Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Joel Schumacher wanted The Dark Knight

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/joel-schumacher-wanted-to-make-the-dark-knight

Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
    johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

#2  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

This man just makes excuses for why his films were crap. If he's correct then he shouldn't have allowed them to make him there b**ch.

Avatar image for mystiquebelinsky
    MystiqueBelinsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MystiqueBelinsky

OH GOD THE HORROR.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Jotham

Not everything awful in his movies was the studio's fault. I'm pretty sure they didn't force him to put nipples on the batsuit.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Jotham said:

Not everything awful in his movies was the studio's fault. I'm pretty sure they didn't force him to put nipples on the batsuit.

They did, the studio execs put a gun to his head and yelled "PUT NIPPLES ON HIS SUIT" Joel was crying as he grabbed the rubber nipples and gluestick and modified the suit. It's really one of the darker secrets of hollywood.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

Bat-credit card. That is all.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jotham

@TheCrowbar said:

@Jotham said:

They did, the studio execs put a gun to his head and yelled "PUT NIPPLES ON HIS SUIT" Joel was crying as he grabbed the rubber nipples and gluestick and modified the suit. It's really one of the darker secrets of hollywood.

My God, and here I've been judging him harshly all this time. I'm going to go watch The Lost Boys in apology.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

He's been saying that for years. He wanted to make Batman: Year One and that's what he signed on to do but Warner Bros. didn't want that and he had to make Batman family friendly. Warner Bros execs were not heavily involved with Batman Forever but with Batman & Robin Schumacher had his hands tied. Sure he is to blame for the Batsuits having large codpieces and nipples but Warner Bros is mainly to blame for Batman & Robin. They didn't really like Batman Forever and thought it was too dark so Batman & Robin came as a result. Listen to the commentary tracks for both films and he explains it all. Schumacher isn't a terrible director. He's made several good films like A Time to Kill, The Lost Boys, Phone Booth, and The Phantom of the Opera.

Avatar image for valendianknight
    ValendianKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ValendianKnight

Ugh...I'm hoping he is never allowed anywhere near Batman again. Excuses, excuses.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WaveMotionCannon
    @CrimsonAvenger

He's been saying that for years. He wanted to make Batman: Year One and that's what he signed on to do but Warner Bros. didn't want that and he had to make Batman family friendly. Warner Bros execs were not heavily involved with Batman Forever but with Batman & Robin Schumacher had his hands tied. Sure he is to blame for the Batsuits having large codpieces and nipples but Warner Bros is mainly to blame for Batman & Robin. They didn't really like Batman Forever and thought it was too dark so Batman & Robin came as a result. Listen to the commentary tracks for both films and he explains it all. Schumacher isn't a terrible director. He's made several good films like A Time to Kill, The Lost Boys, Phone Booth, and The Phantom of the Opera.

Family friendly is nipples and HUGE codpieces ? S&M; is the new Disney huh?
    Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Looking at Phone Booth you'd think he could make a Batman film. Batman Forever was nevertheless a piece of shit, Batman and Robin is 3 shits.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It also says he wanted to make Nick Cage the Scarecrow. He essentially throws out that he didn't like one bad idea while proposing he had another equally bad idea. Sometimes I think medicinal directors are peddling eye crack.

DDangelico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By DDangelico

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

Expiration: FOREVER

johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

@Jotham said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@Jotham said:

My God, and here I've been judging him harshly all this time. I'm going to go watch The Lost Boys in apology.

No the nipples were his choice if you watch extras he says it's some crap about how Roman's liked emphasizing stuff like that on armour and statues. It was the child frendly stuff he blamed the studios for. Since these movies I hate liking any of his movies

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By TheCrowbar

@johnkmccubbin91:

It was a joke, I am disturbed you thought I was being serious.

johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

@TheCrowbar: I knew you were joking I was just clarifying for anyone that didn't know

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CrimsonCake

He also made a few proposals for other batman films but his credibility was seriously hurt and he couldn't make them.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jotham

@johnkmccubbin91 said:

No the nipples were his choice if you watch extras he says it's some crap about how Roman's liked emphasizing stuff like that on armour and statues.

