Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Morrison And 'The Return Of Bruce Wayne'

• 65 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

What does it really mean for Batman?

No Caption Provided
    More often than not, I will be the first to profess my respect for Grant Morrison, but even I admit that sometimes his "what the f__?!" moments in many of his books leave me wondering how the heck he comes up with this stuff. So, as you can probably guess, any chance I get to see how he ticks, I leap at the opportunity. Recently, Grant Morrison sat down for an interview to discuss the upcoming The Return of Bruce Wayne, an event which has practically every Bat-fan at the edge of their seat. We know that Bruce is slated to return this April, but none of us really know how.   

Jason Vs. Batman
    Jason Vs. Batman
      In the interview, Morrison reveals what he has in mind for the series and how he will handle there being, well, two Bat-men. Clearly, the writer can not simply bring the character back without there being some sort of explanation, or at least that's what I am hoping. Basically, don't treat his return the way you treated his death--there was no real "mourning period" like we saw in Death of Superman for Batman. There has to be more to the story than simply Batman returns, the end. Morrison is going to have to explain where he went, what he lived through, and what happened; filling in a really big blank.

"It is an examination of the superhuman. Because Batman is superhuman and it's about all the different facets of that; all the different parts of him that come together to make up this amazing character...We use these various time periods to sort of personify the different parts of what he does. We watch him learn how to be a detective again, how to be a savage fighter again, and how he learns to be a dark figure of vengeance that preys on criminals."

No Caption Provided
    Bruce Wayne traveling through time? This could be really interesting. What we witnessed in Batman R.I.P. was the physical and mental breakdown of the character. Morrison took one of the most prominent characters in comics and said, "I'm going to kill him" knowing that the only way to kill a character like Batman, a character that has built an impenetrable tower around him, is to do it gradually. Like pulling a stray thread on a sweater, we watched Morrison unravel Batman both mentally and physically, breaking him down until he was nothing.  Logically, to bring him back would mean you would have to re-teach him everything he used to know. 

With The Return of Bruce Wayne is also a rare opportunity for Morrison to essentially re-write the character. What will Bruce be like? How different will he be? How much will he remember? More importantly, are we even dealing with the same character? What Morrison stated in the interview leads me to think Bruce may not remember all of his former past. Would this Return of Bruce Wayne really be the return of Bruce Wayne, or is this an opportunity for Morrison to rewrite the character? Will all of the events that haunted him in his former life, like say, the death of his parents, still shape his ideology? 

Let us not forget Dick Grayson, the current Batman. What will happen to Dick and the new Batman and Robin?  Will he continue to
    No Caption Provided
    evolve by taking on a new identity representative of all the experiences he has lived though over the course of the last year? Will he give up the burden that he so reluctantly took on, or will he fight his former master for the cape and cowl?

"Now Season one is 16 issues, and then there's Season two," he explained. "It changes again obviously once

Bruce comes back, and we start with a different sort of dynamic...I was going to leave after issue #13, then I came up with an idea which seemed fun to do. So the Batman universe status quo changes again dramatically after #16, but I don't want to say any more than that. Anything else I say will reveal too much about where we're going."

Also, is anyone else noticing the growing tension between Dick and Damian? The Batman and Robin cover image posted earlier over at The Source speaks volumes, and Damian does not look happy. Oh, and remember when DC's editor Dan Didio wanted to kill off Dick Grayson? What if the death of Bruce was a set up to do just that? Something to think about.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

What why get rid of Batman do all this and then one year later oh yeah Batman is coming back, what about Tim as RR I really like Red Robin I payed twenty bucks for 12 issues and I better get 12 issues

blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By blade hunter

lookin forward 2 it
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Primmaster64

.... I like Dick as Batman

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By The_Ghostshell

What if instead of killing off Dick Grayson, they kill off Damian?

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By No_Name_
    @Gambler said:
    " What if instead of killing off Dick Grayson, they kill off Damian? "
    That would be lame, and Talia would probably just bring him back. Lazarus Pit
    JackAs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By JackAs

Bruce Wayne traveling through time?  

Really...?
    E.I.S.A.M.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By E.I.S.A.M.

I wish Grant Morrison would just leave Batman alone. It's not like any of his crazy, insane, utterly stupid ideas are gonna last anyway.

