Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Name should stay Bruce.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By johnny_spam

I think that this article should not change the real name to Dick Grayson since he has his own article. And he should not take over this one I still keep seeing the real name listed as Dick Grayson when this is clearly Bruce's page.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DEGRAAF

i say it is  batman and right now batman is Dick so i think the stricle should be changed to Dicks name. It only seems fair and right. Bruce isnt batman anymore.

Bruce, Dick and Batman should each have their own pages. Dick should be linked to batman right now

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By SUNMAN

it should change to Dick, because currently he is Batman

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By johnny_spam
    @SUNMAN:

Dick has his own page and if anything should change it should be his main picture to one of him as Batman (I would but I don't know how to change it) this page gives a very detailed history of Bruce Wayne and not Dick Grayson at that alone should be reason not to change it.Batman Reborn is about Dick acting like Batman and trying to fill in for Bruce, besides at some poiint we may see a flashback or out of continunity story where Bruce is still Batman.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SUNMAN
    @johnny spam: than just pm a mod or staff member, they will listen to you and if they think you have a good point I am sure they will try and make the adjustments
    Psychotime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Psychotime

I agree wholehearted. This is the only problem the encyclopedia has. It doesn't work when it comes to people switching mantles. There shouldn't be pages for a secret identity that gets traded around and Batman shouldn't be treated as such. He's Bruce Wayne, and always has been. Grayson's only temporary.

EDIT: Better yet, maybe the encyclopedia should work in a way that one could refer to a character when they take a specific identity. Like for the current Batman run, we can type in Dick Grayson as a character, but it should allow a subsection to note that he's either Batman, Robin, Nightwing, or anything else in the issue.

It'd make it much easier to search for the issues where a character is a specific identity. Like search for every issue where Spoiler was Robin for a little while.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SUNMAN
    @Psychotime said:
    " I agree wholehearted. This is the only problem the encyclopedia has. It doesn't work when it comes to people switching mantles. There shouldn't be pages for a secret identity that gets traded around and Batman shouldn't be treated as such. He's Bruce Wayne, and always has been. Grayson's only temporary. "
    so you assume
    Xypher07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Xypher07

I think Bruce'll be gone for at least two years and if the titles popular enough possibly longer.  It's all about the money and right now we are made to assume it will be permanent so for the sake of these articles that's what we should assume.  Rebooting series like Batman and Robin and Red Robin does not suggest this will be a short term move.

Psychotime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Psychotime
    @Xypher07 said:
    " I think Bruce'll be gone for at least two years and if the titles popular enough possibly longer.  It's all about the money and right now we are made to assume it will be permanent so for the sake of these articles that's what we should assume.  Rebooting series like Batman and Robin and Red Robin does not suggest this will be a short term move. "
    What reboot? There never actually was any comic named Batman and Robin before this one (yeah, I was surprised, too.) Anyway, Morrison says that he'll be writing for Batman until maybe 2010, and that he'll finish everything he wants to do by then. He's making a 5 volume story for Batman.

1. Batman and Son
    2. The Black Glove
    3. R.I.P
    4. Batman and Robin
    5. ???
    He says that he still needs to bring Bruce back home somehow, and that's probably what the last volume will be. Batman and Robin (at least under Morrison's writing) is only going for so long. Red Robin will probably be ongoing, because I doubt Tim will trade in the new suit just because his dad comes back home.
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By johnny_spam

I think it's so stupid that superhero mantles have there own pages like Batgirl but sometimes there is no page for the character that uses that name like Cassandra so this should be Batman/Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson's should just be named Dick Grayson since he has had the names Robin, Nightwing and now Batman.

Xypher07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Xypher07
    @Psychotime said:
    " @Xypher07 said:
    " I think Bruce'll be gone for at least two years and if the titles popular enough possibly longer.  It's all about the money and right now we are made to assume it will be permanent so for the sake of these articles that's what we should assume.  Rebooting series like Batman and Robin and Red Robin does not suggest this will be a short term move. "
    What reboot? There never actually was any comic named Batman and Robin before this one (yeah, I was surprised, too.) Anyway, Morrison says that he'll be writing for Batman until maybe 2010, and that he'll finish everything he wants to do by then. He's making a 5 volume story for Batman.

