Is ‘The Dark Knight Trilogy’ the Definitive Batman Story?

• 182 results
Posted by erik_norris (191 posts) - - Show Bio

Please put down your torches and pitchforks. The intention of this article is not to get a rise out of you (see what I did there?). It’s just that, like many of you, I’ve had The Dark Knight Rises on my brain nonstop since seeing it at a midnight showing opening night. It also doesn’t help that I’ve been writing nearly every article I’ve done over the past week to the movie’s official soundtrack. I have Bat-fever, to say the least, and that fever has given birth to a simple question that’s been gnawing at my brain for the last few days: is Christopher Nolan’s THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY the definitive Batman story?

If you have not seen The Dark Knight Rises, read no further. Spoilers ahead!

It’s a daunting question, for sure. With 70+ years of stories under his belt, most of which are written and drawn by some of the best our fine industry has to offer, the Batman has been privileged with some of the best comic stories around. But after seeing The Dark Knight Rises twice now and reminiscing fondly about Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, I believe Chris Nolan has crafted a saga that ranks as one of the best Batman stories ever told, if not the best.

My main argument roots itself in the fact that Nolan’s Batman trilogy actually gives Bruce Wayne a definitive ending to his time as the Caped Crusader. Better yet, Bruce gets a happy ending, something that’s pretty much impossible to do in his comic interpretation. Let me explain: Chris Nolan actually allows Bruce to move on past his parents’ death and begin living and enjoying life again. Whereas in the comics, Bruce Wayne will forever be tormented by the death of his parents to fuel his war on crime. Because a status quo must be upheld for future generations of readers to be able to pick up a Batman comic and understand it, Bruce Wayne will always be Batman and, as a result, he will always be a miserable human being.

Motivated by the ideals of Batman, Blake finds a new calling in life.

The idea of Bruce Wayne actually being able to get over his parents’ death allowed Chris Nolan and the rest of the crew working on THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY the opportunity to really play up one of Batman’s defining themes -- legacy. In the comics, Bruce Wayne has drafted many people into his continual war on those who pray on the fearful. We’ve had five Robins, three Batgirls, a Batwoman, and a large number of other colorful characters carrying on Batman’s tradition of stomping the faces of criminals. However, as long as Batman is around, these characters will always feel secondary, no matter how many mini-series and ongoings they each get to tell you otherwise. Batman will always overshadow all of them and there will never be a true passing of the torch.

In the Nolan-verse, things are different. For starters, we don’t have a bunch of little boys running around in pixie boots. Instead, Batman is left to inspire ordinary folks to stand up against injustice, a theme started in Batman Begins with Jim Gordon, then played with more heavily in The Dark Knight with the impostor Batmen, and finally concluding in The Dark Knight Rises with the entire Gotham City police department and, more specifically, John “Robin” Blake quitting the force because the “structural shackles” of law enforcement permit him from delivering true justice.

The mantle of the Batman is not reserved for Bruce Wayne alone. It can be argued that Christopher Nolan's underlining thesis on Batman is that anyone can serve as Gotham's Dark Knight as long as they have the motivation and dedication to stopping injustice. The position isn't reserved for only orphaned boys, although they seem to gravitate to the role like a fly towards light. As Bruce states in BEGINS, Batman is not a man, because a man can be corrupted or killed. Instead, Batman is an ideal, a symbol that anyone can aspire to, even men wearing hockey pads, though their life expectancy is much shorter.

The idea of Batman being more of a catalyst to inspire those fed up with how the system is operated has always fascinated me more than just seeing Bruce Wayne under the cape and cowl on repeat. I don't see it written anywhere that just because Bruce Wayne donned the costume first in 1939 that he should forever be under it. Isn't it a more powerful statement to the character's value that even when Bruce Wayne is gone, the legend of the Batman lives on?

Unique takes on iconic characters, both heroes and villains, make Nolan's films stand out.

Now, while Chris Nolan’s Batman films clearly nail the thematics that drive Batman to do what he does, they don’t hit every note perfectly. If there’s one part to Batman that the Nolan-verse films fail to put on proper display it is the actual detective aspect of the character. Nolan’s version of Batman is more a ninja than a super sleuth, content with searching for something on Wikipedia and calling it a day.

The supporting cast has made the movies even more enjoyable (if that's possible).

