Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

(NEW 52) How does the Joker talk without a face?

TerrellV13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TerrellV13

This is really a double question. My first question is, how can the Joker speak with no face? Sure he has his face, but it's not connected. That way, he'd sound like "This ish not a shile ny hahse has rhit ahh dy the dollnashter." (Translation: This is not a smile, my face was ripped off bythe Dollmaster.) How the hell can anyone understand a word he is saying? My second question is, what does the joker sound like to you? Usually, it's Mark Hamill, but after the whole face getting cut of thingy, he sounds like Jigsaw with a killer lisp and frozen lips.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
    deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does Joker talk without a face... well it's a comicbook, that's how. And the Joker will always sound like Hamill too me.

TerrellV13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TerrellV13

@_slim_: Lol fair enough

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RedK

i think that his face was only cut off to the top of his lips, as in he still has the parts where you'd put lipstick, but not any of the skin above where you'd grow a mustache

TerrellV13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TerrellV13

@RedK: The whole face is gone.

gridde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gridde

Batman's rogues gallery includes a sentient mass of clay, a girl who controls plants, an immortal and a talking crocodile, and you're concerned with how someone can talk with facial injuries?

Just employ some suspension of disbelief and all your troubles will float away.

KZR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KZR

He cut off his face, he didn't cut out his tongue.

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RedK

@TerrellV13: my bad just, went back and re-read batman and robin 15

@KZR said:

try saying the letter M, with out your lips touching, i think thats the point thats being made, how his speeach hasn't been affected from losing his lips not his ability t talk as a whole

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By z3ro180

@RedK: Did the jocke cut his own face off if so why or did someone cut it off and if so why ?

KZR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KZR

@RedK: I see what you mean and well frankly I'm a little confused as to how he's still able to talk.

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
    The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The same way Thor talks in space and superman fly.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cameron83

@KZR said:

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

The same way Thor talks in space and superman fly.

@Z3RO180 said:

@RedK: Did the jocke cut his own face off if so why or did someone cut it off and if so why ?

Someone else did.

@TerrellV13 said:

This is really a double question. My first question is, how can the Joker speak with no face? Sure he has his face, but it's not connected. That way, he'd sound like "This ish not a shile ny hahse has rhit ahh dy the dollnashter." (Translation: This is not a smile, my face was ripped off bythe Dollmaster.) How the hell can anyone understand a word he is saying? My second question is, what does the joker sound like to you? Usually, it's Mark Hamill, but after the whole face getting cut of thingy, he sounds like Jigsaw with a killer lisp and frozen lips.

Dude,while you rant about this,you can also ask how did joker survive falling in a vat of acid.But anyway,to the point,Joker did re-attach it and it probably healed.You are forgetting that Joker is one of those characters that will get shot and it won't really hurt him....he'll just heal or come back later...somehow.So worrying about this is just....silly.

Besides,the look is temporary,so it doesn't really matter.His lips ARE actually touching.He did more than just tape his face back on...if you actually looked closely,you would see how he could talk,it isn't hanging loosely off of his face.

TerrellV13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TerrellV13

@cameron83:Who said I was ranting? I was merely asking a logical question. And before you go all, "suspension of belief, it's just a comic, blah blah blah..." Just think about it. his face is NOT reattached. It's hanging off of his skill with paperclips or some sh*t. There's no way he can move his lips dude.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Twentyfive

His mouth muscle and tongue are still in tact. You will be able to see it once your face is ripped off.

TerrellV13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TerrellV13

@Twentyfive: I'm not talking about speaking, I'm talking about the consonants b,f,m,o,p,q,r,u,v,w and y. Without his lips, how can anyone understand a word he is saying?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By InnerVenom123

How does Two-Face talk with only half a face?

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Twentyfive

@TerrellV13: I was just thinking about it, and you are completely right. Just one of those things that for the sake of the universe, you are not supposed to question.

TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheCowman

The Joker has actually planned everything out so well, that he'd already recorded every bit of potential conversation he would need before he had his face cut off. And utilizing hidden buttons in his gloves and pockets, he plays it back using a simple MP3 player and high-tech mini-speakers he's sewn into his throat.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cameron83

@TerrellV13: well,when I said rant,I was kinda exaggerating.It's just my diction,sorry if I came off a little rude.But he doesn't have it attached loosely by paperclips,it;s like some sort of tight attachment-thingy (sorry,my brain is REALLY foggy,so it's hard to focus) that attaches his face tightly.Maybe it's in an artist thing (most likely),but some artist make it look a little loose,but others mainly show it attached tightly to his face.So it's basically forced back on...I like it,but it's not permanent (which is good)

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Kal'smahboi

Clearly he still has the lips. They've shown images where he's smiling behind the face. Also, I've had a theory that it isn't the joker at all. That would solve it, too.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By havoc1201

to me his voice goes from mark to heath depending on the dialog and the story line

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By serpent222

Ignoring all the intricacies and sub questions posed on the issues, I'll simply throw out this to be devil's advocate here. In the midst of his madness, planning, and boredom it is not wholly unreasonable to believe that one of Joker's skills is ventriloquism. He may well be versed in speaking without having to completely utilize his lips. Obviously, some sounds would be off, but you could understand him. Then it is no stretch to believe that the speech we hear from him is the interpretation of whomever is listening. Granted they are likely fearful of the situation, they may not notice the sounds and hear exactly what he means to sound like.

TerrellV13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TerrellV13

@Twentyfive: You know, I think you're right.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Bruxae

Try talking while holding your lips, its quite easy except for M, and it would be more an annoyance then anything else if they removed all M's in Joker comics.

Besides it does look like he still got atleast pieces of his lips there.

EDIT: just went through the alphabet myself lol, P is quite hard too.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By TDK_1997

HAHAHAHA.........easily!

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By sinestro_GL

Actually, I think Joker's face would have been healed by now...in the sense that his face should be covered in scars and not look so bloody...and speaking of which, wouldn't his 'cut-off' face be decomposed by now?

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JoeEddie

@serpent222 said:

Ignoring all the intricacies and sub questions posed on the issues, I'll simply throw out this to be devil's advocate here. In the midst of his madness, planning, and boredom it is not wholly unreasonable to believe that one of Joker's skills is ventriloquism. He may well be versed in speaking without having to completely utilize his lips. Obviously, some sounds would be off, but you could understand him. Then it is no stretch to believe that the speech we hear from him is the interpretation of whomever is listening. Granted they are likely fearful of the situation, they may not notice the sounds and hear exactly what he means to sound like.

I like this idea.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By chasereis

I'm still not convinced that it really is the Joker. Why the hell would he cut off his face especially without an audience or some master plan with a point to cutting his face off. Joker isn't the kind of person that would "cut his hair" when he's bummed out and eating rocky road ice cream. Besides Joker never took an interest in bats group before, its probably Hush or someone new that gave Joker something for his face. And the way he treated Harley wasn't "funny", so no, its not Joker. My opinion...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.