Metropolis / Gotham ?

#1 Posted by iwan (572 posts) - - Show Bio

I was just reading issue 29 (ish) of Detective Comics and Bats referenced Metropolis, when did Gotham make it's first appearance ?

#2 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought batman was always in gotham, so wouldn't it be detective comics 1 or whatever the number was when batman debuted?

#3 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio

Was it not Adventure comics and Apple is right , Bats has always been a Gotham man!

#4 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

yahhhh

#5 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio

Yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

#6 Posted by iwan (572 posts) - - Show Bio

Tomorrow when I'm at my girlfriend's house I'll scan the page (I haven't got a scanner here). I thought it was strange too.

#7 Posted by zero edge (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

Wikipedia says it's Detective Comics 48
Post Edited:2007-12-16 19:48:11

#8 Posted by iwan (572 posts) - - Show Bio

He debuted in Detective Comics 27, this was about his third issue.

#9 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

Final Arrow says:

"Yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

lol

#10 Posted by iwan (572 posts) - - Show Bio

zero edge says:

"Wikipedia says it's Detective Comics 48
Post Edited:2007-12-16 19:48:11"

48 was Gothatm's first apperance ?

#11 Posted by zero edge (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#12 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

iwan says:

"zero edge says:
"Wikipedia says it's Detective Comics 48
Post Edited:2007-12-16 19:48:11"

48 was Gothatm's first apperance ?"

lol why the sudden need to know this iwan

#13 Posted by iwan (572 posts) - - Show Bio

Because I've never read much Batman (or any DC for that matter), and I was reading through and couldn't work out why he was living in Metropolis. Mind you, all his early comics are like 5 pages long and are almost identical to early Superman. It's the same storylines but where Supes apprehends them with super powers, Bats just kicks crap in to them.

#14 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

iwan says:

"Because I've never read much Batman (or any DC for that matter), and I was reading through and couldn't work out why he was living in Metropolis. Mind you, all his early comics are like 5 pages long and are almost identical to early Superman. It's the same storylines but where Supes apprehends them with super powers, Bats just kicks crap in to them."

and he had a gun and i think he killed a vampire in his second one.

#15 Posted by iwan (572 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparition says:

"iwan says:
"Because I've never read much Batman (or any DC for that matter), and I was reading through and couldn't work out why he was living in Metropolis. Mind you, all his early comics are like 5 pages long and are almost identical to early Superman. It's the same storylines but where Supes apprehends them with super powers, Bats just kicks crap in to them."
and he had a gun and i think he killed a vampire in his second one."

He killed a guy (one of Dr Death's henchmen) in the first one by pushing him in to a pool of acid.

#16 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

iwan says:

"He killed a guy (one of Dr Death's henchmen) in the first one by pushing him in to a pool of acid."

It would have been interesting if he were allowed to stay like that.

#17 Posted by iwan (572 posts) - - Show Bio

Forever says:

"iwan says:
"He killed a guy (one of Dr Death's henchmen) in the first one by pushing him in to a pool of acid."
It would have been interesting if he were allowed to stay like that."

I don't like it when characters are either 100% good or 100% evil, no one is like that in real life. There has to be an area in between the two.

#18 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

iwan says:

"I don't like it when characters are either 100% good or 100% evil, no one is like that in real life. There has to be an area in between the two."

I'm in complete agreement.

#19 Posted by Knightwing (333 posts) - - Show Bio

No, actually Kane intended for Batman to operate in New York, they later had him move to Gotham. But with the New Look of Batman introduced by O'Neil and Neal Adams, they had Batman being born in Gotham and not New York.

#20 Posted by Nightelf (52 posts) - - Show Bio

Knightwing says:

"No, actually Kane intended for Batman to operate in New York, they later had him move to Gotham. But with the New Look of Batman introduced by O'Neil and Neal Adams, they had Batman being born in Gotham and not New York. "

you seem to know a lot bout batman.. cool.. if i'm not mistaken, you're also one of the contributors of his family. well done!

#21 Posted by Knightwing (333 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightelf says:

"Knightwing says:
"No, actually Kane intended for Batman to operate in New York, they later had him move to Gotham. But with the New Look of Batman introduced by O'Neil and Neal Adams, they had Batman being born in Gotham and not New York. "

you seem to know a lot bout batman.. cool.. if i'm not mistaken, you're also one of the contributors of his family. well done!"

Thanks
#22 Posted by kuchiku (4070 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparition says:

"iwan says:
and he had a gun and i think he killed a vampire in his second one."

wasnt it weird how the original bats had guns but tyen he had batarangs

#23 Posted by Knightwing (333 posts) - - Show Bio

Batarangs first then guns.

#24 Posted by Mr. Smiths (1912 posts) - - Show Bio
@Knightwing said:
"

No, actually Kane intended for Batman to operate in New York, they later had him move to Gotham. But with the New Look of Batman introduced by O'Neil and Neal Adams, they had Batman being born in Gotham and not New York.

"

In before Neil and Adams did Batman, Batman was born in NYC and moved to Gotham City?
#25 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

How do people find these insanely old threads

#26 Posted by Sexy Merc (42072 posts) - - Show Bio

In modern continuity, he is considered to be born in Gotham.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.