Furthermore, the Nolan-verse Batman is more reactionary than preemptive; something goes terribly wrong and Batman has to deal with it. In the comics, especially those of Grant Morrison, Batman is a man that has countermeasures to his countermeasures. It’s borderline psychotic how many angles he’s thought of to prevent every possible scenario. The Bruce Wayne of the movies is not like that, outside when he creates the sonar computer to track the Joker.

Those two issues aside, I feel like I could go on for another 2,000 plus words on the subject of what’s absolutely incredible about Chris Nolan’s Batman films -- the supporting cast, the unique takes on iconic villains, the music, etc. But let me bring this to a close by readdressing my original question: is THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY the definitive Batman tale? Some might feel differently, but due to the trilogy’s finite (happy) ending for Bruce and the fact that every major theme that makes Batman Batman is present and accounted for, I’m going to say yes.

Chris Nolan and everyone else working on the DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY should be elated with the work they’ve done on these films. They’ve given us a definitive take on the character that doesn’t just rehash exactly what we’ve already read in year’s prior. The films aren’t perfect, but they’re pretty darn close. And if I ever need to prove to someone why Batman is a great character, I can hand him or her these three movies and the point should be made with an exclamation mark.

Erik Norris is a freelance writer for sites such as ComicVine, IGN and CraveOnline.com. You can stalk him on Twitter @Regular_Erik.

#1 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8151 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess so, though I feel the ending is ambiguous on wether he is dead or not.

#2 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCheeseStabber said:

I guess so, though I feel the ending is ambiguous on wether he is dead or not.

Uhm did you see the ending? 

I think it's not the definitive Batman story because....

#3 Posted by erik_norris (191 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by Big_Nasty (343 posts) - - Show Bio

The nolanverse is  collection of some to the greatest  batman story arks to create one awesome dark knight trilogy ,

#5 Posted by DDangelico (221 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its difficult to compare mediums. The stories told in the comics are received differently, so I think comparing them is a bit problematic. I responded differently to Frank Millers Batman: Year One than I did to Batman Begins, but I think that they are both definitive origin stories in their own respective mediums.

I know that's not really an answer, but it's something that I wrestle with constantly. Sometimes it's difficult to separate a movie from its source material--which can equally hurt/help the film in our own personal critical analysis of it.

#6 Posted by CRACKERMAN92 (70 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the The Dark Knight films are the definitive superhero movies in direction, acting, and story. And yes they aren't perfect .

#7 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8151 posts) - - Show Bio

@erik_norris: my only qualm is that the nuclear blast was so large and he was in the middle of the ocean and we see him fore most of the flight, and earlier he mentioned no auto pilot. I think , to me, that he died and that Alfred saw him at peace, because he was at peace with him self in death he was.

#8 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

...I don't think it is because I think it could havebeen improved on in so many different ways.

#9 Posted by Om4zd (923 posts) - - Show Bio

Nolan's trilogy is definitely in my top 10 Batman stories of all time now. It's up there with Year One, The Dark Knight Returns and Knightfall.

#10 Posted by Inverno (13315 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#11 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5125 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell no! They were really good movies but they didn't capture the true Batman. The Dark Knight Returns and Year One by Miller are definitive stories in my opinion. Some honorable mentions are The Long Halloween, The Animated series, Snyders run is already in the top, and Nightfall.

#12 Posted by Tellumo (511 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCheeseStabber:I think you're reading too far into it, just accept that Bruce is happy.

#13 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8151 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tellumo: I'm accepting that he's happy, just not necessarily alive.

#14 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8151 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n: Thought he saw her once...but still, I guess we'll never know.

#16 Edited by J2Metal (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I disagree with the notion that anyone could be Batman. The character dedicated his entire life to training his mind and body to be the perfect weapon against crime.

The idea that a cop could just find his car and batsuit and suddenly be Batman makes the character seem less special. It strips him of his intelligence and discipline, which to me make Batman who he is, not his tools or uniform.

#17 Posted by Chaos Burn (1787 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's face it, Nolans films will be remember for a long long time

#18 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont think its the definitive batman story because it doesnt stay close to the comics. it has to change charecters around to fit nolans realism.they were good movies but the werent the definitive batman story. i think year one takes that.

#19 Posted by The Stegman (25012 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitive? Maybe, The reboot COULD be better (although it's highly unlikely) anything is possible. But it is the best Batman movie adaptation so far, sorry Burton.

