March Brings Bad Tidings for Batman

• 84 results
Posted by G-Man (33873 posts) - - Show Bio

Poor Batman. When was the last time he caught a break? If he's not getting beat up by Scott Snyder in BATMAN, he's watching his family go through the wringer courtesy of the Joker. As we all wonder what might be happening in the coming months, the March solicits for the Batman Family titles suggest something really bad is coming.

Some might feel these could contain spoilers but it is what has been officially released by DC Comics on their blog. Take a look at these selected few:

BATMAN #18

Written by SCOTT SNYDER

Backup story written by SCOTT SNYDER and JAMES TYNION IV

Art by ANDY KUBERT and SANDRA HOPE

Backup story art by ALEX MALEEV

Cover by GREG CAPULLO

Variant cover by ANDY KUBERT

1:100 B&W Variant cover by GREG CAPULLO

On sale MARCH 13 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

Combo pack edition: $4.99 US

Retailers: This issue will ship with four covers. Please see the order form for more information.

• Welcome guest-artist Andy Kubert!
• In the wake of unspeakable tragedy, Batman is in danger of losing his humanity!
• And in the backup story, fan-favorite character Harper Row returns—but will she be able to pull Batman back from the brink?

This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.

== TEASER ==

BATMAN AND ROBIN #18

Written by PETER J. TOMASI

Art and cover by PATRICK GLEASON and MICK GRAY

On sale MARCH 13 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

• You dare not miss this issue!
• It’s the BATMAN AND ROBIN story of the year!

BATMAN, INCORPORATED #9

Written by GRANT MORRISON

Art and cover by CHRIS BURNHAM

Variant cover by CHRIS BURNHAM

1:100 B&W Variant cover by CHRIS BURNHAM

On sale MARCH 27 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Combo pack edition: $3.99 US

Retailers: This issue will ship with four covers. Please see the order form for more information.

• The fallout from last month’s shocking turn of events has Batman on the run!
• Is The Dark Knight a murderer?

This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.

NIGHTWING #18

Written by KYLE HIGGINS

Art by ROGER BONET

Cover by JUAN JOSE RYP and ROGER BONET

On sale MARCH 20 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

• Dick Grayson lost so much during “DEATH OF THE FAMILY” that some new events are going to push him right over the edge!
• Nightwing has almost no hope left until the chance for vengeance presents itself. What decisions will he make?

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #18

Written by SCOTT LOBDELL

Art by TIMOTHY GREEN II

Cover by MICO SUAYAN

On sale MARCH 20 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

• Jason Todd suffered terribly at the hands of The Joker in “DEATH OF THE FAMILY,” and now he’s changing the Outlaws’ mission!
• Something is bound to break with all that’s happened…will it be Jason’s soul?

They are kind of vague. The fact that these all have the common theme of something really bad happening is a little out of the ordinary. Comic books are often full of conflict and drama, that's what drives the story. But words like "unspeakable tragedy" and "shocking turn of events" almost sound like more than the average comic book hype.

It's likely you have your theories on what could happen. I have mine. With current events in Death of the Family and BATMAN INCORPORATED, it's easy to suspect that we could be seeing an actual death. Several characters important to Batman have been targeted and the fate of some is currently unknown.

What do you think this tragedy will be? Or do you think it's just regular comic book hype?

You can check out the full solicits HERE.

Staff
#1 Posted by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooooh.

#2 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14683 posts) - - Show Bio

So Nightwing, Robin, and Red Hood don't die, so that means Tim is a goner. Oh and thank you DC comics for spoiling the big secret!

#3 Posted by CHSPIDEY (10 posts) - - Show Bio

$20 says Damian dies

#4 Posted by thatlad (594 posts) - - Show Bio

When did Harper Row become a fan favourite?

#5 Posted by G-Man (33873 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective: These are from the BATMAN family solicits. Tim would be in the 'Young Justice' ones for TEEN TITANS. You can check those HERE. Unless you don't want to be 'spoiled.'

Staff
#6 Posted by sentryman555 (771 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective said:

So Nightwing, Robin, and Red Hood don't die, so that means Tim is a goner. Oh and thank you DC comics for spoiling the big secret!

I actually doubt tim can die right now cause without him the teen titans would probably break apart. He's pretty much the only thing keeping them together.

#7 Posted by SmashBrawler (5731 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL, every month brings bad tidings for Batman. Seriously, that guy just can't get a rest.

#8 Posted by Loki9876 (3045 posts) - - Show Bio

love the cover of RHATO.

#9 Posted by saoakden (1047 posts) - - Show Bio

Batgirl is going to be dealing with Jim Gordon Jr. Batman & his allies never catch a break.

#10 Posted by livlig (54 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective: Well, technically Teen Titans is a part of Young Justice and not Batman (however, not all Batman solicitations are here either).

#11 Posted by velvetmeds (83 posts) - - Show Bio

@thatlad said:

Well, i like her and #12 certainly made me want to see her more. Looking forward to that backup story

#12 Posted by ReadItNow (154 posts) - - Show Bio

Court of the Owls' Death of the Family, And a whole buch of good issues before and in between the events. Hard to belive its less than 20 issues and so many awsome issues in multiple titles. New 52 has been hooking the Batman titles up with some great times!

#13 Posted by monkeyonurback_ (84 posts) - - Show Bio

KILL THE LITTLE RAT BASTARD DAMIAN!

#14 Posted by cacarl (138 posts) - - Show Bio

Spoilers? I don't see spoilers. Everybody knows that any important player will die. They have their own books. I think this will end with collateral damage. The main characters survive, but people who care about then will go down.

#15 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4529 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn Tim!, but maybe not.

#16 Posted by cacarl (138 posts) - - Show Bio

BTW, RHATO is getting great covers for January, February and March.