1. Batman and Son
    2. The Black Glove
    3. R.I.P
    4. Batman and Robin
    5. ???
    He says that he still needs to bring Bruce back home somehow, and that's probably what the last volume will be. Batman and Robin (at least under Morrison's writing) is only going for so long. Red Robin will probably be ongoing, because I doubt Tim will trade in the new suit just because his dad comes back home. "
    Very valid point.  I was kind of considering it a reboot on the batman and robin adventures, but in retrospect that ended in 97.  It's been a while since I've read more in the bat universe than just batman so excuse my poor memory.  Still I guess my point then becomes beginning new titles using these characters still suggests a little more long term planning than Bruce coming back soon.  I am curious as to whether you have a link for Morrison saying that because I haven't seen anything concrete from Morrison's mouth on the subject of Bruce coming back, only other's speculations on what Morrison may do with the character.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @johnny spam said:
    "@SUNMAN:

Dick has his own page and if anything should change it should be his main picture to one of him as Batman (I would but I don't know how to change it) this page gives a very detailed history of Bruce Wayne and not Dick Grayson at that alone should be reason not to change it.Batman Reborn is about Dick acting like Batman and trying to fill in for Bruce, besides at some poiint we may see a flashback or out of continunity story where Bruce is still Batman.

"
    But it is about batman and no matter how long bruce was batman Dcik is now batman and it belongs to him
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By johnny_spam

Even Grant Morrison said this would not be permanent (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20487) I like the story and would prefer Bruce to stay gone at least two years but Batman and Robin is supposed to last one year. This is Bruce's page and should stay that way.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DEGRAAF

you have to know that he would only be gone a year. They do these huge crisis stories than after they are over the big three take a year off or away from the JL and mostly everything else. They all get cut back or not seen at all for a year after each of them

Psychotime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Psychotime
    @Xypher07: Looks like Johnny Spam already posted it.
    Xypher07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Xypher07
    @johnny spam and @psychotime: Thanks.  Just to clarify cuz after re-reading my post it may have come off like I was doubting you.  I just hadn't seen this yet.
    Lantern Goodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lantern Goodey

the thing is this forum is about Batman and whoever Batman happends to be this forum should move along with it

ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ARMIV

Bruce is Batman,Dick is the replacement.

Lantern Goodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lantern Goodey

When bruce returns Dick will step down and everyone will be happy again lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5af7470263a09
    deactivated-5af7470263a09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it should stay as bruce wayne. id also like a page just for the bruce wayne side of the character, but you cant have everything i suppose.

G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By G'bandit

The page is about BATMAN who is Batman at the moment? Dick Grayson.

If they catch Batsy and unmask him they will catch Dick not Bruce.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By johnny_spam

Batman is not Green Lantern Flash or Batgirl there has only Bruce Wayne and barely now Richard Grayson his article should be altered to have a picture of him wearing a batcostume and there should be no Bruce Wayne seperate article I think it's stupid enough that there is a Batgirl article and no Cassandra article. This article also gives the history of Bruce Wayne and just based on that should not be altered to Richard's.

Lantern Goodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lantern Goodey

yes there is only 1 Bruce Wayne but Batman is a name and who ever takes up the name of Batman becomes Batman its lyk when Bruce Wayne retires Terry McGuiness takes over he is now Batman.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By johnny_spam

The name and this page relates to Bruce is all I'm saying Dick doesn't need to take over this page. Also this page will start to make little sense if it lists Richard Grayson when an out-of continunity Batman story happens with Bruce still Batman. So far Superman/Batman still has Bruce and I think Kevin Smith's Batman story is about a young Bruce.

Psychotime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Psychotime

WAIT!

I got it! Why not just change it to Bruce Wayne! When Hawkeye was replaced and changed identities, a mod was smart enough to simply change his page into his real name instead of his original identity! Same happened with Dick Grayson once he became Batman!

If people aren't able to agree, why not just change it into real names?!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.