Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23537 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Nightwing sequel to the Dark Knight Rises?

Vulcan1459

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vulcan1459

Now obviously the Dark Knight Rises was meant to be the last of the Nolan series but I think we can all agree that they have left it open for a spin off/sequel. Now I cringed when John Blake revealed his legal name is Robin (I've never been a fan of Robin) but after the credits rolled I began to wonder, is there a future to this trilogy after all? Two theories came to my mind:

1. John is going to become Batman in an upcoming Justice League film rather than rebooting the franchise.

2. This in my mind is the more likely and overall better scenario. John is going to become Nightwing and we'll see a Nightwing spinoff.

So, do you think we'll be seeing a Nightwing film anytime soon? Is this the end of the Nolan Batman Series?

ElGUitarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ElGUitarist

If you guys know your batman, you know JGL (RJB) goes on to become batman.

"lol but it's not the comic, it's Nolan's interpretation"

Exactly, Nolan knows his batman. All the important themes and aspects of the batman mythos as been included in the movie. Batman always existing, even without Bruce, is a big part of the batman mythos.

Also why cringe when you find out his name is Robin? Nolan's interpretation of Robin the Boy Wonder was a cop/detective named Robin John Blake who acted as Batman's sidekick-ish. Much better than a kid in tights.

So instead of getting Robin, the kid sidekick to Batman who wears a costume... we got Robin, the cop-turned-detective who works closely with Batman almost to a sidekick status.

Bruce even makes a big point about Batman could be anyone twice when he talks to JGL throughout TDKR.

And the whole point of the trilogy was the symbolism of Batman, so that, unlike a man, Batman cannot be killed and could be anyone. Like JGL becoming Batman... because Batman didn't die as a result of being a symbol and can be anyone.

EDIT: so no, I don't think we'll see a Nightwing spinoff, because it doesn't make sense in the world Nolan created. From how the film ended, and how Nolan talks about it... I think it is the last of the Nolan film world he created. Of course, the story doesn't end, but it won't be filmed. And I really doubt the general public will want to see a Batman movie where Batman isn't Bruce.

ANOTHER EDIT: didn't whoever from DC and WB say that they want to make another Batman francise, one that would fit into the world of the new Man of Steel and future Justice League? This kinda blows, cuz Nolan's batman was the tits... but WB might not want to risk having a batman that isn't Bruce. Or, maybe there are two Batmen, one that takes the JL duties while JGL's batman works in gotham (we already had this in comics, only Bruce did Batman INC stuff while Dick was Batman in gotham at the same time).

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Xanni15

I don't think Nightwing would be popular enough with casual fans, especially without him being introduced in another movie first. Hollywood is all about the money.

ANOMALY0964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ANOMALY0964

Someone can't go straight to Nightwing without being ROBIN first...

I would LOVE to see Nolan wait five years and come back and Give us Batman Beyond with JGL and CB...

ElGUitarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ElGUitarist

@ANOMALY0964 said:

Someone can't go straight to Nightwing without being ROBIN first...

I would LOVE to see Nolan wait five years and come back and Give us Batman Beyond with JGL and CB...

Nolan said that, in his universe, there is no Robin.

What we got instead as an interpretation of the Robin character for the Nolan-verse. Instead of a Boy Wonder in uniform code-named Robin who is a sidekick to Batman... we got a cop/detective whose first name is Robin who acted as a sidekick of sorts to Batman.

The Bat-family is a silly concept that only (sort of, IMO) works in the comics. IRL, there only being Batman makes most sense.

I also like your idea of a Batman Beyond kind of concept to JGL's Batman; Bruce being in the background as a mentor, but retired while JGL kicks ass. Sweet.

Haaydrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Haaydrian

Never thought about it until now, but it'd work. Doubt Nolan would do it.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

-waits for someone to post that crappy John Blake Nightwing pic-

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shawnbaby

@BiteMe-Fanboy: Your will, my hands

No Caption Provided
    InfamousFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By InfamousFish

@Shawnbaby said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy: Your will, my hands

No Caption Provided

lol

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Superguy0009e

I think a Nightwing sequel would be great in comic form. Think:

They could make it as big as they want.

They could have whatever character, even the Joker.

And they could still get help from Nolan to make it good.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ElGUitarist said:

If you guys know your batman, you know JGL (RJB) goes on to become batman.

"lol but it's not the comic, it's Nolan's interpretation"

Exactly, Nolan knows his batman. All the important themes and aspects of the batman mythos as been included in the movie. Batman always existing, even without Bruce, is a big part of the batman mythos.

Also why cringe when you find out his name is Robin? Nolan's interpretation of Robin the Boy Wonder was a cop/detective named Robin John Blake who acted as Batman's sidekick-ish. Much better than a kid in tights.

So instead of getting Robin, the kid sidekick to Batman who wears a costume... we got Robin, the cop-turned-detective who works closely with Batman almost to a sidekick status.

Bruce even makes a big point about Batman could be anyone twice when he talks to JGL throughout TDKR.

And the whole point of the trilogy was the symbolism of Batman, so that, unlike a man, Batman cannot be killed and could be anyone. Like JGL becoming Batman... because Batman didn't die as a result of being a symbol and can be anyone.

EDIT: so no, I don't think we'll see a Nightwing spinoff, because it doesn't make sense in the world Nolan created. From how the film ended, and how Nolan talks about it... I think it is the last of the Nolan film world he created. Of course, the story doesn't end, but it won't be filmed. And I really doubt the general public will want to see a Batman movie where Batman isn't Bruce.

ANOTHER EDIT: didn't whoever from DC and WB say that they want to make another Batman francise, one that would fit into the world of the new Man of Steel and future Justice League? This kinda blows, cuz Nolan's batman was the tits... but WB might not want to risk having a batman that isn't Bruce. Or, maybe there are two Batmen, one that takes the JL duties while JGL's batman works in gotham (we already had this in comics, only Bruce did Batman INC stuff while Dick was Batman in gotham at the same time).

Also you could notice John Blake was a mix of the 3 good robin, not Damien cuz Talia had sex with Bruce, she died and that little prick never born, i love Nolan because he killed that prick.

Also, it would made more sense to have a Batman Beyond type sequel.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By RedOwl_1

I hope is option 1, I really want to watch him as Batman.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Gambit1024

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

-waits for someone to post that crappy John Blake Nightwing pic-

...I think it's neat....

Zompirewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zompirewolf

John Blake should become the second Batman instead of Nightwing. He should also fight the Riddler, the Penguin, Deadshot, Solomon Grundy, Killer Croc, Poison Ivy and Mr.Freeze

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#15  Edited By Black_Claw

No. I think Nolan is truly done with Batman now, and whatever happens beyond Dark Knight Rises is purely up to the fans imagination.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Eternal19

No, Nolans done with batman. I dont think DC would make John Blake batman in the JL movie because it would annoy batman fans like me. The Nolan batman movies are over so i doubt DC will do anymore stuff in that universe since they are trying to make a JL movie they might want to keep all there charecters in one universe. DC would have to make a batman and robin movie first to show that robin could work outside the comics and then make a nightwing movie if they do it right it will please long time fans of the charecter and end the whole "robin wont work outside of comics" statements.

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By serpent222

I'm surprised I haven't seen it brought up much in the discussion on this, but Nightwing is just as much about Dick Grayson as Batman is Bruce Wayne. It's one thing to have Blake take over as Batman in Nolan's universe because that's the world he made. But NIGHTWING should not exist if it is not Dick Grayson.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.