Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Is the The Dark Knight Returns overrated?

• 67 results
    modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By modernww2fare

Poll Is the The Dark Knight Returns overrated? (66 votes)

Yes! 50%
    No 50%

Does this novel deserve the respect it gets? Or is it extremely overrated?

• 
    kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kiba

It was good more or less. Mostly I think it was something new that I don't remember seeing before but when you tie it in with the sequel it's so lame there are no words. Year one was better. I think Miller is overrated as a Batman writer.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Miller as a BatMan writer its terribly overrated, Dennis ONeill, Englehart and other are better and did more for the character.

I mean The Man who Falls takes Year One and makes it better, besides its better written and its smarter.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Black_Arrow

It's not overrated.

Avatar image for perchance2dream
    Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@the OP, thank you thank you thank you, for bringing this question up! TDKR: great comic, TERRIBLE *Batman* comic. Miller consistently gets these established characters wrong on so many levels. (Don't get me started on his portrayal of Superman.) The one exception is Year One, I thought he did Batman justice there. (Although I also think him making Selina Kyle a prostitute was super unnecessary.)

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This and the watchmen are regarded as the best graphic novels of all time. So, to anyone that doesn't think it's the best, its overrated to them.

I don't think it is overrated though, it really is awesome, and was extrmeley influential to the bronze age of comics.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By frozen  Moderator

These hipsters can try and downplay DKR and disguise it with their hate for Batman beating Superman; but it doesn't in any way undermine the impact that DKR had on Batman. Not only that, but DKR is an thought-provoking story and its political and social commentary makes for a more fascinating read. It's part of the reason why it still holds well today.

It has endured so long, not only for what I've mentioned but it essentially set the tone for the Post-Crisis DCU.

@perchance2dream said:

@the OP, thank you thank you thank you, for bringing this question up! TDKR: great comic, TERRIBLE *Batman* comic. Miller consistently gets these established characters wrong on so many levels. (Don't get me started on his portrayal of Superman.) The one exception is Year One, I thought he did Batman justice there. (Although I also think him making Selina Kyle a prostitute was super unnecessary.)

DKR Batman is one of the best interpretations of the character.

That is how I envision an older Batman to behave given the context.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not overrated the story is amazing especially animated.

Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Perchance2Dream

@frozen: I'm not being a hipster, and by no means am I downplaying TDKR's significance as a piece of literature, but as a *BATMAN* story, I personally think Miller got the character wrong. Go read Alan Grant (Knightfall saga) and Grant Morrison's runs, Detective Comics #27, and re-read the Killing Joke. To each his own-- everyone has their own opinions-- but in my opinion, the whole point of Batman was turn fear against those who prey on the fearful. He became Batman to become a hand of justice. He's the Dark Knight (chilvarous, *knightly* but brooding), not a bully.

Edit: also, the art was good, but it wasn't particularly breathtaking (even for the time). See: The Killing Joke, anything by Jim Aparo

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

Oh yes.

Beata

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overrated: Given an undue amount of credit for quality or merit in a field; not necessarily related to popularity.

I notice people dont understand what overrated actually means.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overrated: Given an undue amount of credit for quality or merit in a field; not necessarily related to popularity.

so which one do you pick? lol

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Never read it, although I did watch the animated version. That was OK, I liked part two better than part one though.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

I said yes a long time ago, pay attention kid.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By modernww2fare

@modernww2fare said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

I said yes a long time ago, pay attention kid.

Sorry amigo, I forgot is all -_-

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No. Batman as a whole is just overrated.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

It's overrated. It was good, and it was influential but its not the best Batman story. I think Year One was Miller's best work. I also think people like Grant Morrison, Dini, Timmverse etc...wrote better Batman stories and characterized him better

Joe_Chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's overrated. It was good, and it was influential but its not the best Batman story. I think Year One was Miller's best work. I also think people like Grant Morrison, Dini, Timmverse etc...wrote better Batman stories and characterized him better

Avatar image for handofprometheus
    HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By HandOfPrometheus

Why do people always ask this?

ManDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SolidWall211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perchance2dream: Actually, it's realistic for Batman to phase to a more cynical type of personality. Miller got the character right imo in the DKR. He is a out of shape (in his standards) senior who has to deal with Gotham in the worst shape than it has ever been for Super Heroes. I'm assuming that you consider his take on Batman to be wrong only because you dislike it.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Why do people always ask this?

Because TDKR tends to be more highly regarded than their favourite stories.

Tikbaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dark Knight Returns is far from overrated in my opinion. It's the best Batman story I've every read, and deserves every piece of recognition that it receives. I read it multiple times a year, along with Watchmen, The Long Halloween, All Star Superman, Dark Victory, Hush, Kingdom Come, The Killing Joke, Year One, Red Son, and a bunch of other certified classic DC stories. If other individuals find it overrated, that's cool, but it's my favorite piece of literary fiction ever.

Morrison's Batman is still my definite version of the character, but early Miller's Old Man Bruce is just too compelling not to appreciate.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lets be real, there was people doing dark and serious Batman before Miller.

ONeill had a bigger impact that Miller, Englehart? you dont remember him.

People got so used to this dogma of Miller being the point where the modern Batman starts it pointless and has hurt the character in the long run.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No, there's a reason for its acclaim and popularity.

BB

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jayc1324 said:

This and the watchmen are regarded as the best graphic novels of all time. So, to anyone that doesn't think it's the best, its overrated to them.

I don't think it is overrated though, it really is awesome, and was extrmeley influential to the bronze age of comics.

Not necessarily. I don't think it's the best but I understand why people like it so much, so I don't really think it's overrated.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 frozen  Moderator

@joe_chill: @ultrastarkiller: How did the Timverse/Animated version portray Batman better? That version of Batman is dumbed in comparison to DKR.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What i am get people thinks overrated means.

I dont like it so it sucks.

I dont see what its all about the praise so it sucks.

And i think it fits this case.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Animated Batman was badass (Though Miller's Batman did kick A LOT OF ASS) and he wasn't a jerk or as insane as Miller's Batman. Plus it portrayed Batman and his relationship with other DC heroes/characters far better than Miller ever could/did.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 frozen  Moderator

@ultrastarkiller: DKR Batman wasn't a jerk or insane; that only came with DKSA and All Star Batman & Robin. He is more brutal in DKR because his age has slowed him down, so he needs to be more brutal because his skill isn't as refined as it once was. DCAU's Batman relationship was portrayed as the average dynamic which is akin to most incarnations; DKR was different because DKR is set in the future of the DCU to which superheroes have been clamped down upon and Superman a government lapdog --- the relationship is supposed to be like that.

DKR provided a thought-provoking account of Bruce Wayne; his addiction and desire to become Batman again, almost acting as a Schizophrenic (ie; the character of Batman manifesting itself inside Bruce's mind as an addiction which he cannot escape) fleshed out his character.

DCAU Batman was good but in comparison to DKR, it was dumbed down and generic.

Joe_Chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: I think Timmverse Batman is the best just because he had more personality. He wasn't a super unstoppable badass batgod (well not as much) and I liked the way he interacted with the villains. He seemed to be more like a normal guy if that makes sense.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By buttersdaman000

I think it was great overall. My only issue with it was the characterization of Superman.

Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@solidwall211: well, yeah. :P that's all any of this is: opinions. Maybe I should rephrase my answer.

I only think TDKR is overrated because it's constantly praised by newbies that have read a grand total of three graphic novels as "the best Batman story ever told," and the "definitive depiction" of Batman.

I like TDKR. It's an incredible story, but I stand by my opinion that it isn't Batman.

