Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Nightwing/Robin in MoS 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So one of the things that has seemed to stick out in my mind with the casting of Ben Affleck and the veteran approach to Batman in MoS 2/Superman vs Batman is how much the concept sounds like what has just recently been done in the Smallville comic book series. While I haven't been extremely impressed with the depiction of Batman in that series, mostly stemming from the costume design choice, what has been interesting is the fact that instead of bring Batman into the Smallville universe alone they brought along a sidekick, changing the historical Dick Grayson Robin for a Barbara Gordon Nightwing.

Whether it was Dick Grayson or Barbara Gordon doesn't really matter to me but the concept that this Batman would have a sidekick from the start, or even two (Dick and Barbara), would not be a far-fetched idea even if they didn't play substantial roles in the film. As an older hero, he would have had time to train a partner and give us the movie trope of one simply happening out of the blue. It would make sense that a Robin, Nightwing, and/or Batgirl is in their early to mid-twenties if Bruce has been at this for more than a decade because it affords a large enough time gap that both training and real-world experience would be established without the need to start the sidekick as a 10-13 year old.

As I stated, its not really necessary to show Batman's sidekick(s) in the new film, but establishing they exist would be a great way of bringing a greater part of the DC Universe into the new films while at the same time establishing a greater human connection for Batman. At the end of the day I get what Nolan was trying to do in his trilogy by humanizing Batman yet he always made him fight alone against impossible odds, which takes away from that type of approach. But by showing Bruce having one, two, or even three sidekicks (Dick as Nightwing, Cassandra as Batgirl.....sorry Barbara fans but I would keep her character in the role of Oracle should this depiction of Batman spiral into its own set of movies....and Tim as Robin) and working as an organized unit in his war on crime it emphasizes the human element of the character while at the same time showing more sides than what we've gotten in the past. We would see Batman as more of a leader, a strategist in how he assigns and utilizes the rest of his team, and that kind of depiction would lead into how we see him act in a later Justice League movie and why he so naturally can coordinate a team because he's been doing it for years.

As for MoS 2 itself, the simple solution is that the events of the film separate Bruce from his team, thus leading to the meeting of and eventual rise of the "World's Finest" as he and Superman go from adversaries to allies. Scenes leading up to the main events could show Bruce together with the others in Gotham, the Batcave, the Manor, or just talking to them as Bruce Wayne while on a function for Wayne Enterprises. Personally I'd prefer to see them all in action quickly just to showcase their teamwork and different fighting styles and appearances, but even if that had to be saved for a later film it would work because we'd be anticipating the next film.

What do you all think? Should the new Batman have a sidekick or more? Does it detract from the character to do so? Would you stick with the historic naming conventions or go with something else?

Personally I'd mix just a bit and go with to ensure there is no mixing of the "Bat-" moniker:

Dick Grayson - Nightwing; the more established black and blue design but with a "near Batman-esque" cowl that has shorter, more pointed ear pieces.

Cassandra Cain - Huntress; same color scheme as the traditional Huntress look but a full body suit with a simple mask that doesn't cover the mouth because I don't think the stitch work look would work for a live action depiction.

Tim Drake - Robin; wearing a body suit closer in look to his pre-52 solo title as Red Robin than the traditional Robin suit or the horrible new 52 look

as you might be able to guess, I hate using the domino mask idea in live action. Think it looks horrible and to do these characters correctly and best portray them as greater than human despite the contrary you have to hide more of their face in order to fully separate their appearances and subsequent attitudes for the audience. I mixed Cassandra with Huntress simply to get rid of needing to use Black Bat, Batgirl, or Batwoman. Only one Bat- name allowed and it makes each character more distinct rather than the female copy of Batman or the younger versions of Batman.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

I'd much rather Bats be on his own in MOS2 while he's in metropolis. But if I had to choose, I guess Dick would be cool to have as the sidekick.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah he'd be on his own in Metropolis as that sets up the World's Finest aspect of the film. I just mean that we the audience would know his sidekick(s) is/are back in Gotham and if we start with a scene of him in Gotham at least one of them is there as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e870e328354a
    deactivated-5e870e328354a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dick Grayson but with a costume similar to Tim's in Arkham City.

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think they will have Robin in the film.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If they put one of Bat's sidekicks in the movie it would render the whole thing of this being a Superman movie. If it's like a cameo like he's in the cave telling them and Alfred he is going to Metropolis then its fine other than that no.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People will belive Tim Drake is John Blake or worst, will confirm this crazy idea that John Blake was Dick Grayson.

I mean as much as i like the theory of they being in the cinematic universe, they would work better in the Teen Titans Movies, Young Justice or even Nightwing that with Batman.

Worst since thie time is going to be working with Superman, too many character would ruin this movies, since every character you introduce needs to be explain, having the Batfamily, it would mean to explain a bunch of new characters and characters people dont even know.

Nerd arent even the 5% of people watching movies.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By the_tree

If they do put a Robin in the movie, it should be Dick. If they're going to start off a universe, I'd like to see the character progression of Dick as Robin, I don't want it where he's just plopped into the Nightwing role and we gloss over his history.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Naw

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, Robin shouldn't be in a movie called Batman/Superman.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

While I don't want to see Batman's origins retold, with DC introducing a new Batman, I do want him to be a young, less experienced Batman. I feel that This movie should focus on Superman and Batman, and while I do want Robin in the movies, I feel he would be better suited for Batman's solo movies rather than a team-up movie like Batman/Superman.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@rustyroy said:

No, Robin shouldn't be in a movie called Batman/Superman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.