Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Is TDKR the most iconic comic of all time?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

..Just wondering if Frank Miller's famous comic is the most iconic comic...it seems to feature highly in an awful lot of reader top 10s I have seen on various internet forums and Amazon fan lists and the like. It also usually tops the "top 10 Batman graphic novels of all time" list. If not TDKR, what is?

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

IMO,Year One is.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

It and Year One but if we are talking about the best Batman comic then it's most definitely R.I.P.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think its the most famous comic book, even many people who don't read comics know about it.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Wouldn't it be like, Amazing Fantasy 15, Action Comics 1, Detective Comics 27, or hulk 181? Or something like that?

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lateralus

Most iconic IMO is The Phoenix/Dark Phoenix Saga.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't it be like, Amazing Fantasy 15, Action Comics 1, Detective Comics 27, or hulk 181? Or something like that?

No.The appropriate comic for Batman,in this pack of comicbooks,is Detective #27.

It's like Spider-Man's "Kraven's last Hunt"

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: I'm not sure I know what you mean.... He was asking what was the most iconic comic, so those were my answers.

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@punyparker: the OP asked for the greatest comic of all time. Matthewparker's answers were appropriate...

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redlantern23:

@punyparker: I'm not sure I know what you mean.... He was asking what was the most iconic comic, so those were my answers.

You mentioned the most iconic comics for the most famous Superheroes,and i disagreed.

I mean that the comics you posted is another category of "iconic" -ness.

And added that what's KLH for Spider-Man ,that's TDKR is for Batman.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Watchmen is the most iconic comic off all time

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: ....ok? I wish the op would respond and say what he's looking for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Uhhh, no. So much no.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That and the watchmen. Detective comics and amazing fantasy and all all that stuff aren't actually great comics. If batman and Spidey didnt blow up in popularity no one would've looked twice at those.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Hmm...

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: they don't have to be good, to be iconic. Also I'm not sure as a person of this age how well you can really judge older comics....unless you are older, in which case I apologize.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@papinacho: The it is the most iconic BATMAN book of all time. Not sure how a false characterization of one hero for the sake of glorifying another gets considered a good book anyway.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: ....ok? I wish the op would respond and say what he's looking for.

I think he wants verification that TDKR is the most iconic Batman story.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papinacho: none of my mainstream friend have ever heard of watchman or TDKR....

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say it and Year One are the 2 most iconic Batman comics of all time....but THE most iconic comics? No. Hell, TDKR isn't even the best Frank Miller run in 1986, Daredevil's Born Again is.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends, if we're talking about how it handled the politics, violence and social structure of its time it is very close to TDKR and Watchmen. While most people say Watchmen was more spot on I go with TDKR. Watchmen might be more "realistic" but the way Miller touched all those aspects through the comic/pop culture prism was more entertaining, the corrupt government, that complete jerk of a president, the idiots in tv, the dirty Harry style scenes of Batman like saving that hooker from her pimp in the cub, the punk style mob of mutants, the criminals fooling the system, the soviets making their move and the panic of the masses, and all these leading to a climactic fight of a man who never compromises and someone who wants to be accepted by helping. Comics like this helped an entire generation of people understand the world and there are more than you may think just not written in the same fashion or based in the same era and problems of humanity.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By buttersdaman000

It's one of the most, but not the most. The first comics I thought of were the Phoenix Saga, All-Star Superman, Year One, and Watchmen. But, IMO, after some thinking, the most iconic comic would be The death and return of Superman. National News stations reported the event. That's huge. You can go up to anybody off the street and 9/10 they would know that Superman died fighting Doomsday over anything in TDKR.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: I was about to come here to say that. I'm surprised you were the first. Maybe some other comics might be more iconic in the eyes of the fans, but Death of Superman is definitely the most iconic over all as far as the general population goes. I don't think that many people outside of comic fans have really heard of the Phoenix Sega. With it's connection to the upcoming film and to some extent to Nolan films people probably have become more aware of TDKR, but I think there are still plenty of people who haven't heard of it. Death of Superman is just hands down the most well known comic and I would say that makes it the most iconic.

Batman-Hush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Honestly, I feel the Dark Knight Returns was a rather underwhelming storyline. I don't understand the hype. Can someone explain the appeal to me?

TakeLuutzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TakeLuutzen

Honestly, I feel the Dark Knight Returns was a rather underwhelming storyline. I don't understand the hype. Can someone explain the appeal to me?

People hang on to the fact that this book (and Watchmen) changed how comics were written.. Thats all.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..Interesting, I agree Death of Superman and Watchmen are right up there as is Year One, but Batman TDKR consistently features in the top 10 graphic novel lists that people publish and obviously it was quoted at the announcement of the new Batman v Superman film last July....I think it probably shares equal bill with Watchmen. Death of Superman was a landmark story at the time, but I am not so such its appeal is so enduring. TDKR is coming up to 30 years old and still seems a big deal with the Batman and comic world universe.....I need to get Watchmen actually, I already have All Star Superman, Death of Superman, Year one, Kravens Last Hunt and TDKR, so I have a good number of the big ones....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.