Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

New Batman reboot

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JamDamage

Now that we've seen a Batman film rooted in realism (as close as we're going to get) and it's finally over a reboot is coming. It's already confirmed. W.B. just can't pass up that kind of money to be made. Now these Batman films have ALL been great, and the biggest part of it is because of the realism. That and the darker tone. It's worked so well being dark that there are so many comic films becoming darker. With the reboot tho, what I want to know from my fellow Comic Vine brothers and sisters, is do you want it to remain as real as it could get still. Batman has showed that it needs to remain dark and edgy, but now do we want to see the outrageous. Do we want to see characters like Mr. Freeze and Clayface? Or do we use the more human villains like Penguin or Riddler. Riddler, to me, seems like he'd be hard to do. The Penguin isn't even a crazy bastard like the rest of Batmans rouges. He's just a gangster. I'm undecided on what I want the reboot to be. I'm sure there are some of you out there who want one or the other and have their ideas on how they want that. Right now, I'm hoping for John Blake to continue as Batman and we get a story of his journey of becoming Batman. One that shows what he didn't see in Bruce Wayne before he joined the League of Shadows. Bruce obviously learned differant martial arts, Liem Neeson proved this by calling out the differant fighting stances that Bruce got into when he fought him the first time.

ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ratman19

no more batman movies they need to focus on other charecters. i love batman but there are other charecters who need there time in the spotlight like swamp thing or aquaman. they should make a wonder woman or a flash movie.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JamDamage

@ratman19: It's inevitable. W.B. has already said there will be a reboot because of the money they'd make. Not just off of the film, but with the merchandise. Toys, shirts, etc. etc. Plus Batman can be used lke James Bond. Over and over.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By moywar700

I want to see other batman villains like mr.freeze,the riddler, or the poison ivy.I want to make it sooo unreal. Make batman a MASTER DETECTIVE unlike he's nolan counter-part. I want it comic-booky.Have his supporting cast like baraba gordon,dick grayson, and possibly catwoman.

No orgins movie pls. That's one of the reasons I disliked spider-man I want the batcave and the bat-mobile.I want batarangs and I want batman's gadgets to be impressive.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @ratman19 said:

no more batman movies they need to focus on other charecters. i love batman but there are other charecters who need there time in the spotlight like swamp thing or aquaman. they should make a wonder woman or a flash movie.

Do you know what makes those obscure character's films financially viable?  

Yup, Batman.  
    ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ARMIV2

No, no more Batman. DC needs to get off of him. They need to get off of milking Batman every way they can, especially when it is sooooooo not fitting for them to do so.

Milk someone else for a change. Green Lantern mayhaps? Or hey, how 'bout Wonder Woman? SOMEBODY ELSE.

Sorry about that. Needed to vent.

spartan177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By spartan177

They did a fine job with Batman. Now, they should focus on giving Superman a deserving movie treatment.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By SupBatz

If there's going to be another Batman film, WB should wait a bit of time before they begin to work on it. Nolan's trilogy is still fresh on everybody's minds so a reboot would need to come in a minimum of five years if WB wants there to even be a chance of people not having Nolan's mindset on too thick.

I definitely think that they should lose the realism angle. Batman, like other comic book characters, comes from a fantastic and unrealistic universe. I want a film series which is ready to embrace more fantastic circumstances and villains (such as Clayface, or Croc, or Man-Bat) while retaining the dark, intelligent, and serious tone that prevailed throughout Nolan's series. I'm sick of realism already. The Dark Knight trilogy, the upcoming Man of Steel, and the upcoming Arrow tv series all are supposed to be grounded in realism...that's all fine but I hope DC doesn't limit itself like this for too much longer.

Also, I don't think it's fair or intelligent for people to say that WB should be done with Batman now. While it is true that they should also try to highlight other characters, it is pretty safe to say that Batman is their most successful character. As long as good movies are made about him, I will see them. To say: "Ok, I've seen enough Batman. I'm done now." doesn't make sense. I don't care how many Batman or Superman or X-Men or Spiderman movies are released, so long as they're all great films.

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LuigiBat

If they are going to reboot Batman they need to wait for a while before doing so, about 5 years would do it just because the Nolan trilogy is still on everyone's minds.

I really hope that they push the boat out with any new films, they need to embrace the more fantastical side of Batman and explore some of the other villains. I'd also say that they need to get Robin (Dick Grayson) involved again in a series and perhaps explore his transition from Robin to Nightwing so as to add another dimension to the narrative.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Deranged Midget

Personally, if DC's next step is to tie Batman into the Justice League film, I believe they have to choose which form of Batman they want to represent. Nolan's realistic version or a more true to the comics incarnation.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By entropy_aegis

@ratman19 said:

@ARMIV2 said:

No, no more Batman. DC needs to get off of him. They need to get off of milking Batman every way they can, especially when it is sooooooo not fitting for them to do so.