#20 Posted by LittleSocrates (42 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, I came in here really hoping the argument would be for "The Dark Knight," "The Dark Knight Rises," "The Dark Knight Returns." Now that could be the definitive Batman story...disallowing the mild confusion during Returns without "A Death In The Family," I suppose.

Sadly, most viewers don't seem to agree that these could be the definitive stories. I've found that multiple people wish they had "known more about Bane" because they had trouble connecting with the character in the film on his own merits. The sad thing about that is, of course, that Bane is usually not written very well and Nolan's reinvention of the character is probably the best thing to happen to him since Knightfall. But that tells me that many people respond to these characters in a large way because of their previous understanding and interaction with them.

I would argue that TAS is the current "definitive" Batman series, with Year One, The Killing Joke, and A Death In The Family being the "definitive" Batman stories. Sadly, TDKR and A Serious House on Serious Earth largely get the shaft in terms of public consciousness, despite their extremely high levels of quality. I also considered Long Halloween, Son of the Demon, and Knightfall, but I'd argue that most casual Batman fans are completely unfamiliar with those concepts and stories.

#21 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I think there's a strong argument for the trilogy as the definitive structure of Batman, mostly because it borrows from so many of the greatest Batman stories (e.g., Year One, Knightfall, DKR) and incorporates so many elements of such a "broad" character.

I can see how some people might feel that certain major character elements didn't translate onto the screen--he's more "gadgeteer commando" than "ninja Sherlock Holmes" for example--but I think they've definitely done a good job of it all things considered. It really depends on what you mean by "definitive". If you're talking accuracy against the comics, of course not because it took so many liberties with various elements of the mythos. However, if you're talking more about the core concept and spirit of the character, then they nailed it with only a few quibbles (Batman would never say "I don't have to save you" to anyone, but I digress).

Thanks to some fantastic performances by the villains--and the villains are the most important part of Batman--they've created an iconic and memorable interpretation of the Batman universe. Combined with the popularity of the films, yeah, you could call it definitive.

#22 Posted by Deranged Midget (17714 posts) - - Show Bio

If TDKR was a better film in line with BB and TDK, then yes, it could've been the definitive trilogy or representation of Batman in modern media. But for what it is, it still stands to be the most successful.

#23 Edited by btmt (222 posts) - - Show Bio

@J2Metal said:

I disagree with the notion that anyone could be Batman. The character dedicated his entire life to training his mind and body to be the perfect weapon against crime.

The idea that a cop could just find his car and batsuit and suddenly be Batman makes the character seem less special. It strips him of his intelligence and discipline, which to me make Batman who he is, not his tools or uniform.

^^^^THIS^^^^^.

I'm completely agree with you my friend. I can't think of anyone else other than Bruce Wayne as BATMAN.

Just wearing a Batsuit doesn't make Batman.

#24 Posted by 4thhorseman (72 posts) - - Show Bio

While I find it good, I don't find it definitive. I think Batman should be a legacy type thing that never dies, but I also don't find that Bruce would be so quick to quit since crime wouldn't stop after TDKR. He should still be there overseeing it and making sure the new recruit could hold his own and see Gotham was in the right hands. I think Batman Beyond had it right as to how Bruce would have acted.

#25 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie wasn't about Bruce Wayne like how the comics are, they were about Batman and the idea that someone can start a something greater than themselves and give everything they have and then passing it on to someone with the same ideas and the same principles.

The comics are about Bruce Wayne and how he gave up everything to be Batman, made a set of rules and will go to any means necessary to stop crime.

This difference can be attributed to a change in medium because as much as bat-fans would love to see him sitting in the batcave brooding over a computer contemplating how to stop crime before it starts, mainstream audiences wouldn't. There needs to be more action or else no one would watch it.

While the movies might not be THE definitive Batman story, they are right up in the top 3 for sure.

#26 Posted by SupBatz (1777 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely not. Yes, it's a good trilogy. But it's not the definitive Batman story. While is covers many aspects of Batman, there's also a lot missing (for one, as mentioned in the blog, Bruce is not a detective - he simply reacts to things). This is no fault on Nolan's part though. It's nearly impossible to fit every aspect of Batman's character and the characters of his supporting cast into one single trilogy.

