Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character in The Dark Knight Rises

#1 Posted by Mucklefluga (2588 posts) - - Show Bio

So now that the latest trailer for The Dark Knight Rises is out who do you think JGL's character really is? Or is he just a copper named John Blake? Personally i think Joseph is to big an actor to be just a copper.

#2 Posted by noj (1088 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the current most popular theory is that he will be Azrael

#3 Posted by NewKid (367 posts) - - Show Bio

just a cop i reckon, but with a prominent role.

#4 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

John Blake? Never heard the name before.

I think Batman's going to die and this guy's going to take his place.

#5 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

Rather than taking the place of Batman, has anyone taken into consideration that he may be meant to replace Gordon?

#6 Posted by Tunsieon (316 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n said:

Rather than taking the place of Batman, has anyone taken into consideration that he may be meant to replace Gordon?

This.

#7 Posted by RMurray (83 posts) - - Show Bio

Ehhh, the trilogy has already played the "Gordon died" angle from 'The Dark Knight' and played it quite well. I don't see Nolan double dipping into that emotional pool, because he's quite aware at how horribly The Matrix tried to do that with Trinity and failed miserably on both attempts. :)

Personally, I think John Blake is probably John Blake, who is going to be a mixture of quite a few things from the comics. In the end, Bruce Wayne will perish as Batman and the "devote yourself to an ideal" and "more than just a man" angle will come full circle and the very last shot of the film will be the character of John Blake donning the cape and cowl for the first time, looking out over Gotham. We don't need to see his days as Batman, only his first moment. Let our imagination take the rest.

#8 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

@RMurray: I don't see why Nolan would refuse to have a Robin and then go ahead and replace Bruce with someone who is not Dick Grayson. People could revolt (I would at least)

#9 Posted by RMurray (83 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n: Because Nolan is a storyteller, and his story is Bruce Wayne/Batman and becoming more than just a man. A symbol, a legend. His story can culminate with Bruce perishing or giving up the cowl via injury. His vision of Batman is centralized on Bruce, not the Batman/Robin relationship. I feel as though the dialogue of the first movie really shows a lot of that, especially at the end with the Bale/Katie Holmes back-and-forth about masks and what not.

I fully grasp that it might send fanboys into revolt, but this is Nolan's interpretation of the character. He's given the companies hundreds of million in profit, and I'd be willing to bet that if he pitched the movie "Bruce dies in the end, my way, or I don't do the film" they'd cave. Because film trilogies can always be rebooted and you can contain the stories within those movies and then simply start over as if it never happened. (Like Spiderman is currently doing).

So...why not? :D

#10 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

@RMurray: What would separate Blake from the copy cats in TDK? If Nolan shows him as having some kind of martial arts background then why not go ahead and name him Grayson so that the transition is more believable. Also, how will his character have the tech and money to finance his Batscapades? I'm all in for Bruce not surviving this film/ being crippled. I just think that by drawing characters from the comics it would allow for more development than screen time probably allows.

Now that I think of it, it would have been awesome if Terry McGinnis was introduced and they set up a possible Batman Beyond spin off

#11 Posted by SuperShafe (470 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's going to be a version of Nightwing that was never robin.

#12 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8151 posts) - - Show Bio

@SuperShafe said:

I think he's going to be a version of Nightwing that was never robin.

This or Azrael

#13 Posted by SuperShafe (470 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCheeseStabber: I lean more towards nightwing mostly because when grayson started his nightwing career he became a cop in bludhaven and it seemed like JGL's character was very pro batman. I can tottally see the Azreal angle but i'm leaning more towards nightwing

#14 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8151 posts) - - Show Bio

@SuperShafe: Do to the newest trailer with him and the little Kid I think hes gonna be the new Batman or Knightwing and teach the Kid to be Robin

#15 Posted by SuperShafe (470 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCheeseStabber: I can see and dig that. also is it possible that JGL is the kid that batman flipped that peice of tech to in the first movie?

#16 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8151 posts) - - Show Bio

@SuperShafe: Maybe I mean with the second movie being like two years later ish and this movie having something to due with an eight year period it could be an oldr version of him more inspired and adult ish by Batman, I'm also thinking the Little kid might be Gordons son.

#17 Posted by SuperShafe (470 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCheeseStabber: Wouldn't gordon's son be a teenager by now with the 8 year jump?

#18 Edited by Mucklefluga (2588 posts) - - Show Bio

@SuperShafe said:

@TheCheeseStabber: I lean more towards nightwing mostly because when grayson started his nightwing career he became a cop in bludhaven and it seemed like JGL's character was very pro batman. I can tottally see the Azreal angle but i'm leaning more towards nightwing

@TheCheeseStabber said:

@SuperShafe: Do to the newest trailer with him and the little Kid I think hes gonna be the new Batman or Knightwing and teach the Kid to be Robin

These are great Shouts

#20 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8151 posts) - - Show Bio

@SuperShafe: Wellknow one really knows if its an 8 year jump just something to do with an eight year period but it seems most plausible it will take place eight years later, so I withdraw my comment on that it might be his son

#21 Posted by blackadamFTW (7867 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope he's a what we're expecting, like Nightwing or Azrael, and not just a cop. That would suck.

#22 Posted by Holuntron (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Well when Bane broke Batman's back in the books, Azrael was the one who replaced him, not Dick Grayson. I doubt Dick Grayson will appear in this movie in any form just because Nolan has said he does not want Robin, which I think is understandable. Of course, it would be odd seeing Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character become Batman after this since he was not in the first two movies. That idea of Batman trusting someone so readily just seems like a big deal that would have taken the whole series to progress. About Robin/Nightwing appearing, I have heard the football player in the other trailer was rumored to be some sort of Robin character, but that extra was actually Hines Ward, so I doubt that is true. Honestly I cannot say for sure yet, and neither can anyone else.

#23 Posted by Mucklefluga (2588 posts) - - Show Bio

E@Holuntron: I think the Hines Ward thing was just an Easter Egg

#24 Edited by Pauldro (127 posts) - - Show Bio

Who says John Blake isn't Dick Grayson or a successor to Bruce? No one said he wasn't an orphan. Maybe he has had his named changed due to being adopted or whatever. I think John Blake could also die since in trailer 3 he was praying and holding his hands up.

#25 Posted by Pauldro (127 posts) - - Show Bio

@Holuntron: Dick did take over the mantle after Bruce defeated Azrael.

#26 Posted by ImmortalOne (3495 posts) - - Show Bio

It's implied in the trailer that Batman dies in the end... the suspense is already killing me.

#27 Posted by Drummer007 (111 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its Hugo Strange..... he wanted to be Batman..... haha

#28 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's for Grayson, tha Bludhaven cop.

#29 Edited by Jawshco (244 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a little boy in the comic who's homework gets stolen by the Joker. So maybe that's why he wants to be a cop- to stop guys like the Joker from ever stealing homework assignments again!

#30 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

For those of you speculating he is Dick Grayson or Robin, Christian Bale has specifically said, numerous times, that "if Robin is ever introduced, I won't be a part of the film" (paraphrased). Thank goodness for that, the Robin dynamic would ruin the dark, serious angle that Nolan has crafted.

#31 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it'll be jean-paul-valley that he's playing.

#32 Posted by Mucklefluga (2588 posts) - - Show Bio

John Blake rhymes with Tim Drake !!!!! :0 :O :o :O :) :D D:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.