Milk someone else for a change. Green Lantern mayhaps? Or hey, how 'bout Wonder Woman? SOMEBODY ELSE.

Sorry about that. Needed to vent.

Batman is not responsible for the failure of those franchises.@SupBatz said:

If there's going to be another Batman film, WB should wait a bit of time before they begin to work on it. Nolan's trilogy is still fresh on everybody's minds so a reboot would need to come in a minimum of five years if WB wants there to even be a chance of people not having Nolan's mindset on too thick.

I definitely think that they should lose the realism angle. Batman, like other comic book characters, comes from a fantastic and unrealistic universe. I want a film series which is ready to embrace more fantastic circumstances and villains (such as Clayface, or Croc, or Man-Bat) while retaining the dark, intelligent, and serious tone that prevailed throughout Nolan's series. I'm sick of realism already. The Dark Knight trilogy, the upcoming Man of Steel, and the upcoming Arrow tv series all are supposed to be grounded in realism...that's all fine but I hope DC doesn't limit itself like this for too much longer.

Also, I don't think it's fair or intelligent for people to say that WB should be done with Batman now. While it is true that they should also try to highlight other characters, it is pretty safe to say that Batman is their most successful character. As long as good movies are made about him, I will see them. To say: "Ok, I've seen enough Batman. I'm done now." doesn't make sense. I don't care how many Batman or Superman or X-Men or Spiderman movies are released, so long as they're all great films.

The problem with those villains is not that they are unrealistic,it's just that they suck hard.Part of the appeal of Nolan's villains is that he chose characters that can be depicted by human actors and in a way that you can end up rooting for the villains.Guys like Clayface,Man-Bat and Croc? I ask you to see Van Helsing and TASM.You'll get your Man-Bat and Croc and why should anyone think that they're awesome.

Avatar image for eatmore_payless
    eatmore_payless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By eatmore_payless

I want it to stay as realistic as the TDK franchise. I mean seriously Nolan didn't just waste his money making a movie, he made a message to the world on what is really going on. He showed the dark side of the reality, Murder, Crimes, Terrorism, and violence. He showed that even if you live on a chaotic world there will always be someone/people willing to do whats right. That's what makes his movies an epic trilogy. And that is enough to me. There's no need to do another reboot, cuz even if they do I wouldn't bother watching it, I'd rather play COD.

ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ratman19

i just want DC to put there other charecters out there marvel is doing it. why not DC do it, just making more and more batman and superman movies pretty much confirms to non-comic book readers that theres no more to DC than batman and superman. Marvels making movies about lesser known charecters why not DC do it. im ok with a less realistic reboot but they should wait awhile for it though and focus on other heroes.

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

God Entropy is right. Those villains suck balls, maybe a villain like Blackmask or a newly created one.

Romulus9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Romulus9000

@JamDamage: See, your opinion, in my opinion, is what is wrong with some comic movies. Why was Kick Ass so good? Because they took Millar's book and tried to capture every aspect of what made it great. Including the fact that an 11 hyear old girl was running around murdering people. Batman and Robin at it's most classic form is Batman and a child running around fighting crime. The fun loving bouncy child crime fighter is the light to Batman's dark. I do not give a flying F___ that it is not realistic. It's a comic book, we can bend our imagination a little bit here. I am sick and tired of people trying to bring realism at the expense of the book or film.

This is why i HATE Frank Miller. Now everything has to be real and dark and gritty. Some of that is good and yes it is amazing, for the most part, for batman, but the whole point to robin is that a child is the one thing that keeps batman from going over the edge.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#16  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Focus on Other characters... Too much Batman

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By SupBatz

@entropy_aegis said:

@SupBatz said:

The problem with those villains is not that they are unrealistic,it's just that they suck hard.Part of the appeal of Nolan's villains is that he chose characters that can be depicted by human actors and in a way that you can end up rooting for the villains.Guys like Clayface,Man-Bat and Croc? I ask you to see Van Helsing and TASM.You'll get your Man-Bat and Croc and why should anyone think that they're awesome.

@comicdude23 said:

God Entropy is right. Those villains suck balls, maybe a villain like Blackmask or a newly created one.

I very strongly disagree with you. If handled properly, think any of those characters can be made very interesting. To pick out just one, bring to mind Clayface's appearance in the DCAU. He was undoubtably one of the most interesting and sympathetic villains. The problem is that he doesn't have any memorable stories in the comics and he hasn't been handled as best as he could be by writers. And think of Croc in Joker's Asylum. If writers tried to build around that sort of depiction of Croc then he has the potential to be a far more interesting character. I don't think any Batman character "sucks". All of them have the potential to be both interesting and theatening.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.