Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Newbie looking for help.

JmzMc89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JmzMc89

So as you probably have already gathered from the title, Im a noob at this.

I want to read the Batman graphic novels but I am confused. I have read online that Batman - Year One is the one to start with but then it gets confusing.

What does TP stand for? Is this a bunch of comics with the "same" storyline in one graphic novel? I am very confused and I really want to read them properly and not miss anything.

Do you really need to go back and read the comics from the 1940s or do these graphic novels cover these stories?

Please help.

JmzMc89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also I have seen graphic novel Batman: The Man Who Laughs TP. Is this novel the same story as the first appearance of the Joker in the comics??

Can anyone else see why I'm confused?

arkhamace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything was rebooted with "New 52" in 2011. Batman Year One is not canon anymore. The old storys can be fun though. The Animated Series Batman is not canon but there are things which are reused. Batman has ever an "alfred" "batcave" so these are things which count even if his universe got rebooted. Superman got even a canon "faora" in his comics from the movie "man of steel" so everything is influencing.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A "TP" is a trade paperback, that collects a set of issues making up a story arc.

Here's some comic advice, don't worry about reading in the right order, because there has been so many stories over the past 75 years that there's no point in trying to make sense of it all. Instead, just pick up any book that sounds interesting, and read. Follow certain writers on the titles that you like.

Some suggestions to pick up:

Year One

The Long Halloween/Dark Victory

The Dark Knight Returns

The Black Mirror

Hush

The Man Who Laughs

Heart of Hush

No Man's Land

Gates of Gotham

gothamknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gothamknight

"Do you really need to go back and read the comics from the 1940s ?"

No because in 2011 everything was rebooted so you don't have to read anything that came before Scott Snyder took over as the main writer for the character so whatever doesn't have his name on it doesn't need to be read.

this is what you need to read to be up to date with Batman's current story in order :

Batman 21-24 are collected in Batman vol 4 : zero year-secret city

Batman 25-27,29-33 are collected in Batman vol 5 : zero year-dark city.

Batman 1-7 are collected in Batman vol 1 : the court of owls.

Batman 8-12&annual 1 are collected in Batman vol 2 : the city of owls.

Batman 13-17 are collected in Batman vol 3 : death of the family.

Batman eternal 1-21 are collected in Batman eternal vol 1.

Batman eternal 22-34 are collected in Batman eternal vol 2.

Batman eternal 35-52 are collected in Batman eternal vol 3.

Batman 35-40 are collected in Batman vol 7 : end game.

Batman 0,18-20,28,34&annual 2 are collected in Batman vol 6 : graveyard shifts.

The issues in vol 6 are mini stories that take place between the 9 books above :

batman 0's main story takes place before batman 21 while it's back up takes place after batman 33.

batman 18-20 take place after batman 17.

annual 2 takes place after batman 20.

batman 28 is a preview of what's in eternal so you can skip it if you want.

batman 34 takes place after batman eternal 52.

The best thing about Snyder's run is that you don't have to read anything else unlike other characters such as Green Lantern & Superman for example that force you to read more then 1 title.

JmzMc89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys, I have started with Batman: Year One and I have also got The Man Who Laughs and Long Halloween.

But I think I am just gonna buy the Batman New 52 volumes. Im really looking for Villain origin stories and the comics aren't really clear of when these guys come into them.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By jb681131

@jmzmc89 : here is an almost complete list of modern Batman TP (or TPB) in chronological order. The important stories are in bold :

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/batshrine/blog/batman-tpb-complete-chronology/79247/

For vilains origins I can try to give you some stories to understand who they are, but not all the vilains have a clear story like for the misterious Joker !

• Two-Face : The long halloween
    • Joker : The man who laughs
    • Bane : Vengeance of Bane (printed in Knightfall vol 1)
    • Hush : Hush
    • Red Hood : Under the Red Hood
    • Pinguin : Pain and Prejudice
    • Court of Owls : Court of Owls
    • Scarcrow : Dark Knight - the cycle of violance
    • Mad hatter : Dark Knight - mad
    • Clayface : Dark Knight - clay
    • Hugo Strange : Prey (and Terror its sequel)
    • Humpty Dumpler : Arkham - Living hell
    • Ras al ghul : Birth of the demon tpb (Son of the demon + Bride of the demon + Birth of the demon)
    • Others : read "Secret Origins"

Many vilains are missing : Poinson Ivy, Killer Croc, Mr. Freeze, Harley Quinn, Manbat, the riddler, catwoman, lady shiva, ...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.