Clara Mass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Clara Mass
    @Gambler said:
    "What if instead of killing off Dick Grayson, they kill off Damian? "

Morrison is building that pet character...it make no sense to kill the next Alexander -_^
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grant Morrison said: 

It is an examination of the superhuman. Because Batman is superhuman

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iLLituracy
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " Grant Morrison said: 

...  "
    Grant Morrison is no liar.
    JackAs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JackAs
    @CATMANEXE said:

" Grant Morrison said: 

...  "
    Well he's not wrong.
    brewski420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 123

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By brewski420
    @E.I.S.A.M.:
    give Grant Morrison a little more credit then that. he's a great writer and he knows what he's doing.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By No_Name_
    @JackAs said:
    "

Bruce Wayne traveling through time?  

Really...? "
    Hate on
    JackAs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JackAs

?_?"??

kukheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kukheart

I love morrison and his entire batman run, especially the black glove mystery with pierce, artwork his been outstanding and especially the mystery with oberton sexton, hopefully quitely comes back for the final arc of batman and robin, its all very genius and should be read by true comic fans, cant wait for the return of bruce wayne.

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Theodore

Why does everyone hate on Morrison? Granted that Final Crisis wasn't all that great, I think he is an awesome writer. The things he has done with Batman & Robin keep me coming back! Can't wait for Bruce to come back though, no offense to Dick or anything.

Hey Babs, those quotes are from the ign.com interview with Grant right?

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By No_Name_
    @Theodore: Yes.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Clara Mass said:
    " @Gambler said:
    "What if instead of killing off Dick Grayson, they kill off Damian? "
    Morrison is building that pet character...it make no sense to kill the next Alexander -_^ "
    Building a character in no way excludes death. In fact just the opposite. Death seems to be the foundation for building a character. Besides, Damian will never take over for Bruce. Gare-un-tee ;)

@Babs said:
    " @Gambler said:
    " What if instead of killing off Dick Grayson, they kill off Damian? "
    That would be lame, and Talia would probably just bring him back. Lazarus Pit "
    I actually like that idea better then killing off Dick. I dont see anyway around a Dick Grayson death at this point being cheesy (Bruce first followed by Dick?) At least with a Damian death theres a slim possibility that he'd be gone for good.
    beef1888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By beef1888
    @Babs:
    That would be a releif is what it would be lol. Little brat needs some humbling. I think he needs to meet the Joker and a cro bar haha.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Theodore: not trying to perpetuate anything, seriously, but everyone doesnt hate on Morrison, nor discredit him, nor does even a large faction of people. in fact he's rather reputable putting it lightly. same scenario with Batman. because a small handful dont, means nothing and thats there preferance, but doesnt deny the proof thats in the pudding. one cant deny there is some stuff that does seem "weird" however about this current direction, though tht doesnt translate to hatred for Morrison either.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By No_Name_
    @aztek the lost said:
    " @Babs: so then does this mean you are pro-Morrison in this or anti-Morrison? you said you usually support him but are sometimes left with a "wtf" feeling, which one of the two does this Return of Batman bring about? "
    I like him a lot, actually. I love his work. That WTF feeling is really him making you think about what you just read, which makes him a good writer. :) 

I can't wait for the Return, it can't come soon enough!
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#23  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

So this is going to be abut Bruce going through all of the time periods of Gotham? Cool, so Gotham's Dark Knight is watching as his city grows through time and becomes what it is today?

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By NightFang3

Can't wait for the return of the Bat!!!!

defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as for myself, as i said elsewhere as well, it looks real weird...im going to love it.

Sylar0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sylar0

I want Bruce to come back he is the only person that could truely be Batman as we have seen Dick has struggled to be Batman. I mean yeah he is doing good now but man he is just not Bruce, so I think that Bruce needs to come back but Tim needs to stay as Red Robin he is cool that way. And Dick can go back to jumping and flying around as Nightwing.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By danhimself

That interview he did with IGN actually made me like Morrison as a writer....he's going back to those campy Batman stories they did in the silver age and making them relevant and making them make sense

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I'm actually hoping that Bruce will travel in time to London 1888 and get involved in the real Jack the Ripper killings.

I had been wondering what would happen with Dick after Bruce's return. Dick has been altering the way he has done things. So, how does he just go back to the way he was before after making changes in himself?

buns134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By buns134
    @reaper2923: me 2 dude
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By danhimself
    @FoxxFireArt:  i don't know if London 1888 fits in to any of these scenarios or not but here are the times that Morrison said Batman would be traveling through on his way to the present.... Caveman, Witch Hunter, Pirate, Cowboy, Hardboiled P.I. and Dark Knight.
    Chamoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Chamoi

so how about Dick dies and Damian becomes nightwing!