As far as your claims that it was Batman's dire circumstances that made Miller write him as hatefully brutal psychopath, you're wrong. Getting old and getting pushed to his edge would never cause Batman to change his creed. It's just Miller's take on Batman, as a character (which is wrong, in my opinion). For proof that a younger Batman written by Miller acts the same way, go read All-Star Batman and Robin. (Or don't because it sucked :P )

For an example of a "more cynical, out-of-shape Batman that has to deal with Gotham in the worst shape it's ever been in" that got the character RIGHT, go watch Batman Beyond :D

SolidWall211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SolidWall211

@perchance2dream: IMO Miller is overrated, but from a different opinion then yours. He is overrated as a writer. He only had to stories that were above average (Batman Year One, DKR), some that are average (Sin City, Dare Devils story that I forgot the name of), and terrible ones (Batman All-Star)

Oh, and as for Batman Beyond. I don't consider that the worst shape of Gotham, well maybe for Terry, but not for the BatGod if he was at least in the proximity of his prime :P

Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@solidwall211: yeah, I can agree with those sentiments :)

But... lol "Batgod" was already using a cane when he made the Beyond suit xD definitely not in his prime. Have you watched the Batman Beyond pilot episode? Batman (Bruce) gets his a$$ kicked, and chooses to hang up the suit because he will never become the kind darkness he's always fought against. (He also gets incredibly curmudgeonly after that, hahahaha.)

SolidWall211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perchance2dream: lol come on man. The guy is around 80, and can still kick most people's a**.

What I meant was that if he was near his prime (his mid 40s) he would have no problem in the neon Gotham universe. I really don't understand how the guy is still living. He has no friends. His life is miserable not because of Gotham, but he was written (in the DCAU) as being too distant to canon standards. IMO

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Jackal9901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Eh when I still think Year One was the best thing Miller did with Batman. DCAU Batman may have been more generic with his interactions with people but that's only because he's more in line with how Batman is usually and should be portrayed. I like that more than Miller's unique portrayal.

Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem with Miller Batman, its that Miller writes Batman to be an avatar for the things he believes in, so it makes the story fits this totally.

Characterization its terrible in his body of work, again by using the characters to justify his point of view.

The thing its that people has being told since it came out that its the most important and best Batman product ever made.

So it became the mantra, the dogma.

Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Perchance2Dream

@transformers1024 said:

Lol, then why are you in his thread? xD

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ParaChomp

No, Miller's a hack.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Transformers1024

@perchance2dream: **sigh** So just because I think his fanboys and critics tend to overrate him automatically means that I must hate Batman? So I can't still enjoy the character and his mythos for what they really are? Good thinking, bub.

Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Perchance2Dream

@parachomp said:

No, Miller's a hack.

*Thank you.*

@transformers1024 said:

@perchance2dream: **sigh** So just because I think his fanboys and critics tend to overrate him automatically means that I must hate Batman? So I can't still enjoy the character and his mythos for what they really are? Good thinking, bub.

I wasn't saying that at all :) It's just, seeing as how your response wasn't even what the OP was asking about, your comment came across to me as somewhat of an unnecessary jab :P

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not my favorite so yeah it is a little overrated but it has accolades for good reason.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@transformers1024 said:

Lol, then why are you in his thread? xD

That you think something its overrated dont mean you hate it or dont like it.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it's overrated, but it definitely is not my favorite Batman Story (I prefer Year One over it)

Still, it's one of the most influential and important works in the comic genre

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it is.

It doesn't really hold up compared to Year One IMO (I'm aware it came before and is a different type of story, still). It's an interesting take on these characters to see them in the future, but any political or social commentary it has is very obvious, and very simple.I think there are stories that better explore and define the characters than the story did.

There really isn't much to the story outside of seeing one way these characters might end up (or did end up in that universe I guess) and the action. Still, for what it is I think it is very well done, and it did have an awful lot of influence.

I have little desire to reread it as frequently as I do other stories, which is why for me I consider it overrated.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.