As for the whole "happy ending" and "Batman in the comics will be forever miserable" thing...yeah, no. Bruce is not as miserable as Nolan's trilogy makes him out to be. Alfred's speech treating being Batman like it's a curse is complete bull crap. Being Batman is not a curse - it's an honor. Bruce knows he's doing good and that the world needs him. He is not miserable. He may not be the happiest guy around and some writers might play up his dark side but he is not miserable. I've seen Bruce have TONS of happy endings in stories. Of course, these endings differ from Nolan's in that they're not finite. They don't end Bruce's career. But that doesn't make them any less happy.

Nolan's trilogy is great. But it's not Batman's definitive story. I'm sure plenty of people may say it is because it's so fresh in everybody's minds but I know that eventually a new film series or TV series will come along and prove that there's too many aspects of Batman and his universe to fit into one film or television series. Limitless potential. There is no definitive Batman story as far as I'm concerned. Only thousands of stories that help to build and endlessly expanding picture of the Dark Knight.

#27 Posted by Utandi (218 posts) - - Show Bio

"Isn't it a more powerful statement to the character's value that even when Bruce Wayne is gone, the legend of the Batman lives on?"

Totally agreed!

I really enjoyed Dick Grayson as Batman in the "Batman & Robin" run.

Very good article despite the fact that I would go for the Morrison Batman...I think. Or not? Hmmmm...

#28 Posted by DDangelico (221 posts) - - Show Bio

@btmt said:

@J2Metal said:

^^^^THIS^^^^^.

I'm completely agree with you my friend. I can't think of anyone else other than Bruce Wayne as BATMAN.

Just wearing a Batsuit doesn't make Batman.

See initially I was on this side. But after some thought I came up with basically two different things that made me think otherwise :

1)

Who says John Blake became Batman right away--or even at all? Perhaps he becomes a Batman-esque figure after years of training and traveling like Bruce did. The ending is very ambiguous to this so it's rather difficult to say exactly what happens one way or another.

2)

Dick Grayson donned the cowl and did a very good job with it.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth...

#29 Posted by Knight_Justice (77 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest, I think there is a possibility for a sequel. For example, Joker is locked up, let's say Dr. Harleen Quinzel is trying to rehab the Joker, but he corrupt her instead and both escape and bring chaos to Gotham City forcing Bruce Wayne to return. Also, if we want "real version villains", Deadshot, and Hush fit that role, even Mr. Freeze could appear as a villain with a good damn script. I'm just giving ideas...

#30 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

As for Batman in film, there's not a lot left to say about the character without it being a regurgitation (at least at this point).

For me, I'm fine if I don't see another Batman in my lifetime. I'm sated.

#31 Edited by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

Did anyone else feel TDKR is more of a gotham story than a batman story?

#32 Posted by EvanTheMexiJew (99 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally think it is, only because it have a beginning, middle and end. It also draws from so many of the best Batman stories, like Year One, the Long Holloween, Dark Knight Returns and Knightfall. While many will say Year One was the definitive origin, that's all it was. It wasn't THE Batman story, even though it is great. Honestly, I think a great Batman story should put Bruce through a journey, like the entire Knightfall series did, or even the Court of Owls. I love all the great Batman stories, but few can be considered to be a definitive Batman story, and I put the Dark Knight Trilogy into that category.

#33 Posted by AdamChapman (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@J2Metal said:

J2Metal's right about the uniqueness of Batman. Sure, anyone COULD be Batman, but there's a whole sentence that goes along with that statement: anyone could be Batman if they trained constantly and perfected their mind and body to be that perfect weapon to fight crime.

John Blake might have the right idea about being the hero Gotham needs, but he lacks the proper training to truly be BATMAN. In the comics, there's time for the Robins to get that same training, and in the case of Dick Grayson, Jason Todd and even Tim later on, they also have the same emotional drive and traumatic experience to make them Batman, to make such a solemn and serious pledge. It's a deep, deep drive.

#34 Edited by SocialBat (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Nolan's trilogy is not the definitive Batman story. At the risk of sounding too philosophical, Batman's definitive story lies within yourself. As fucking awesome as Nolan's Batman is, and he is, I can't reconcile it's few shortcomings. I can't buy into Bruce only being in the Bat suit for a year and his being out of commission for eight years.