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Theodore

Thanks Babs, I thought so.... I read that whole 3 page article and it was great! You rule Babs!

burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By burr787

The tension between Dick and Damian will most likely be completely gone after Batman vs. Robin. Morrison even said in that interview that Damian respects Dick. I hope that after Bruce becomes Batman, Damian sticks with Dick. Dick's passive nature works perfectly with Damian's  aggressiveness.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @danhimself: 
    I just thought that it would be cool if he arrived in London and had a story that delt with the events and identidty of the real Jack the Ripper.
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bruce Vain

I'm not gonna say I'm amped up for this. Cause to be honest I'm not really a fan of Morrison.There's only a couple of his works I dug(The return of the JLA in 97, WE3 & the Authority), but other than that I think he's a bit overrated. So I will hold my opinions till the Return of Bruce Wayne storyline happens in April & see how it will progress. I'm hoping I will like it and not be disappointed.
    ~Marauder~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ~Marauder~

This is incredibly interesting O_O Specially with all; thoser "Will" questions O_O

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By danhimself
    @FoxxFireArt: that would definitely be cool...unfortunately I think he's staying in Gotham and moving up through time...you'll always have Gotham By Gaslight
    JackAs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JackAs

are we even dealing with the same character? 

I may not follow DC since it's inconsequential to me. But if this is so, then I'll most likely pick up the DC again. This is defiantly an interesting turn of event for Bruce. 
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @danhimself said:
    " @FoxxFireArt: that would definitely be cool...unfortunately I think he's staying in Gotham and moving up through time...you'll always have Gotham By Gaslight "
    I had heard of that, but never actually read it. It sounds interesting enough. I like his stories that focus more on detective work and less on gadgets.

If Bruce's time traveling stories take place just in Gotham, wasn't Tim traveling around the world and finding those Bat symbol markings? If the symbols were found around the world that sort of implies that Bruce was also moving around for some reason.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By danhimself
    @FoxxFireArt:  ohhh yeah I forgot about that....hmmmmmm and him being a pirate would suggest that he will be doing some traveling by boat....maybe he's working his way to Gotham as he travels forward in time as well....Morrison did say that he has no memory of his past though so who knows what he's doing and why he's compelled to do it
    Avatar image for freddy_mercurial
    Freddy.Mercurial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Freddy.Mercurial

bruce wayne wont be batman upon his return...  similar to steve rogers, he will serve a "greater purpose"...  they invested too much time & effort into dick to, well, dick him over...  gunna be fun to see wut morrison puts him thru tho...

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @danhimself: 
    If he has no memories it does make you wonder why he's drawing on cave walls. They showed him in the era of the cave man, which you would presume is where he first arrived since he still most of this stuff, drawing the first symbol.
    Though, if he doesn't have his memories. That could explain why he's just drawing symbols rather then some kind of message or code for anyone that finds it.

I was thinking over what would be a cool touch when this is over. Showing Bruce, back when he was first putting together the Batcave; and finding one of those markings. Thinking it was just some old cave painting and just sort of forgetting about it. Only finding out later, after his time traveling adventures, that it was him that made it.
    Xion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Xion

Cant wait for this! I love Morrison's work.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By danhimself
    @FoxxFireArt:  that would be really cool to see
    SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

#45  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

This will make Batman history! 

No Caption Provided
    Argentino_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Argentino_18
    @Freddy.Mercurial said:
    " bruce wayne wont be batman upon his return...  similar to steve rogers, he will serve a "greater purpose"...  they invested too much time & effort into dick to, well, dick him over...  gunna be fun to see wut morrison puts him thru tho... "
    About that, I think Steve is going to be the new director of shield once they finish with Dark Reign...
    Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By THEBlaqueBasterd

Wouldnt it be really strange (or cool) if he came back &he was just.. "THE Detective" or "The Dark Knight"? 
    Where would that leave the theory that Bruce is the mask & Batman is THE Reality..? I mean Dicks just playing a role afterall.. if Bruce IS BATMAN.. for him to just LEAVE that to Dick would take some MINDBLOWING changes and adjustments in perception i'd think

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By johnny_spam
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By warlock360

Batman Beyond'ish

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50  Edited By Moomin123

I can't wait for Bruce to come back. He's way better at being the Caped Crusader than Dick Grayson.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.