Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Just read year one for the first time

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By SOG7dc

Comparing it to zero year....idk zero year is really fun. But year one it just feels more authentic.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

glad you liked it more to many people who read zero year before year one seem to have the oppasite reaction and that just leaves me scraching my head

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read Zero Year but I'm sure its not nearly as good as Year One, YO is a classic, and Snyder's Batman run has been average.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Zero Year is only like half way done. You cant properly compare a complete story to one thats not even close to done yet. That being said Year One IS amazing.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Meh, I don't know I liked it but for some reason it didn't get me as interested as the Long Halloween or Hush. Probably because of the art. Also I don't like how they portrayed Selina.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@rustyroy said:

I haven't read Zero Year but I'm sure its not nearly as good as Year One, YO is a classic, and Snyder's Batman run has been average.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#7  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I always felt Year One was more about James Gordon rather than Batman. The whole book is great and seeing Batman's first year is great, but I found Gordon's story much more interesting. Zero Year really puts more focus on just Bruce and his journey to becoming Batman, which is probably why I like it more than YO.

The biggest problem with Year One, I feel, is that it's a pretty dated book. Zero Year is a more "modern" retelling of Batman's origins.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@rustyroy said:

I'd recommend reading Zero Year. It's a great modern retelling of Batman's origins and showcases Bruce's journey to becoming the hero we know him beautifully.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Year One might be my favorite Batman story. That's not to say I'm not loving Zero Year. I don't even put those two peas in the same pod. The stories are so different in focus, structure, art and color. Glad you liked Year One. It's mandatory Batman reading.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd recommend reading Zero Year. It's a great modern retelling of Batman's origins and showcases Bruce's journey to becoming the hero we know him beautifully.

Not a fan of Snyder's run.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

id say my biggest problem with year one is that is much more a jim gordon story than a bruce wayne one. i was looking forward o seeing the batcave and him putting on the suit for the first time and flashback's to his training but sadly we didnt get that stuff. the bst scene's in the entire book were the "you have eaten well", the one where he kicks a tree in half and the one where he was doing pushups. i just wish there was more bruce wayne in this book than there actually was

Kangaxx_54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: It's funny, that's why I love Year One. I wish there were more Gordon stories out there. But I also love seeing the Batcave, Bruce's training etc. in Year Zero. So far, it looks like they'll complement each other very fine. Year Zero isn't out to outdo One (nor will it), but it adds new things while telling a good story (so far). I'd recommend everybody read it.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kangaxx_54: i like Gordon as much as the next guy but going in i was expecting batmans origin, not Jim Gordons. a few people on CV said they thought YO was a better origin than Birthright. so going in i thought i was gonna see batman doing his thing....but instead i saw Gordon cheating on his wife.....don't get me wrong that story was compelling as hell but it just wasn't what i was expecting. it was like if i had opened birthright and the majority of the story was about lois lane

Kangaxx_54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Oh, yeah, I get that feeling. I've had a few times where my expectations were completely screwballed (that's a word, right?), and it left me very dissatisfied. When I reread them a good while later I liked them far more, but it did take me some time.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer:In no way is Year One "dated" the charater of batman today is the same as he was back than. Their is nothing about the story that puts it at a time or place of the past. If they had done a shot for shot remake of Year One today it would still feel as fresh and interesting as it was when it first come out.

And just becuase something is modern dosnt make it better. Snyder in Zero Yero took away any personality of Gotham trying to modernize it. yet trys to claim gotham still is a hard place to live even thou kid bruce walks around Gotham like his at disneyland and when he comes back from training he moves to the worse part of the city yet his uncle a man who runs a multibillion dallor company can walk around with no bodyguards or protection.

then in the next issue snyder is forcing bruce to hate gordan and iam cringing already becuae i know its going to be froced as hell

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

id say my biggest problem with year one is that is much more a jim gordon story than a bruce wayne one. i was looking forward o seeing the batcave and him putting on the suit for the first time and flashback's to his training but sadly we didnt get that stuff. the bst scene's in the entire book were the "you have eaten well", the one where he kicks a tree in half and the one where he was doing pushups. i just wish there was more bruce wayne in this book than there actually was

@sog7dc said:

@kangaxx_54: i like Gordon as much as the next guy but going in i was expecting batmans origin, not Jim Gordons. a few people on CV said they thought YO was a better origin than Birthright. so going in i thought i was gonna see batman doing his thing....but instead i saw Gordon cheating on his wife.....don't get me wrong that story was compelling as hell but it just wasn't what i was expecting. it was like if i had opened birthright and the majority of the story was about lois lane

I think it was as much a Bruce Wayne story as a Gordon one, it showed both characters origin and their time in Gotham in the first year. and tbh the fact that it was nothing like a typical Heroes journey story is why I like it, the book takes you completely by surprise, it shows things you wouldn't expect, it showed things we've never seen before. The whole book is filled with great scenes, not even single panel is below amazing. And the contrast between Wayne and Gordon is one of the best things about the book, Gordon doesn't want to be in Gotham, he hates Gotham, Bruce wants nothing other than to be in Gotham. Batman did his thing and so did Gordon, the thing is the story was just not about one guy, it was about Bruce, Gordon and Gotham and all the people living in Gotham, good and bad. And come on you can't compare Lois and Gordon, its never Lois and Superman vs Crime but it is Batman and Gordon vs Crime most of the time. So yeah Birthright is great, awesome, amazing but Year One is just on a different level.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RustyRoy

Man now I have to read Year One again.....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.