Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

New reader, couple of questions

bornlivedie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I started reading comics a few months ago (I'm 25). With Batman, I started with Year One, The Man Who Laughs, The Long Halloween & Dark Victory, Robin Year One and just finished The Killing Joke.

How the heck does Barbara Gordon Bruce Wayne is Batman? It wasn't on any of the comics I've read.

Second, hwo come in Year One Bruce Wayne is 25 years old and in the Killing Joke, Barbara looks like 30 and Batman... well... 30 as well, or even younger. Is this considered canon or what?

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@bornlivedie: Barbara was Batgirl before she was shot and became Oracle.

Secondly Year One isn't really canon but alot of fans consider it to be. It's actually only canon to Earth-31 which is the canon of the Dark Knight Returns and All Star Batman and Robin.

bornlivedie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Secondly Year One isn't really canon but alot of fans consider it to be. It's actually only canon to Earth-31 which is the canon of the Dark Knight Returns and All Star Batman and Robin.

Forgot about Year One... sorry.

So, If I wanted to read about the origins of Batgirl, where could I start?

I feel like I'm missing 80% of the story reading the essentials and nothing else. It was so much more easier with Spider-Man...

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@ultrastarkiller said:

Don't worry about it.

There's an amazing story called Batgirl Year One.

I feel like I'm missing 80% of the story reading the essentials and nothing else. It was so much more easier with Spider-Man...

It's ok man as long as you read the Grant Morrison stuff you'll be better than ok. lol

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultrastarkiller said:

Here's a list of Batman books in chronological order but take my advise, don't worry about chronology just read the good ones. If you have any doubts then you can find it on the internet or ask here.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.