I'm pretty sure that the nipples (and other homo-erotic stuff in his Batman movies) were put in there because he's flamboyantly gay.

johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

@Jotham: I believe this as well they are his excuses though

Avatar image for deactivated-632c98ad46ce5
    deactivated-632c98ad46ce5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jotham said:

@johnkmccubbin91 said:

No the nipples were his choice if you watch extras he says it's some crap about how Roman's liked emphasizing stuff like that on armour and statues.

I'm pretty sure that the nipples (and other homo-erotic stuff in his Batman movies) were put in there because he's flamboyantly gay.

If you compare those shots with the Power Rangers series/movies you'd more likely come to the conclusion that he was doing a kids show/toy commercial. See, Nolan is gay too, and he didn't put any ass and nipple shots into the movie.

artgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By artgamer

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CrimsonAvenger: @Jotham: Thanks you guys, i have been fan of the original vision that he had, even when his third films it was going to be darker and the deleted scenes show that Batman Forever was a more serious movie.

I mean his plan was to be darker and less Goth that Tim Burton and try to be about Batman, Burton never cared for Batman, he only cared for his Goth vision of things and the villains.

I mean, Batman Forever is better written that Batman and Batman Returns, you had Bruce Wayne, in the past movies you only had a Psycho that killed people for fun.

His movies sucked, yes but is because the guys that own Batman wanted Adam West Batman in the 90s.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

@DeathpooltheT1000:Well Burton's Batman reflected how Batman was when he debuted. In the two films he doesn't carry a gun but he kills people just like he did when he debuted. I can agree though in Batman Forever Bruce Wayne reflected his comic counterpart a lot better. In Batman & Batman Returns, Bruce Wayne was this reclusive neurotic as Burton put it. I'd still to this day to see Schumacher do the Batman film he thought he signed on for. If you look at Batman Forever and some of the deleted scenes that have been released, they change the tone of the film. Glad to see someone else doesn't hate it.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#24  Edited By Joygirl

Too #$%&ing; bad.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jotham

@rantanplan1980 said:

If you compare those shots with the Power Rangers series/movies you'd more likely come to the conclusion that he was doing a kids show/toy commercial. See, Nolan is gay too, and he didn't put any ass and nipple shots into the movie.

The Power Rangers had obtrusive nipples? I don't remember that. And Nolan's not gay. Even if he was, he would probably have a little better self control than Schumacher and not make everything homo-erotic. I do agree that Schumacher was going for a toyetic Batman, though. And the studios went along with it because they made a huge amount of money off toys.

Actually, at this point, I don't really mind Schumacher's movies. I'm satisfied with Nolan's trilogy, so I can look back and appreciate the older movies for what they were: goofy, kitschy popcorn movies.

johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

@CrimsonAvenger: Batman never killed anyone

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

@johnkmccubbin91:

In Batman Returns he does. He also did before Robin came along in the comics.

johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

@CrimsonAvenger: I know he did in Batman Returns but I'm pretty sure he didn't in the comics (although I could be wrong) as he has always had his moral code since the beginning

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnkmccubbin91: During his early years Batman killed, also used purple gloves for some reason, then DC changed the character and Batman stop killing, during the 79 he kiledl again, but lets face it, killer Batman isnt as good a Normal Batman.

@CrimsonAvenger: I dont know, i never really saw the Early years of Batman in Burton Batman, i just saw Burton doing the same that he did with Planet of the Apes, making the thing the way he belives they should be to fit his artistic vision, problem that made Alice in Wonderland and Willy Wonka less dark and insane that the past versions.

Schumacher had problems with the WB, because he wanted Batman to use more martial arts, the original figthing scene are longer, the studio hated the vision of Batman using Martial Arts, i never understand what the hell WB wanted, i mean cut figthing scnes in a superhero movie sound like if those guys used to be insane or something.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Funrush

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.