#17 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14683 posts) - - Show Bio

@cacarl: How about the fact that Batman is a murderer?

#18 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

Does Batman ever have a cheerful month?

#19 Edited by velvetmeds (83 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective said:

@cacarl: How about the fact that Batman is a murderer?

Maybe he kills The Joker.

...pfft.´

edit: would be a good build up for the League of smiles though. Makes more sense after Joker's dead than while he's alive

#20 Posted by Rixec (371 posts) - - Show Bio

@monkeyonurback_: HELL NO! HE'S ONE OF THE BEST CHARACTERS IN THE LAST DECADE!!!

#21 Posted by cacarl (138 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a question. How many times this happened before? Oh, no, Batman a murderer? Holy!

#22 Posted by monkeyonurback_ (84 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rixec: he's evil....and they called him damien.....if that's not a hint at the creative limit of grant morrisson i don't know what is.

#23 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3817 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, Batman can't catch a break.

Still, these stories are getting interesting because of this

#24 Posted by Outside_85 (8960 posts) - - Show Bio

So:

Tim is getting sick...with one of the few healers in DC floating around in the background?

Nightwing is getting angry

Todd is going all Punisher (by the sounds of it)

Damian...appears to live on with nothing to show for it?

Babs is sorting out her mad-dog brother

Bats is going bats.

And 'barely dry behind the ears' Harper Row suddenly has they key to Batman's humanity?

#25 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14683 posts) - - Show Bio

@velvetmeds: HA! right! DC is going to kill the Joker? AHAHAHA, haven't heard that one before.

#26 Posted by Almighty1Azel (22 posts) - - Show Bio

BYE BYE ALFRED ...  

#27 Posted by _slim_ (13075 posts) - - Show Bio

@Almighty1Azel said:

BYE BYE ALFRED ...

I was thinking the same thing.

#28 Posted by tjs4759 (42 posts) - - Show Bio

Thinks are not looking good for Mr. Timothy Drake.

#29 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman's idea of a cheerful holiday is Tracking down criminals and....never mind Batman has no cheerful holiday, he has only Gotham.

#30 Posted by MizariSeth (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, all the members of the Bat-family are alive...I think this is the farewll for Alfred...

#31 Posted by RoninKane (80 posts) - - Show Bio

Alfred dies, Haley's Circus burns to the ground, Damian kills his mother, and Jason Todd finds out that he has been a pawn of the Joker all of his life. Also the whole bat-family gets trapped in in the bat cave then must kill and eat bat-cow to survive. TRAGEDY!!!!!!!

#32 Posted by kennybaese (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't be surprised to see Harper Row become the new Alfred should he die. Then again, I kind of always assumed that "Death of the Family" referred to the metaphorical death of the Bat family as a group of allies (and turning Bruce back into a loner character) than an actual character death. I figured it was a way to re-establish the status quo of Batman not trusting anyone as Morrison's Batman arc draws to a close.

#33 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like the idea of joker dying in this arc.

But i know people won't like that since the concept of both Batman MURDER and Joker death of been done to DEATH, but if it should happen this would be a reasonable arc to do so IMO

And my guess is that Alfred will die and Harper Row will take his place.

#34 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6844 posts) - - Show Bio

why don't you guys posy the whole DC solicitations. It already came out.

#35 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6844 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rixec: @monkeyonurback_: I don't like Damien either.Could care less if he was killed off.

#36 Posted by thatlad (594 posts) - - Show Bio

@zackattack529 said:

And my guess is that Alfred will die and Harper Row will take his place.

I would not be happy about this. Harper Row is barely interesting

#37 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

For the great tragedy, my guess is Joker ate bat hound and also raped Aunt Harriet ?

#38 Edited by johnny_spam (2035 posts) - - Show Bio

So sad Morrison's run on Batman is ending soon look favorite book each month. Batman and Robin looks like it could be a cool book and it seems like maybe they will start something. But all the others look so bland and tired because of Death of the Family.

#39 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman & Robin 18

ok

best solicits EVER

#40 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33336 posts) - - Show Bio
Batman & Robin 18
#41 Posted by Azrael66 (277 posts) - - Show Bio

SICK Red Hood cover.

#42 Edited by Danial79 (2350 posts) - - Show Bio
  • It’s the BATMAN AND ROBIN story of the year!

How wonderfully descriptive :)

Anyways, because all the Bat-books sell really well (except for Batwing), they wouldn't kill off any of the main characters as it would mean cancelling a title, so if someone is going to die, Alfred is the only one that's really expendable.

Bat-Family 12 Month Sales
#43 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8096 posts) - - Show Bio

Well at least we can be sure of a a few survivors/.

#44 Posted by bladewolf (753 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously, I think it's going to be Alfred or Gordon, or both. I'll probably get hate for this, but both of them are ultimately expendable and their deaths would have MAJOR impact on Batman.

#45 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9052 posts) - - Show Bio

Excited for Batman and Nightwing

#46 Posted by Almighty1Azel (22 posts) - - Show Bio

tim drake is safe... the only reason they didnt put him on the list of books to come, is because its more apart of the young justice line and not really a bat book....     unless they pull a hell of a m night shyamalan, where joker kills jason, cripples babs, diggs up the body of gordens dead wife  Sarah Essen-Gordon and runs a train on her....    what a twist lol      

#47 Posted by hunter5024 (128 posts) - - Show Bio

Please don't be Alfred.

#48 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@thatlad said:

I was thinking exactly the same.

#49 Posted by JamDamage (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a feeling Alfred is a dead man and Harper is moving in

#50 Posted by JamDamage (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if the Joker story will bring Jason and Bruce closer or make Jason hate Batman even more.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.