Nolan's trilogy are cinematic masterpieces. There is no arguing the fact that they will successfully represent Batman for years to come. But it is possible to make a better film, it probably won't happen anytime soon but it is possible. Imagine a Batman noir film ;)

#35 Posted by abeyance (239 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespideyguy: I agree with you, the last one especially revolved more around other people than batman himself. Even the Dark Knight spent more time on the Gordon, Joker and other individuals. The only movie about Batman was the first one. Far as movies go this was a decent trilogy but as a Batman story it was lackluster

#36 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14942 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCheeseStabber said:

@erik_norris: my only qualm is that the nuclear blast was so large and he was in the middle of the ocean and we see him fore most of the flight, and earlier he mentioned no auto pilot. I think , to me, that he died and that Alfred saw him at peace, because he was at peace with him self in death he was.

Thank God that I'm not the only one who thinks this, lol

#38 Posted by Chibi-Iroh (388 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly think that it is one of the greatest Batman stories ever told. I love that Nolan made Batman a symbol he made him more than a man.

#39 Posted by VyseCarma (259 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceIMC Bayman has walked away before, Check out Batman Beyond, or The Dark Knight Returns, or when he came back from the dead and told Dick to continue.

They've tried to give Batman a happy ending in the comics, but everytime the fans cry foul so I think they've given up.

#40 Posted by Vitality (1768 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously peoples opinions will difer. That being said...my opinion is absolutely yes, this is the definitive Batman story to me. This story, grounded in realism, is what made me like the character so much.

#41 Posted by Blizaga101 (942 posts) - - Show Bio

nope, not for me. not until i see a batman film which is much more based around the comics. i like the realism of nolans films, but what i wanna see is the characters that nolan refusd to use as he couldnt make them realistic. I want to see batman vs freeze, poison ivy or clayface. these colourful characters are what make me love batman.

#42 Posted by DoctorTrips (127 posts) - - Show Bio

@SocialBat: I have to absolutely agree.

#43 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2272 posts) - - Show Bio

Without reading the article, just going by the title. I would say no, not the definitive Batman movie. Its defiantly the BEST Batman movie so far. And its a great story. But not definitive to me. In this Bruce is more human than Batman is portrayed in the comics. Bruce refuses to know his limits whereas Batman in the comics knows all his limits and is constantly pushing them. His Batman voice in the movie wasn't very good, and compared to the cartoon show is was pretty bad. The second movie with the Joker is a definitive Batman movie, but maybe not THE definitive. And one of the main reasons for me that it isn't is that Bruce's war on crime was something Bruce was always trying to get out of in the movies. In #2 Bruce is going to give up being Batman for Rachel because he thinks that Dent can be the hero the city needs. Especially in this last one, Bruce would never be able to give up being Batman. I I think we wont get a definitive Batman movie unless he ends up being more like the comics, which the animated series made him. A man who has contingency plans for everything, knows how to defeat his best friends. Stuff like that.

#44 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1672 posts) - - Show Bio

Despite the fact, that his parents' death fueled his rage making him start this crusade and not his personal vendetta, I always had the feeling that for Bruce the Batman isn't just a way to battle hiw own demons. Honestly, Bruce can't have his personal share of happiness (at least that kind of happiness), cause the Batman persona is all that he is. He can't stop being what he is. I remember (ok, it's not canon) a Batman Beyond episode, where old Bruce knew someone was faking to be his (Bruce's) voice of conscience, cause he called him Bruce and not Batman. Then Terry told him, I'm the Batman now and Bruce answered, say it to my conscience, or something similar. I won't disagree, this a great saga for a non-canon Batman, where the mission isn't everything. You put it really well, when you said that there's a plethore of incredible Bat-stories and for that we're lucky. So, I believe that which story defines best Batman, depends from the point of view or to be more precise what somebody wants to see in the whole Batman legend. For me, Bruce is the ultimate Homo Universalis, the perfect man, whose personal tragedy gave him two options. Accept life as it is or make this place a better one. If you accept life as it is, you stop mourning and you keep going. If you want to make this place a better one, you can never stop mourning for a loss, cause that loss reminds you of your purpose. You never let go. That's the meaning of a crusade, right? A better world and not a vengeance. Last but not least, my definitive Batman stories? Long Halloween, Year One, Hush and (although I'm not a Morrison fan) Arkham Asylum.

