Is the Gotham Police Dept. The worst police dept. ever?

#1 Edited by GWHH (563 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotham police dept. worst police dept. ever?

I was thinking how bad the Gotham PD is. They always seem to get killed or taken hostage in large number. In the other comics cops get taken hostage like one at a time. In Gotham it's all by the bunches. And spend most of there time being out gunned by the bad guys. Plus they are always being portrayed as being a little trigger happy and a bit nuts. Do they ever even solve a crime?

Even commissioner Gordon is not operating on all cylinders. How does he NOT make the connection that Barbara Gordon his daughter is batgirl. First off she 5 11 in height. How many chicks are that tall?? 2nd how do you disguise your voice and how your move from your dad. Next, if he had it on the ball at all. He would be able to put the pieces together and see who batgirl really is after about 5 minutes of thinking about it!.

Gotham PD could not stop a snow ball fight in July. No wonder crime is out of control in Gotham City!!

As an example of real world police depts. who are just as bad. It come out this week that Detroit police dept. ONLY makes arrest for 10 percent of ALL crimes that investigated/reported to them. From murder to jaywalking.

#2 Edited by War Killer (20009 posts) - - Show Bio

Uh, have you seen the kind of crap they have to deal with pretty much every day? That would give any department a hard time.

#3 Edited by cosmo111687 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotham City is the worst place on earth. In addition to the on-going struggle against organized crime, Gotham is home to the inmates of Arkham Asylum, The Court of Owls, The Religion of Crime, and The Mutants. In Batwoman #0 - Beyond a Shadow, Batwoman travels across the world, entering into some of the deadliest conflict zones on the planet, in order to prepare herself for crime fighting in Gotham. Batman, as a mortal man, is only able to equal Superman because he has been repeatedly tested and hardened by his experiences fighting crime in Gotham. And speaking of Superman, In No Man's Land, Superman attempted to offer his aid to the crumbling Gotham, but had to retreat when he realized that he wasn't well-equipped to handle the situation. Average, everyday cops just aren't enough in Gotham.

#4 Posted by Wolverine08 (39033 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup.

#5 Edited by Breadspread (774 posts) - - Show Bio

No, but it is corrupt. The good cops put up a great fight and are often the Bats biggest allies.

James Gordon is awesome, Harvey Bullock is awesome, Montoya was awesome until they wrote her into the Dark Knight film as a sell out, I think that's why the new 52 took her in a new direction.

#6 Posted by Black_Arrow (2599 posts) - - Show Bio

It is more amazing that the police survives in gotham. No cop can handle it

#7 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (5967 posts) - - Show Bio

Put these guys who's city is literally a big Asylum as it attracts crazy's, in New York and they'll get serious sh*t done.

#8 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

There has been shown of corrupt cops in Gotham and there is a conspiracy. One of them may be responsible of bringing the Joker. There were two that killed one of Ivy’s orphans that she protected. Batman does not jurisdiction and he is too busy to take care of it. Lets not get started with child care services.

I am not sure if Gothem the worst police department. The Snork patrol has one police officer but he is a competent one. Maybe South Park could be it. Isle Defino from Super Mario Sunshine justice system is a complete joke.

#9 Posted by danhimself (22320 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's really naive to think that Gordon doesn't know that Batman is Bruce Wayne or that his daughter is Batgirl....Gordon is a good cop and a really good detective...he's had to have figured it out by now...at least he must have in the PreFlashpoint timeline...he probably just sees no point in revealing that he knows

#10 Posted by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

Uh, have you seen the kind of crap they have to deal with pretty much every day? That would give any department a hard time.

Gotham City is the worst place on earth. In addition to the on-going struggle against organized crime, Gotham is home to the inmates of Arkham Asylum, The Court of Owls, The Religion of Crime, and The Mutants. In Batwoman #0 - Beyond a Shadow, Batwoman travels across the world, entering into some of the deadliest conflict zones on the planet, in order to prepare herself for crime fighting in Gotham. Batman, as a mortal man, is only able to equal Superman because he has been repeatedly tested and hardened by his experiences fighting crime in Gotham. And speaking of Superman, In No Man's Land, Superman attempted to offer his aid to the crumbling Gotham, but had to retreat when he realized that he wasn't well-equipped to handle the situation. Average, everyday cops just aren't enough in Gotham.

I think it's really naive to think that Gordon doesn't know that Batman is Bruce Wayne or that his daughter is Batgirl....Gordon is a good cop and a really good detective...he's had to have figured it out by now...at least he must have in the PreFlashpoint timeline...he probably just sees no point in revealing that he knows

No, but it is corrupt. The good cops put up a great fight and are often the Bats biggest allies.

James Gordon is awesome, Harvey Bullock is awesome, Montoya was awesome until they wrote her into the Dark Knight film as a sell out, I think that's why the new 52 took her in a new direction.

All these.

@breadspread She wasn't technically Montoya but yeah I'd also like to believe that she was the TDK version of her. Btw which one do you think was the TDK version of Bullock?

