Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Is this Reading Order any good?

Batmanrh23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Batmanrh23

So I've never actually read any an full Batman comic stories. For the last couple of weeks I've been determining in what order I should read all of the Trade Paperbacks, and have finally come up with an order that I THINK is chronological in terms of events. I'm just going to put the chronological list here and ask if the order is any good and if I should make some changes? Thanks so much in advance to anyone who answers!

Reading Order:

Batman: Year One

Batman: The Man That Laughs

Batman: The Long Halloween

Batman: Dark Victory

A Death In The Family

All Four Volumes of Batman: No Man's Land

Batman: Hush

Red Hood: The Lost Days

Under The Red Hood

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Dark Knight Strikes again (Putting these here because I think the are an alternate Universe with old Batman)

Batman and Son Deluxe Edition

Batman: The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul

Batman R.I.P

Batman: Battle For The Cowl

Batman and Robin Volume 1: Batman Reborn

Batman and Robin Volume 2: Batman Vs Robin

Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne

Batman and Robin Volume 3: Batman & Robin Must Die

Batman Incorporated Volume 1: Demon Star

Batman Incorporated Volume 2: Gotham's Most Wanted

From there on I'll read some of the newer New 52 stuff, but for now this is all I have. So is this order good for chronological or do you have some change suggestions that I can make?

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Aahz

Depends on what you want.

If you wan't a good overview over the last continuity you should probably add Killing Joke, Knightfall and maybe Son of the Demon to the list, if you only wan't to read what is necessary to understand the new 52 it is sufficient to start with Hush or Red Hood.

You could also think about adding Gates of Gotham, Streets of Gotham and Black Mirror to the list, this are stories from the end of the continuity that are less weird than the Grand Morrison stuff.

The Long Halloween and Dark Victory are very different style in comparison to the other books, and the what happens in this books is never really referenced in the other books, therefore I would also see them as kind of alternate Universe stories, and Batman: Dark Knight Strikes is usually said to be quite bad (but I never read it so I can't say anything about it).

Batmanrh23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz: Alright, well I'm still going to read Year One, Man that Laughs, Long Halloween and Dark Victory since I've heard the're good, and from their I'll go to the Red hood stories.I'm probably still going to reach Dark Knight Strikes back since I heard the first one was great and a third in the series is on its way. I'm also gonna add No man's Land to the order, even though it may not be needed for New 52, I just want to get as much stories as possible. Also, the Hush saga seems to overlap with Grant Morrison's stories, seeing as how Heart of Hush and House of Hush stars Dick and Damian as the Dynamic Duo.. In what order would I read the four Hush tpb's intertwined with Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin volumes about Dick and Damian?

Batmanrh23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz Also, I'm gonna drop Grant Morrison's series since the ending was just spoiled for me from a review on Knightfall, so I guess I'll replace it with Gates of Gotham and all of that

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.