Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

New to comics

rjaultman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rjaultman

Hello everyone,

I have been a reader of graphic novels for quite some time now and have been looking to get into monthly comics for a long time. So my question for you all is, if I wanted to read Batman stories but did not have money to buy all of the batman family comics monthly (Batman, Detective Comics, The Dark Knight, Batman and Robin, etc...) Would I still be able to get most of the story from just reading one line, and which one should I read. My first thought was just the Batman one but I'm not sure anymore if one of the other ones are better. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

selinaky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By selinaky

Welcome @rjaultman: !

If you are starting from the New 52, I'd recommend going with Batman.

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
    Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Manbehindthewires

Welcome! Of the new comics, regular Batman would be the best starting point. At the moment, due to the Death of the Family Crossover, many of the other batman comics are tied into it (batman and robin, detective, batgirl, nightwing, red hood etc) so if you bought another, you'd probably end up buying it anyway haha. If you want a standalone series Batman Inc and Batman: Dark Knight are both pretty good...I'd still go with Batman though.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By havoc1201

Batman Snyder is killing it, its great if you only go with one book make it Batman and you will not regret it.

rjaultman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rjaultman

Ok thank you all for the advice! I will definitely start with Batman and work my way out!

@havoc1201: @Manbehindthewires: @Selinaky:

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By batshrine

@rjaultman: So Batman is definitely the best of them all. But to answer your question, they all have separate storylines so there is no "main" storyline. Batman has lead the past 2 cross overs though. And if you buy collected editions, I would recommend getting the first arc of Batman and Robin.

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
    Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Manbehindthewires

@rjaultman: good luck! Batman #16 is out tomorrow. Be sure to post back on here after you read it to let us know what you think!

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By roboadmiral

You'll be fine if you stick with the core Batman title. The others are of (to put it mildly) highly variable quality and you don't need them to understand what happens in Batman.

rjaultman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rjaultman

Ok thanks everyone!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.