#11 Edited by Breadspread (774 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy: ha, you're right it wasn't Montoya. That's awesome! I was let down when I thought they made Montoya a trader.

Totally a TDK version of her. If there's a TDK version of Bullock I'd have to go with the Stephens character.

#12 Posted by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@breadspread: Yeah, Stephens was the TDK version of Bullock for me too.

#13 Edited by SupBatz (1705 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say the opposite. Any of the good cops willing to serve for the police department of THE WORST city on Earth are pretty brave in my eyes. Of course, the double bind situation here is that no sensible man or woman would want to enforce the law in a near lawless city. And then the police force is too short-handed to handle the situation because of said situation.

It also doesn't help that the presence of Batman takes some credibility away from the GCPD (see Gotham Central).

As for Gordon, I like to think that he does know Batman and Batgirl's identities but chooses to not acknowledge them. Maybe not in the current Batgirl series, but definitely in the greater picture of things.

#14 Posted by RedLantern23 (884 posts) - - Show Bio

I think thats kind of the point. If they were a great police force, then Gotham wouldnt be the most dangerous city on Earth would it? Plus its common knowledge that there is corruption among the force.

As far as Batman's identity, thats not just a pitfall for Batman. Its for EVERY character. Every hero has someone/multiple people who should know their identity but dont. Thats just how it is in comics.

#15 Posted by Outside_85 (8204 posts) - - Show Bio

Would say the police in the city the Movement is taking place in is worse. Gotham PD might be corrupt to the core, but in the Movement it appears all the real criminals in the city are those in uniforms.

#16 Posted by QueenCorp15 (1023 posts) - - Show Bio

Uuummmmm wat r u talking about gotham central

#17 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7597 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol, when you spell it out like that Gotham really is a dump.

#18 Posted by Knightfall225 (1825 posts) - - Show Bio

Well when you live in a city full of killers and maniacs its hard to maintain order. They have a great leader in James Gordon but younger cops are always corrupt in the GCPD

#19 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (6223 posts) - - Show Bio

yes, if it was real.

#20 Posted by Jayc1324 (10018 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah they suck, it's their job to be able to deal with jokers and two faces and penguins

#21 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Have you seen the amount of villains crawling around the city? I'm more surprised there is a police department there.

#22 Posted by dagmar_merrill (7041 posts) - - Show Bio

No. They have insanely hard jobs and I don't thin any other cop force from any other city could do as good as them.

#23 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Hub City's is far worse.

#24 Posted by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Gotham City is one of the worst cities ever and they play a big role to stop it from falling it apart. GCPD is of the very few police departments that actually do something. And James Gordon could quite possibly be the best cop in the U.S. I read somewhere that Batman says that Gordon knows that he's Batman but just doesn't say anything. I can totally see that happening. He's a supporter of the Bat family and sees no need to care about their identities. That's pre New 52, though.

#25 Posted by Breadspread (774 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: wasn't Gordon punished by being sent to Gotham? Because of what happened in Chicago?

Did they ever tell the story of what happened in Chicago? If so where can I read it?

#26 Posted by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

@breadspread: I've never read it, so idk. Either way, Gordon is a great cop, regardless of whatever he did in Chicago

#27 Edited by Breadspread (774 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: I agree, I love Gordon, one of my Favourite characters.

I think he took down cop in Chicago... But I'm not sure, (year one hints at this I think).

I'm not even sure if they ever elaborated on it other than making references to it like "that mess in Chicago..."

If there is a story, I'd love to read it.

Edit: I just brought it up because Gotham is so bad it is seen as a punishment to be relocated there.

#28 Posted by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

@breadspread: yeah I would read a miniseries about James Gordon

#29 Edited by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Gotham City is one of the worst cities ever and they play a big role to stop it from falling it apart. GCPD is of the very few police departments that actually do something. And James Gordon could quite possibly be the best cop in the U.S. I read somewhere that Batman says that Gordon knows that he's Batman but just doesn't say anything. I can totally see that happening. He's a supporter of the Bat family and sees no need to care about their identities. That's pre New 52, though.

It was in Hush if I remember correctly.

#30 Posted by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy: yeah you're correct. i remember now

#31 Posted by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Edited by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

In most media the police are rendered incompetent, corrupted or both in order for the protagonist or antagonist to do everything. If the protagonist is a cop, which means he/she is the only good cop around and he/she need to be a loose canon. It is lazy writing that we have accepted to move the plot. It is more surprising to see police competent.

Pokemon Adventures 10 year old children that have little knowledge of the town barley any detective skills are doing the job.

#33 Posted by GWHH (563 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by Perethorn (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

PIzza is faster than Police in Mexico City, so no.

#35 Posted by GWHH (563 posts) - - Show Bio

Once again Gotham PD leads the charge into bad ideas and tactics. This is from the new Evil Forever issue 2. After the Crime Syndicate said they killed off the Justice League. GPD leads the charge on stopping them:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.