Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

New to Batman

CastleEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CastleEcho

So I'm new to batman and I want to add one to my pull-box, which one would you guys recommend?

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By havoc1201

if its just one Batman its great

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
    Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Manbehindthewires
    tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By tupiaz

@Manbehindthewires said:

@CastleEcho: Of the current Batman's, I'm a fan of New 52 Batman, and Detective Comics.

If you're new to Batman altogether, here's some good "essential" past runs to check out (most are available as paperbacks if you want to keep the cost down)

I would rather read Jeph Loeb's The Long Halloween, Haunted Knight and Dark Victory in that order than Hush. Hush is IMO a rather weak character that is just plain stupid, hollow and unrealistic. Jeph Loeb does phasing really well and work great with a lot of characters at once. However creating new characters is not his strong suit. . Also Venom is worth a read.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By akbogert

@CastleEcho: I'm new to Batman as well, and I've read all of Batman, Batgirl, Red Hood and the Outlaws, as well as the first story arc of Catwoman and Detective Comics. Without a doubt if I had to pick one I'd say Batman, both because it's consistently great, and because Scott Snyder (its writer) engineered the major events since the relaunch in the Bat-verse, so the best books that are part of the crossovers are the ones in his own series.

My own wishlist of backlogged bat backstories is an amalgam of the suggested ones here, but by all means read The Killing Joke because it's one of the major events that was maintained in New 52 continuity and is, quite frankly, a brilliant story in its own right, Batman or otherwise.

torrenter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By torrenter

long halloween was a good one, hush is great, I'm not to fond of killing joke, knightfall was also good.

manbehindthewires i don't see how hush is any hallower than the joker lol. hes a good change from the regular villains

CastleEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CastleEcho

Thank you guys very much! But, just wondering, why not The Dark Knight?

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By roboadmiral

@CastleEcho: I'm not sure how it's doing now, but for a long time it was getting abysmal reviews, so I just stopped checking to see if it was getting good yet.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dayvid3

I'm pretty jaded against him just from online fans and he's too powerful and jerky in the toons. But actually I've found the new 52 pretty good.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tupiaz

@torrenter said:

long halloween was a good one, hush is great, I'm not to fond of killing joke, knightfall was also good.

manbehindthewires i don't see how hush is any hallower than the joker lol. hes a good change from the regular villains

Because his hatred towards Bruce is so plain stupid, boring, irrational (even for an insane villain in a comic book). Come on, I wanted to loose my parents too? Seriosuly? Is that something you are jealous about? I'm not trying to be a moral gatekeeper here. I'm trying to show how little sense the character has.

PS: Next time you feel like saying anything about what I'm posting please either quote me or reply me. Referring to a post indirectly is not cool. Either address your opinion to those you are arguing against or don't comment on them at all.

Thank you.

RedHood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RedHood22

Definitely Scott Snyder's Batman. As for trades: The Killing Joke, Year One are great for more modern writing. Knightfall and A Death in the Family are good overall stories.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FatihBATMAN

I would say: Batman: Four of a kind, Year One.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#13  Edited By Joygirl

The important bit to remember is that he wins.

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
    Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@tupiaz: Oh! how could I forget Long Halloween! good shout :)

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FatihBATMAN

I think that the Legends of the Dark Knight before new 52 is pretty nice, theres some good stories there also :)

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Skewer

Some of Paul dini's run on detective comics is worth a look.(detective, private case book, city of crime)

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#17  Edited By akbogert

@CastleEcho said:

Thank you guys very much! But, just wondering, why not The Dark Knight?

I'm no expert, but someone here did write "The Dark Knight" Sucks! not too long ago which might be illuminating.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FatihBATMAN

Knightfall sagas!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.