#45 Posted by chrisburgess99 (62 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the definitive Batman trilogy. There was a beginning, middle, and end. Nolan attempted to present Batman as a realistic character taking him down to his basic elements. He created a story arc that when seen connects overall or by themselves. He did not take the character and wrap him into the Dark Knight Detective, that comic readers know him as. This would have taken the story in another direction and the audience would have spent a good 45 minutes of each movie watching him use detective skills and not Batman quickly connect the dots to what each nemesis was up. To argue other points the 1989 movie that introduced audiences to Batman in theaters stands alone as a geat story. The other movies following it have been more hit and miss pending on the elements. I would like to see a "franchise" in the mode of James Bond. A Batman movie could be made and Batman takes up as we left off. Batman is becoming like the Superman "franchise" where his origin is repeated in the initial movie and he fights the same villian. Comic book readers from casual fans all no his origin and want to see him go into action. I am glad that Nolan introduced Scarecrow and Rha's as villians and re-introduced Batman's other rogues and made them better.

#46 Posted by BatClaw89 (144 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blizaga101: go watch Tim Burton's Batman. Its been done. The Dark Knight  is the best Batman movie out there.
#47 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

mmm there could always be a better story, the story in these films was good, not excellent, just good. but compared to any of the other live action batman films this defintley is the better and more entertaining.

But that being said i hope just because the success of these 3 films doesnt staple the formula for superhero films to only be REALISTIC, like anyone who has watched the batman cartoon or played and beat Batman Arkham city an even better batman story can still be made not totally leaning toward realism, but we live in a generation where if the superhero isnt dark or have tragedy in their life then it wil be ranted upon the internets and send word around that the movies is "boring" "to unrealistic" and what i say to that is....isnt that the point? are we not supposed to go see a movie to escape reality? these movies, especially batman movies are supposed to be projected with what the directors sees in these superheros.

also just for a good laugh you guys should go to IMDB and look at their top 250, both TDK and TDKR are in the top 10 lol im guessing the 12 yr olds that voted that up there must not have seen forrest gump, City of God, Rear Window, Se7ven, Saving private ryan, Leon: the professional and many other fils that are way better than batman.

and readthe message boards, theyre kids that think this is the GREATEST movie ever in every aspect lmao

#48 Edited by TheMultiverse (142 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the Trilogy were amazing films full of amazing actors, and actresses. The set pieces, lighting, and pacing were near flawless film making. However as "batman movies" i will always think they fell a bit short. There's quite a few reasons for this, but just to name a few i have to bring up that in the nolanverse Bruce was only batman for a very short time. Then he still walks away at the end to what i assume is to let Robin train alone until he comes back. That just doesn't seem right. Batman is sipping fine wine while the first Robin fights Gotham alone? If the eight year vacation was any indication it could be quite awhile before Bruce gets bored of Catwoman, and decides to "return" again.

I thought the gadgets, and preparation were lacking in the nolanverse. I never got the vibe that Bruce/Batman was just as much as a cerebral planning genius as he was a physical force. Which brings me to another point. Some will say that the Bane fight was so weak, because Bruce didn't want to kill Bane(obviously) he just wanted to take him down. Which wasn't going to happen. Even with that being a possibility Batman still seemed like a complete amateur in both his fights with Bane. In the end to me the nolanverse made Batman seem as though he was all Fear, and inspiration. Rather than Fear, inspiration, cerebral planning, and unmatched fighting skill. Basically imo the Trilogy could have nailed home a more cerebral Batman with much, much better fight scenes.

#49 Edited by kennybaese (1132 posts) - - Show Bio

While Nolan's film trilogy definitely feels the most complete in that we do get an end to Bruce Wayne's story, I don't know that I would call it "definitive". I definitely feel that there are better Batman stories out there that do a more definitive job of exploring the character, and while I love the Nolan films, there are enough issues with the last half an hour of The Dark Knight and throughout The Dark Knight Rises that it fails to fulfill its potential. Nolan's Batman movies are, in a lot of ways, barely Batman stories at all and more crime epics that happen to have Batman in them.

#50 Posted by erik_norris (191 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective: Yea, of course. I was merely responding to...

whether the movie keeps it ambiguous that Bruce is dead or not. Between the auto pilot fixed scene and Bruce and Selina in Italy, it's pretty much confirmed he's alive and well..

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.