Katie Holmes vs Maggie Gyllenhaal?

• 53 results
#1 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

Who was better in the Batman films? I say Holmes because A: She was way hotter, B: She had better chemistry with Bale, C: She was a better actress, D: She wasn't annoying. I liked her in BB, in TDK I'm glad she died. Opinions?

#2 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23: both of them were average in acting. holmes presented herself as the reporter that was willing to compromise her ethics (blow) to get the story, while gyllenhaal did not. so i prefer gyllenhaal. and neither of them had chemistry with bale.

#3 Posted by Alexander505 (2144 posts) - - Show Bio

Holmes.

#4 Edited by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked both, but Gyllenhaal was the better actress out of the two.

#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheThe said:

I liked both, but Gyllenhaal was the better actress out of the two.

#6 Posted by 3Blue_Star (191 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say Katie Holmes.

#7 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

Katie Holmes wasn't even annoying. She was likeable, I can't say the same for Maggie. Wonder how TDK would've been with Holmes...

#8 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Katie wasn't likeable, she was bland.

#9 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom, and Maggie was more likeable? Elaborate on which one you liked better and why.

#10 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither actually mattered as far as i'm concerned. Just about anyone could have played Rachel and it wouldn't have mattered to me.

#11 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro, why?

#12 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

Neither actually mattered as far as i'm concerned. Just about anyone could have played Rachel and it wouldn't have mattered to me.

This.

Neither of them were great performers in the films and for me the character wasn't really important either.

#13 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
@comicdude23 said:
@Vance Astro, why?
They were virtually invisible in the films.
#14 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro, no they weren't, they were vital to the films.

#15 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
@comicdude23 said:
@Vance Astro, no they weren't, they were vital to the films.
Not to me.My focus was on Batman and the villain. Didn't care about the supporting cast..especially Rachel.
#16 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro, everyone focused on Batman and the villain but she did impact the events in the film. It was her death that caused Two Face and Batman's retirement (though Harvey's death did as well). IMO she wasn't that bad but of you had to compare which did you like better?

#17 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
@comicdude23 said:
@Vance Astro, everyone focused on Batman and the villain but she did impact the events in the film. It was her death that caused Two Face and Batman's retirement (though Harvey's death did as well). IMO she wasn't that bad but of you had to compare which did you like better?
I'm not saying she didn't I understood the story, I'm just saying her performance was irrelevant to me. Katie Holmes and Maggie Gyllenhall aren't great actresses IMO but they didn't effect the quality of the film so she may have had a role in the story but she had no actual impact on whether anyone would like or dislike the film. It's hard to even pick who's better because both are extremely bland. 
#18 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro, nah they weren't really great but IMO Maggie was so annoying. Especially when she screamed "HELLO?!", but even though they weren't great I didn't see her death coming. They may be bland but they portrayed the character very differently..

#19 Edited by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
@comicdude23 said:

@Vance Astro, nah they weren't really great but IMO Maggie was so annoying. Especially when she screamed "HELLO?!", but even though they weren't great I didn't see her death coming. They may be bland but they portrayed the character very differently..

I didn't see her death coming either but I'm glad she did die in the film because Maggie Gyllenhaal doesn't work as a love interest, she in her mid-30's but she looks like she's pushing 60. Bruce is rich, he can have any woman he wants, it's not believable for him to fall for her.Also I didn't see the different in the portrayal.
#20 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4692 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad they both died.

#21 Posted by Pacperson (307 posts) - - Show Bio

Gyllenhaal was so bad...she almost kills TDK for me....she's so mosey and bland

#22 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

I couldn't stand either. I'm fine with Bruce having a love interest but the character of Rachel Dawes was just terrible. Nolan has never been good at writing female characters for some reason.

#23 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro, Bruce was self disciplined, the playboy persona and having any woman was an act. Rachel was his childhood friend, though their relationship was under-developed. Katie was wayy hotter and natural looking, Maggie did look old. She isn't meant to be in her mid 30s, in BB he had his 30th birthday and in TDK it's 6 months after. Bruce and Rachel were the same age so their MEANT to be 30-ish. Or did you mean the actress?

#24 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonAvenger, I thought Hathaway was amazing. More so than Pffiefer's Catwoman. He did great with her.

