Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23649 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Let kill all Robins

ArkhamWrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ArkhamWrath

I mean... they every little time, now and then, back to Batman shadow to get his costume... can anyone of them (Dick, Tim, Damian, Jason) stand on his own legs and stay out of Batman shadow and Gotham ?

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Dick is doing it in the New 52 on "Grayson"

As for the others, both story and sales-wise...no, they can't.

ArkhamWrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@bat_girl_cc:

I am prety sure that will he (Dick) soon or later back to Batman shadow :) Just like always :)

But just now after your comment i saw sth... How many Batgirls are in Batman shadow ? None of them :)

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
    Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@arkhamwrath: I haven't felt Dick has been in Batman's shadow since he became Nightwing. Tim had his own series for a while as Red Robin, and in the New 52 he's off doing his own thing with the Teen Titans, so I think he's earned the right to be considered his own character - same with Jason.

The only one that's really in Batman's shadow is Damian. I mean, he's getting his own series but he still needs Batman's name on the cover to carry him. Which I think is understandable since he's still Robin and he hasn't really done anything to set him apart.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@bat_girl_cc:

I am prety sure that will he (Dick) soon or later back to Batman shadow :) Just like always :)

But just now after your comment i saw sth... How many Batgirls are in Batman shadow ? None of them :)

1)

Hum...maybe, but i doubt it, at least as long a sthe new 52 keeps going...DC is clearly trying to push him over.

"The Batgirl" and "The Robin" are different concepts...Batgirl is a Batman's ally...Robin is a Batman's sidekick...one, is its own hero...the other, isn't.

Now, its debatable wheather or not, Dick, Jason and Tim, got out of Batman's shadow after, becoming Nightwing, Red Hood and Red Robin...because, while they were able to stood well alone, both thei're super-hero names (Nightwing, Red Hood, Red Robin) and thei're own names (Dick, Jason, Tim) were always more famous, for who they were before, than for what they've acomplished by themselves.

2)

Now, if you look at the Batgirls, they were already thei're own main heros, when they were Batgirls, and they've all grew and developed even beyond that:

- Barbara Gordon - perfectly able to be on her own and to hold her own on most circunstances, and she moved on past being Batgirl, when she became Oracle.

- Helena Bertinelli - Her time as Batgirl wasn't all that memorable, but later she became Huntress, and she proved herself, solo.

- Cassandra Cain - This one, needs no introduction, she was the first one to have a solo Batgirl title, that lasted longer than 6 years, and having fighting skills good enough to put most street-levelers to shame, she gone up against the likes of David Cain, Lady Shiva, Deathstroke, The Ravager, Black Wind, etc, perfectly able to hold her own against whomever crossed her path, and to deal with whatever needed to be dealt with...she later moved on past being Batgirl, by becoming Black Bat.

- Stephanie Brown - She was aready her own main hero, as Spoiler, and she outgrew that, becoming Batgirl, her skills were inferior to the previous Batgirl's, but she was one of the most charismatic.

All in all, i think that Batgil and Robin can't really be compared.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.