Is it just me or is Detective Comics really letting us down?

#1 Posted by n8hobbs (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Mind you I haven't read many comics until around mid-last year, I knew all the characters and back stories very well. I'm just annoyed that Detective comics doesn't have no where near the same level of story as much of the new 52 DC has released.

I wanted to ask you though, is it just me? Or has it been not so good?

***Spoiler Alert***

I mean it started off strong, Joker getting his face cut off, but I feel like it hasn't really developed that story fully and now it's switched gears and we're facing Penguin, I know they'll probably connect them but I wish it would of stuck to one long thorough story then jumping from place to place.

Thank goodness we got Batman, which has turned out to be amazing in my opinion. Plus if you haven't done so, read Nightwing, it's not as powerful as Batman but it's a pretty good read.

#2 Posted by scottyhanstein (29 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree. It's a weak book, especially when compared to some of the other Bat titles (hey, it's better than Dark Knight). Most books can't measure up to Snyder's Batman though, that's just not fair, haha. I was hoping it would be better, I've always liked Detective Comics, especially Snyder's run. It also felt more campy than I expected, which I thought was Dark Knight's schtick. Disappointing but at least there's Batman, Batman and Robin, and Nightwing!

#3 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (10909 posts) - - Show Bio

I dropped Detective Comics after the third issue. The whole face cutting guy just seemed stupid and the Penguin story line doesn't seem too thrilling. If I start to see better reviews by the users, I might pick it back up, but for now I'm content with Snyder's Batman book because it's absolutely amazing.

#4 Posted by Billy Batson (57705 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not reading but its best reception is "decent" but I'll doubt that it will the same quality for long. They'll just get a new creative team.
BB

#5 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

It's decent at best, but it's severely lacking when compared to Batman written by Snyder.

#6 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not reading it, and I don't plan on doing it anytime. The only Batman titles I'm reading is Batman and Batman & Robin, those two are way better by comparison, imo. Like BB said, Detective will probably just get a new creative team and then it'll be worthwhile to read, although from what I've heard, it's WAY better than The Dark Knight (the worst out of all the Batman titles)...

#7 Posted by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@n8hobbs: Ive read 1-6, and yes i was very dissapointed.. the story is all over the place, Batman seems out of character and they are way too short especially issue 5, wtf was that shit.

I was all like:

#8 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing I liked about is the art and the first issue

#9 Edited by RoboShark (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

When you think about how good it was last year this time, and how it started in the new 52. It's hard to see it fall to such a passable book.

#10 Posted by n8hobbs (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad to see that it isn't just me.. I've read issues 1-6, but I'm seriously thinking about dropping it. I'm already getting Batman, Batman and Robin, and those two are great, Batman is of course the best being that Snyder is doing some amazing stuff with it.

Like you said, it's hard to see it fall to a passable book..

Hopefully they announce a new team who'll put more effort into a solid story, instead of playing hopscotch with the story by hopping around from one place to another.

#11 Posted by Vance Astro (91066 posts) - - Show Bio

Detective Comics seems pointless really.

#12 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

Out of the Batfamily titles the only ones I'm sticking with are Batman, Batman and Robin, Batwing, and Red Hood and the Outlaws

#13 Posted by sj_esposito (457 posts) - - Show Bio

Tony Salvatore Daniel. Ugh.

#14 Posted by The_Tree (7063 posts) - - Show Bio

It's bad, but not as bad as The Dark Knight. When will DC realize that Tony Daniel can't write?

#15 Posted by The Stegman (22735 posts) - - Show Bio

It's in the middle for me, not as good as "Batman" nor not as horrible as "The Dark Knight" it's decent at best

#16 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

The name of the comic is awfully misleading, from what I read it's wasn't really detective-y at all imo

#17 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

@Steps said:

Out of the Batfamily titles the only ones I'm sticking with are Batman, Batman and Robin, Batwing, and Red Hood and the Outlaws

Yeah that's my Bat-pull too, Dropped Detective after 2, Nightwing after 4, and everything else after 1

#18 Posted by papo (173 posts) - - Show Bio

I have batman and detective comics on my list but Im really considering drooping detective and maybe adding batman and robin. I think if all for of them the worst one is batman the dark knight and also I think there is too many batman stuff going around I feel is getting to the point where I have to buy everything to know what is going on also it seems batman is also going to cross over with I vampire and Justice League dark and for some one like me on a budget is just getting out of control Im fallowing 20 dc comics monthly but it still adds up and I have gotten every other issue where batman appears like batman and dove, I vampire 5 and 6, Batgirl and Batwing is to much I guess I should just stay with the court of owls also to my opinion is probably the best thing going on right now