#25 Posted by Joygirl (18741 posts) - - Show Bio

Holmes. I didn't love her, but I didn't detest her like I did Maggie.

#26 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

That's the thing. I didn't mind Holmes but Maggie was awful.

#27 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
@comicdude23 said:
@Vance Astro, Bruce was self disciplined, the playboy persona and having any woman was an act. Rachel was his childhood friend, though their relationship was under-developed. Katie was wayy hotter and natural looking, Maggie did look old. She isn't meant to be in her mid 30s, in BB he had his 30th birthday and in TDK it's 6 months after. Bruce and Rachel were the same age so their MEANT to be 30-ish. Or did you mean the actress?
It takes alot of discipline to fall in love with Maggie Gyllenhaal...
#28 Posted by giovannile07 (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Katie Holmes is cuter than Maggie Gyllenhaal not going to lie haha, so I would have had her return for The Dark Knight.

#29 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro, LOL. I bet he was thinking, "you were much hotter in Batman Begins!".

#30 Posted by timelord786 (164 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Katie Holmes a lot more than Maggie Gyllenhall as i could see the bond between bruce and her while i did not see that sort of brother/sister bond between him and the other one even though they had known each other for all there lives.

#31 Posted by Tyrus (1083 posts) - - Show Bio

Katie's acting was worse - But Maggie had an annoying face...

#32 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Maggie is a far better actress but surprisingly, I didn't mind Holmes in Batman Begins.

#33 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

Holmes is better in pretty much every way, except acting. They're pretty even on obnoxiousness.

#34 Posted by YMCMB (160 posts) - - Show Bio

Both actresses didn't add much to the film, so I'll go with Katie based on looks

#35 Posted by Cap10nate (2160 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

Same here. I didn't watch DK and think, Wow Holmes did much better here or vice versa when re-watching BB. The character is in important only that Bruce loves her, she chooses Harvey, and she dies. The only thing i explicitly remember of her is when she dies. Like you said, anyone could have really played that part.

#36 Posted by SavageDragon (2248 posts) - - Show Bio

@YMCMB said:

Both actresses didn't add much to the film, so I'll go with Katie based on looks

I agree with this.

#37 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Maggie's a better actress but Katie was hotter so... :P

#38 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
@comicdude23 said:
@Vance Astro, LOL. I bet he was thinking, "you were much hotter in Batman Begins!".
LOL. 

@Cap10nate said:

Same here. I didn't watch DK and think, Wow Holmes did much better here or vice versa when re-watching BB. The character is in important only that Bruce loves her, she chooses Harvey, and she dies. The only thing i explicitly remember of her is when she dies. Like you said, anyone could have really played that part.

Yea, I wasn't really focused on Rachel. She only exists in that movie-verse. I'm more fascinated by characters from the books that they portray correctly.
#39 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't matter to me.

#40 Posted by gotham-nudist (23 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer Katie's Rachel. I thought Katie fit the role better and is waaaay better looking than MG.

#41 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

katie was alot more attractive so im going with her.i dont like the idea of batman having a normal person love interest anyway.

#42 Posted by PurpleCandy (773 posts) - - Show Bio

If you think about based on the stories and plot, Katie Holmes goes better in Begins, Maggie goes better in TDK (because you don't care about her when she dies)

#43 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (881 posts) - - Show Bio

Holmes. Maggie Gyllenhaal looks too much like a man.. Plus, I thought she was annoying, just some of the quirks about her acting that I noticed. I wasn't a fan of her at all.

#44 Edited by DarKnightNoir (44 posts) - - Show Bio

She was kind of a lame character that hurt the trilogies story more than anything. If other developments had been put in instead of screen time something more interesting may have come from it. I personally can't stand Katies Holmes' anything so I liked Rachel better in Dark Knight.

#45 Posted by Savage_Hawkman (125 posts) - - Show Bio

Maggie Gyllenhaal is the ugliest woman I've ever seen.

#46 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

Maggie Gyllenhaal is horrible

#47 Posted by Teerack (5409 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait you think either of the actors did something to make them memorable other then being "those girls that died"?

#48 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5187 posts) - - Show Bio

Katie Holmes > Sad Turtle Face Gyllenhal.

#49 Posted by Joygirl (18741 posts) - - Show Bio

Katie.

#50 Posted by TheSmallvillefan12 (181 posts) - - Show Bio

Katie Holmes

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.