Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Is it worth reading?

KubsOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KubsOne

Hello,

I have little doubts about Batman Family quality in New 52. So I need your advice in one thing. Basically I know that whole ,,Batman" series is good and, of course improtant for Batman story in New 52, but what about other members of Batman Family? I have read few issues of other series (those in crossovers), but I'm at Forever Evil and I don't know if I should read whole Nightwing series to understand anything better. I know that ,,Dark Knight" is complete crap, and heard that Red Hood is even worse, but what about Eternal or Detective Comics? Most important for me is if series, have any impact on history. If not, I will probably read it but somewhere in future. So for example, I don't know if Eternal is important. I'm a little bit lost in what's happening in New 52 now, I had some break and now I need to catch all things again. I read some interviews with Snyder, and I don't get the connection between Eternal and Zero Year, something that will shock readers. Maybe I understood something wrong, but if anyone can clear this up for me, I would be glad. So:

-Which Batman series are good

-Which series are important for history

-When I should read Batman Eternal (after Zero Yeat, during, before?)

Thanks

HighlyEvolved

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read it after Zero Year, and BTW Red Hood is actually starting to get better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman, batman and robin, and detective comics are good.

Read batman eternal whenever, but it takes place after zero year.

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as Batman books go I'd recommend Detective comics by Layman. They're not as epic or expansive as Snyder's Batman but they are fun, self-contained stories in the vein of a more mature BTAS. Detective Comics by Manapul and Buccelato from what I've heard is really good and closely follows Batman's detective roots and street-level crime.

Definitely get the Batman and Robin Series by Tomasi!

I can't really say about Batman eternal. Since it's a weekly series and spans multiple issues I would recommend waiting for the trades to get the whole story. Eternal is supposed to break the status quo of the Batman mythos but we'll see I guess. Zero year is basically a new, modified origin for Batman so you should definitely read that before Eternal and I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's a fun, bombastic take on the character's beginnings.

As for bat-family books I heard that Nightwing was pretty good and I am planning to get the trades. I've read some pretty good reviews of Gail Simone's Batgirl. Red Hood, and Red Robin in the Teen Titans is not really that good.

As for Catwoman.... ugh, I don't like to say anything negative about anyone but it is terribly written and the character doesn't even feel like Selina. Nocenti simply does not get the character.... stay away from it.

I hope that helps!

KubsOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KubsOne

Thank you all, that helped me really much. I think I will read whole Batman series once again to the Requiem point, then Batman Inc. And after that I will read rest of Batman series to the current point, then Eternal, Detective Comics and finally rest of family in random order. Thank you again.

tec79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tec79

Should read new 52

Batman

Detective Comics (issue 13-current)

Batman Eternal (Has been very fun and likely better than something else already on your pull list.)

Batman and Robin

Any of the family titles depend on how much you like the paticular character, Seelys' Nightwing was decent and the first issue of Grayson was solid.

Eternal can be read at anytime, in a published interview Snyder said issue 34 on will be post Eternal and the weekly would tell the back story of events leading to the new staus quo. The interview was on Newsarama posted in two parts.

Some history on current events in Batman and Robin can be found in Batman/Superman 1-4 which was a very good story in its own right and the highlight of that titles run thus far.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.