Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23537 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Joker's Origin: YOU Make It.

Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
    ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ImTheDamnBatman

As we all know, Joker does not have a set in stone origin story or identity. However, if you had to give him one, how would YOU do it?

ApeKindaBaked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ApeKindaBaked

I don't think anybody could top the (pretty much) official storyline of him being dropped in chemicals. I prefer the version from The Killing Joke.

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nickzambuto

@ImTheDamnBatman said:

As we all know, Joker does not have a set in stone origin story or identity. However, if you had to give him one, how would YOU do it?

I was literally thinking of making this exact same thread just the other day...

@ApeKindaBaked said:

I don't think anybody could top the (pretty much) official storyline of him being dropped in chemicals. I prefer the version from The Killing Joke.

The Red Hood getting dropped in chemicals bit is 100% canon. The thing know one knows is who exactly the Red Hood was. A ruthless crime boss? Or a family man down on his luck? Something else entirely?

Honestly my favorite Joker origin is a fan fiction.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5565921/1/Alone

As the story goes along it literally just gets better and better and better and better.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Superguy0009e

As long as it stays true to the Red Hood concept, I like it.

hoole100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hoole100

The whole Red Hood/Killing Joke concept is cool and all, but after reading Lovers and Madmen i really gravitated toward that whole joker origin. I find it more frightening in a way really.

britsera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By britsera

I don't really care too much, considering how much lying Joker's done about it over the years.

BUT, major points:

1. Joker must be something aside from a street thug (i.e. insane, bleached skin due to chemicals, etc. Not supernatural, just really strange)

2. (more importantly) Must be Batman's fault (i.e. Batman had a hand in making him)

americanpzycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By americanpzycho

I always liked the theory that "the Joker was a former employee of the Haly Brothers Circus, which was documented to have connections with the mob. It is reasonable to theorize that the Joker is a disgruntled former employee that had bad business with the mob."

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Crash_Recovery

Chuck Dixon, for my money, had one of the best ideas for the Joker that'll never see print.

Dixon saw the Joker less as a singular person, than a concept, much like Batman/Ras Al Ghul in the Dark Knight trilogy.

This explains why the Joker's portrayal throughout the ages has varied. It's not the same person, rather than a series of individuals with their own sense of style and crime.

Grant Morrison explained this gap by the Joker's "power" being "hyper sanity" that allows him to adapt to the zeitgeist of the current age.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By gotwillpower

@ApeKindaBaked said:

Same.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Onemoreposter

@hoole100 said:

The whole Red Hood/Killing Joke concept is cool and all, but after reading Lovers and Madmen i really gravitated toward that whole joker origin. I find it more frightening in a way really.

I concur. Lovers and Madmen was probably the best story that came out of Batman Confidential. Probably one of the most overlooked/under appreciated Joker stories of the (at least) the last decade.

HarlequinKiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By HarlequinKiss

Honestly I'd prefer Joker's past to be completely unknown and mysterious. He's just one of those characters that are so messed up, you can't imagine how he'd get there. Being dropped in chemicals still doesn't entirely make sense to me (other than his appearance, which could have been done just as well with makeup and dye). And sure the chemicals could account for his insanity but why wouldn't the doctors at Arkham consider the cure? And with these chemicals lying around, why aren't there more Jokers? (I'm not even going to go into what they did to Harley in the new 52) Sure, his background story might satisfy curious minds but I feel it takes away from his creepiness.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By batshrine

Joker is like the beginning of time. An impossibility that just is!

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Jokers wakes up one day, makes some scars on his face puts make up, paint his hair green and say:

The thing i am going to do today, BEING A D1CK TO BATMAN FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.