#19 Posted by n8hobbs (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard Batman and Robin was the 2nd best behind Batman, so I looked into it and I must agree, it's behind Batman but ahead of Detective by miles. It deals more with the struggles between Bruce and Damian. Plus Damian has a few wise cracks, so it's sorta humorous. Check out the 1st issue and you might wanna get the rest to catch up like I did. I'm probably gonna end up dropping Detective after the Night of the Owls crossover. I see no point in me buying it anymore afterwards really.

#20 Posted by papo (173 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think detective comics will be part of the crossover because it is on a crossover with I vampire and I did got all new 52 and the first issue on batman and robin I felt there was no content then I read the second Issue and I liked it detective has been decreasing quality from 1 to 6 and I might get worst

#21 Posted by NeonBlade (172 posts) - - Show Bio

@n8hobbs said:

Thank goodness we got Batman, which has turned out to be amazing in my opinion. Plus if you haven't done so, read Nightwing, it's not as powerful as Batman but it's a pretty good rea

No. No we don't. I was immensely enjoying Batman ( The New 52 ) up until issue 5. As of finishing issue 6. I am done, and I am gone. I literally had to go to the front page to see if Loeb somehow snuck into this one. No overall arching plot, not well thought out plan, no cliffhanger leading to another issue where Batman would turn it around in intelligent, breath taking fashion. Just Batman digs deeps and pulls it off, because he is well...Batman. This may have worked when I was 12, maybe 13. I'm 30 now, and quite frankly. This is not justifiable on any scale. People should have been immediately fired or let go after that issue.

I will see how Blue Bettle ends up in the coming months, as usual, if the writing remains consistently poor, which has always been in DC. I can offically wipe my hands clean of this rancid, insipid company.

#22 Posted by Saren (25217 posts) - - Show Bio

@NeonBlade said:

@n8hobbs said:

Thank goodness we got Batman, which has turned out to be amazing in my opinion. Plus if you haven't done so, read Nightwing, it's not as powerful as Batman but it's a pretty good rea

No. No we don't. I was immensely enjoying Batman ( The New 52 ) up until issue 5. As of finishing issue 6. I am done, and I am gone. I literally had to go to the front page to see if Loeb somehow snuck into this one. No overall arching plot, not well thought out plan, no cliffhanger leading to another issue where Batman would turn it around in intelligent, breath taking fashion. Just Batman digs deeps and pulls it off, because he is well...Batman. This may have worked when I was 12, maybe 13. I'm 30 now, and quite frankly. This is not justifiable on any scale. People should have been immediately fired or let go after that issue.

I will see how Blue Bettle ends up in the coming months, as usual, if the writing remains consistently poor, which has always been in DC. I can offically wipe my hands clean of this rancid, insipid company.

You'll be sorely missed. Streets will be filled with tears of unfathomable sadness.

#23 Posted by n8hobbs (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@NeonBlade: I don't know if you meant it but you sounded a bit annoyed, I don't know why you would just attack a post. Just share your opinion in a lighter manner man. If you don't like the way DC is handling things then drop them. It really is as simple as that. But the topic of this post is about Detective Comics with Batman in it. Not the Batman comic, so take your rant elsewhere please.

I officially dropped Detective Comics. Didn't see buying anymore to be helpful to my wallet or my interest. I'll stick to Batman and Batman and Robin, those have been consistent in a good story that moves at a good pace. Anywho, I don't mean to hurt anybodies feelings by stating my opinion. Sorry if I said something wrong.

#24 Posted by super_psycho (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

It's in the middle for me, not as good as "Batman" nor not as horrible as "The Dark Knight" it's decent at best
#25 Posted by MuyJingo (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually I feel Batman is one of the weaker comics, ahead of TDK but before B&R. Probably around the same level as DC.

The art style I think is more childish than the material and I think that the character is being done a disservice by showing him in compromising situations without us seeing why he was unable to escape ending up in those situations. A minority opinion to be sure.

Now, I'm annoyed that DC has sidestepped the joker face story for the moment and kind of even mroe annoyed that Batman escaped simply because Waynetech made the technology...but I think it is leading up to something great.

The first issue has been only the issue thus far to really show Batman as a detective, for that it gets many bonus points.

I wouldn't dismiss it just yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.