Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Killing Joke is a very powerful story

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

What makes it more powerful is that they made it canon for Batman's continuity, though I'm still confused because it was clearly stated at the end of Y1 that Gordon said Joker was a new criminal, so that means Joker was thrown into the chemicals at some point during Y1?

Anyways, this scene is just chilling:

No Caption Provided

The look on her face, just chilling.

Thoughts?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

I think you highlighted the one moment that made it fully into canon and the rest is considered only passingly if at all. As for my take on the legacy of the story, while I'm sad to see Oracle go, I'm glad at least that the above "look on her face" is no longer the defining moment of the character.

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

@fodigg said:

I think you highlighted the one moment that made it fully into canon and the rest is considered only passingly if at all. As for my take on the legacy of the story, while I'm sad to see Oracle go, I'm glad at least that the above "look on her face" is no longer the defining moment of the character.

The entire story was made canon, though originally it was intended to be an elseworld's, DC just decided to make it canon. That look was just chilling, and scary.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@fodigg said:

The entire story was made canon, though originally it was intended to be an elseworld's, DC just decided to make it canon.

Are you sure? Accounts of the time included a call to the higher-ups asking permission to do the story that was gleefully responded to with "cripple the bitch" (which shows how female characters of the time were handled). I don't think that that would've been necessary if it was intended as an Elseworlds to begin with. And even if it were called that, or ambiguous, the introduction of Oracle established clearly that Joker committed a home invasion where he shot her and crippled her. That event has been referenced multiple times pre and post Flashpoint and is absolutely canon. Other elements of the story, however, have not been referenced and especially in the new 52 can only be ambiguously accepted as canon until they are explicitly referenced.

At least I get where you were coming from with these questions now though. I never considered it an Elseworlds story because it wasn't explicitly labeled as such (at least, in the reprintings I've read) and there was Oracle in a wheelchair, a new status quo entirely derived from the story.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Someone just got Killing Joke and has gone on a bender...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.