinking

#25 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9052 posts) - - Show Bio

I went to this panel today also!

#26 Posted by ccraft (5259 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if by any chance Clayface will ally himself with Joker to infiltrate the bat family

#27 Posted by lvire (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I decided to skip the Talon, but that cover is incredible,.....

#28 Posted by mattwing87 (431 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mini_Bat said:

What if the fall out for nightwing is that he becomes the second batman again and steph becomes the new nightwing.... Yea won't happen just wishful thinking

*Shudder* NO ONE can take Dick Grayson's place!!!

#29 Posted by Bitchgurl (131 posts) - - Show Bio

@sentryman555 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@k4tzm4n said:
@Jonny_Anonymous said:
Dick Grayson is a goner
Funny you say that. A few minutes into the panel Kyle Higgins said something like "and why does Nightwing have to be Dick Grayson?!" Odds are it was just a joke but you never know :P

Since in the other panel they said keep reading about Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown, who says Barbara doesn't die? It'd be like Joker's plans coming full circle when he tried to kill her the first time.

THAT would be quite the ironic thing, and I would think it would fit perfectly for the Joker!

#30 Posted by MisterKetch (253 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't see anyone being killed off, since the title is Death of the Family a single death really doesn't do it and there's no way we'd be getting more then one at the most. I think its going to fundamentally change up the relationship between members of the Bat family. Yes it definitely looks like the Joker knows Bats identity but I'm guessing there is a deeper secret something dark and disturbing about Bruce that makes the others see him in a different light and mistrust him.

#31 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@MisterKetch said:

I really don't see anyone being killed off, since the title is Death of the Family a single death really doesn't do it and there's no way we'd be getting more then one at the most. I think its going to fundamentally change up the relationship between members of the Bat family. Yes it definitely looks like the Joker knows Bats identity but I'm guessing there is a deeper secret something dark and disturbing about Bruce that makes the others see him in a different light and mistrust him.

But wouldnt it be a little dissapointing if no one died when they have been playing with that possibility a lot in interviews and stuff?

#32 Posted by TheMadMonkey (148 posts) - - Show Bio

@sentryman555 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@k4tzm4n said:
@Jonny_Anonymous said:
Dick Grayson is a goner

Joker didn't try to kill Barbara. His goal was to drive Commissioner Gordon insane by committing a brutal act against someone close to Gordon...right in front of him.

#33 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

He said Superman would make an appearance later on...

#34 Posted by Atomic_Punk (103 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so far behind on Batman, but I have gotta get the cover with Batman and Scarecrow playing chess and the one of the kids burning all the Batman stuff. Man, these are all killer.

#35 Posted by InfamousFish (353 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sawcesome said:

So many Bat-books, so little money.

My exact thought.

#36 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing never a member of TT in this new reality huh? Well I guess it suits the changes. All those covers are just great. I want every single one of 'em! And as far as AvX? Damn right Batman wins! Teehee...

#37 Posted by longbowhunter (7077 posts) - - Show Bio

I just dropped Nightwing. May have to comeback for this arc. Funny there is no mention of Detective here.

#38 Posted by LifePool (135 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush: I'm getting them all!

The Red Hood cover is just amazing.

#39 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

those are some great covers

#40 Posted by feargalr (1163 posts) - - Show Bio

I frakking knew the terminus/war of the robins story was trimmed down, damn.. that could have been a lot better

#41 Posted by sentryman555 (771 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheMadMonkey said:

@sentryman555 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@k4tzm4n said:
@Jonny_Anonymous said:
Dick Grayson is a goner

Joker didn't try to kill Barbara. His goal was to drive Commissioner Gordon insane by committing a brutal act against someone close to Gordon...right in front of him.

Joker shot her. Stripped her. and then left her bleeding out. The dude tried to kill her. It was part of a bigger plan but the fact still remains.

#42 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (889 posts) - - Show Bio

Those covers are awesome.

#43 Posted by edtie97 (81 posts) - - Show Bio

These look absolutely creepy. I cannot believe Greg capullo's art on joker here.

#44 Edited by The Stegman (24323 posts) - - Show Bio

What's so funny???

#45 Posted by xtremekidx (576 posts) - - Show Bio

i am totally trying to think that it is just overhype so i wont be dissapoointed when the event finallly happens...but every thing about it is just too good not to excited about................

#46 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (1058 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want a any deaths, but I do want to see Joker get into Dick's head like he is in Babs and Jason. Have him do something to Dick that he will remember for the rest of his life

Sort of like the Joker we seen in the Batman Beyond Universe, because there are fates worse the death y'know :)

#47 Posted by Batmandemon23 (138 posts) - - Show Bio

those kids are protesting because DC refuses to cancel some of the bat books.

#48 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio

Hyped for the Morrison book and I might check out the cross over in trade.

#49 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

what the hell :O :<.....

#50 Posted by viin (578 posts) - - Show Bio

ooooo i figured there would be something involved with Nightwing, Joker and the Amusement Mile. Get ready for a Joker Circus!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.