Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23647 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Need help with batman 52

rico_3088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rico_3088

I am new to DC but jumped in when it they started the 52 thing. I am collecting Justice League and Batman. I was looking around and saw like 2 other batman books, the dark knight and detective comics. I wanted to know the difference between the books can someone please help a marvel guy out?

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Nighthunter

They are just a way for us to get our batman dosis weekly, the dark knight is like a blockbuster movie that is full of action and detective comics has a darker and grittier vibe to it.

Batman is by far the best book, but Detective Comics is also quite good. I hate the dark knight comic though

rico_3088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rico_3088

@Nighthunter: I think i will check out the detective comics because batman is a dark character

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @Nighthunter said:

They are just a way for us to get our batman dosis weekly, the dark knight is like a blockbuster movie that is full of action and detective comics has a darker and grittier vibe to it.

Batman is by far the best book, but Detective Comics is also quite good. I hate the dark knight comic though

I don't know. I personally preferred Detective Comics to Batman, but that's me. I didn't get Dark Knight or Batman and Robin.
    .o0Johnny0o.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By .o0Johnny0o.

If I can remember correctly...

JLA is starting just over five years ago when superheroes are just starting to be 'outed' and known world-wide. Whereas Detective / Batman / Batman and Robin / Nightwing (the first Robin that has moved on) are all happening at the same time presently.

You've entered at a confusing age, where continuity is a bit blurry in DC. Before the DCU reboot 'Batman' was your typical superhero romp, in continuity. Whereas Detective Comics were sort of a little-bit-on--the-side stories. Not to say they weren't as good to read (in fact, I preferred the later Detective Comics stuff before the 'relaunch'). Basically, if you love Batman, you'll get both. If you're stuck for cash, just stick for Batman (Scott Synder's writing it and he is on form at the moment)

rico_3088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rico_3088

thanks so you think stay with batman, maybe pick up detective comics.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By _Zombie_

@rico_3088 said:

thanks so you think stay with batman, maybe pick up detective comics.

It's what I plan to do. Stick with the main Batman title and give Detective Comics a try.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Daveyo520

I would avoid The Dark Knight. I don't think it is very good.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By BatteredArmor

you may also want to pick up Batman and Robin everyonce in a while it's decent not as good as batman or detective but it doesn't hurt to peek in

rico_3088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rico_3088

what kind of plots does batman and robin have.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Durakken

Batman is well written and actually gets the characters and the background...

Detective Comics currently seems to be focused on gore and not the "detective" side that it is supposed to be...

Batman: The Dark Knight is supposed to be about Batman's black book files, the cases that have a magical side to them...

Batman and Robin is about the adventures of those two characters... however the characters don't act right...

My reccomendation is Batman > TDK > 'Tec > Batman and Robin

NX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NX
    @Durakken said:

Batman is well written and actually gets the characters and the background...

Detective Comics currently seems to be focused on gore and not the "detective" side that it is supposed to be...

Batman: The Dark Knight is supposed to be about Batman's black book files, the cases that have a magical side to them...

Batman and Robin is about the adventures of those two characters... however the characters don't act right...

My reccomendation is Batman > TDK > 'Tec > Batman and Robin

I wonder if they will come out with an even newer version of batman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.