Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23505 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Is Kingdom Come Canon for the DCU? Is it the Future?

EmperorJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EmperorJosh

Is Kingdom Come the true future of the DCU or is it just an alternate story for a could- be future?

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By TheCrowbar

Alternate story.

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By r3d_rob1n

It's on a different Earth. I think that Brightest Day tackled this subject by having one of the tasks stop it from happening on main Earth.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By the_tree

@r3d_rob1n said:

It's on a different Earth. I think that Brightest Day tackled this subject by having one of the tasks stop it from happening on main Earth.

Yup. It's on a different earth, but it was also a possible future for the main earth. The scenario was stopped by Max Lord killing Magog, as seen in the pages of Justice League: Generation Lost.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Crash_Recovery

There is no "official" cannon future with the possible exception of the Legion of Super Heroes.

This is intentional.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Durakken

... The answer is actually "sorta"

It was always an elseworlds tale. A one off tale. The thing is that a lot of people like the book, especially the people who write the comics and edit them and so, for a while, Kingdom Come wasn't the "official" future but it was the the unofficial official future that writers and editors pushed the DCU towards.

At some point however they stopped and a few years ago a variation of the Beyond titles became the semi-official future of the DCU.

Now that flashpoint has happened you might as well call a pancake the future of the DCU...

There are also various other "futures" that existed as the main one that were considered for a while, grafted on, or shunted off, like Komandi at World's End which was the an elseworlds tale that became the official future which then got shunted off.

There is also the Legion of Superheroes which was the future of the DCU, but pretty much how that worked is basically through Komandi where some point in the future the world suffers some terrible stuff, but then reunifies.

One might think that Legion of SH is now the future of DCU... which it is sorta...Flashpoint changed the universe, but only to a certain point in time where in there is a weird temporal barrier so that the events of the comics of DCnU are completely wiped out and the official future is actually the future of the modern age pre-flashpoint DCU...but generally what you're talking about is the relatively near future...in which case Flashpoint writers can't even get the past right...what makes you think they are going to be able to make a future?

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By serpent222

To be specific, according to the DC Encyclopedia, it takes place on Earth 22.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8 frozen  Moderator

Bump.

I know it's alternate, but it would be a great future for the DCnU.

W3BST3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By W3BST3R

Don't get me wrong, I love KC. I even own it. I just wouldn't want it to be the official future for our heroes, they're better than that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No it is not the future.

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I love Elseworlds stories. My fave must be the Nail.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

No it is not the future.

@w3bst3r said:

Don't get me wrong, I love KC. I even own it. I just wouldn't want it to be the official future for our heroes, they're better than that.

Battinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not only is it from the future, but a completely different earth.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.