Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Is Nolan's Batman overrated?

• 61 results
    ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Nolan's Batman overrated? (97 votes)

Yes! 37%
    Somewhat 25%
    Not at all 38%

^

• 
    rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51 rogueshadow  Moderator
    flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, batman is overrated in general

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No it's not

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone thinks he is dumb, slow and can't fight yet people still think he's overrated?

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Everyone thinks he is dumb, slow and can't fight yet people still think he's overrated?

Haters Gonna Hate!!!
    Haters Gonna Hate!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somewhat. I think both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight deserve all the praise they receive. The Dark Knight Rises is a mixed bag for me.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#57 frozen  Moderator

Somewhat. I think both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight deserve all the praise they receive. The Dark Knight Rises is a mixed bag for me.

I've held that the last two are much better pieces of cinema, IMHO. The first is good but it's not as authentic.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: To each his own. Usually people either prefer the first two or last two, I'm clearly the former. I really dislike how some characters were portrayed and I thought the conflict was too grand for Batman to handle on his own, especially Nolan's "realistic" Batman.

AssassinB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattytravy:

Jeez, I know this thread is old. But, you are really good at standing your ground, despite fanboys attacking you and insulting you for no other reason than just not agreeing with them. People dosen't know objectivism this days. They inmidiatly feel offended and don't analyze opposing views. That's why we live in a world ravaged by war, racism, and never ending idiocy.

To respond to your view however, I don't think the movies are "overrated" in the sense they are underserving of praise, as you mention. They are "good" movies, but they are not without flaws. The last movie for example, is kind of "bad" compared to the first 2.

Though, I kind of agree that many charcaters in the Nolan wolrd aren't really faithfull to the "spirit" of the comics. Which is maybe, what makes many people "feel" that the movies aren't really good adaptations of said characters. But, if you think about it, adapting a comic that has being around for more than half a century isn't the same as a 200 page book of same age. You have lots and lots of sources, each writing Bruce Wayne by different perspectives, by many different writers. So, is really hard to find a "defenitive" version on the character.

So each person today, may have their own "head canon" of what the character is going to behave like. So obviosly, your own prefered characterization may not appeal to someone else's. I personally love the detective Batman, more brains that brawl, and my brother prefers Adam West silly campiness with Cesar Romero's Joker; so you can imagine he hated Heath Ledger's Joker and any Batman that is extremely violent, so that's not for him. Same with any fan. There are those who prefer Frank Miller's Batman, others hate that Batman, others prefer Grant Morrison's, and others Scott Snyder's, and so forth.

I think the Nolan films are that, a Nolan version of Batman. He tried to make those films "realistic". For me, and many people I know, thats silly. For others thats totally "cool".

But today, perhaps with the wave of so many Marvel films, people have now a different view of what a super-hero movie should be about. Specially this days that many milenials are becoming parents, they are going to want to go to the movie theaters with their kids. So, the Nolan fomula is no longer a "fashion" anymore. Angry, brooding, violent Batman only appeals to young, or old men. But if you want to make millions, your target audience are whole familes with children.

Is a lighter Batman a good adaptation for said character? You are going to have the same childish arguments; like with the Nolan films. Some people think Nolan's version is the ultimate verison or something, while others disagree. Same is going to happen with any newer version of Batman, brooding or not brooding, violent or not violent, brainy or not. This arguments are as surperflous as aking someone if chocolate cake is the best cake over 10000000 others. There is no point to it.

Different people, different tastes.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 modernww2fare  Online

Back then yeah, but now? hell no

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

Creazion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is underrated if anything.

Midline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As if.

Batman Begins- The greatest Superhero Origin Film made to date, Batman Begins did an incredible job of establishing it's universe and more importantly it's characters. It is a sequence of epic acts brought together by the film's villain - Ra's al Ghul, brought to us by Liam Neeson in a respectable performance.

TDK- The Dark Knight is a exhilarating crime-thriller that's cemented itself as one of the best films ever made. From it's Oscar-worthy performances to the carefully crafted plot, this film is a superhero experience like no other.

TKDR- The end to the greatest superhero trilogy ever made. This film was a great conclusion to the trilogy, providing satisfying conclusions to all character arcs. My main complaint about this film is the inclusion of Talia al Ghul, who I did not feel was necessary and was only detrimental to Bane's character, who otherwise would have cemented himself as one of the best CBM villains.

Battinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More like underrated.

Battinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those plastic suits are just... Eww.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.