Is he better (skill wise) in a team?

#1 Posted by Lasiurus (89 posts) - - Show Bio

I just had a little time to think today. I wondered, how can Batman be so well tough for lack of a better term, especially with his "prep time" when he so far can't beat a guy on steroids? Now I'm not dissing on him, Batman is my favorite hero. However pointing out that he's never as to my knolwedge beaten Bane on venom. Then something seemed to stick out to me. In Batman's solo series, he seems to get whipped a lot in his major storylines. Such as Knightfall, Court of Owls, Black Glove etc. The people who do the beat down's are very low on the super scale, often being only 2 to 3 tonners at best. I believe that perhaps when Batman is on his own, his writers want to show that he's still human. However when he's placed in a group with people like Superman, at that point it seems like the writers want to desperatley make sure that no one doubts he belongs with them, and so it seems like while "Solo" Batman has trouble with a punk on steroids, but when he's "Team Member" Batman he suddenly starts dropping people of Superman caliber seemingly without a whole lot of effort.

Thoughts? Differences in opinion?

#2 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lasiurus: When he is fighting someone on his own, their focus is entirely on Batman. This is clearly a disadvantage for a mere mortal such as Bruce, one who conforms to the shadows and uses surprise and technique over strength. When he is on a team, such as the Justice League, Superman and the other power hitters get the majority attention. This allows Batman to truly be in his element and plays to his strengths. Therefore you see a Batman that excels and does not run into the problems he is plagued with in his solo title

#3 Posted by Lasiurus (89 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n: That makes a good amount of sense to me. Thank you, I wasn't sure if I would get clear answer or not. I am still hopeful for him to defeat Bane on Venom one day, just because in a weird way, it's like I almost need it to happen. I just feel like Batman is superior to Bane, and I want it to be proven.

#4 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lasiurus: At least we have seen that Bruce wins when pitted against each other on a level playing field. He has also been shown to neutralize Bane in mass battle situations (such as Superman/Batman: Public Enemies) however, it is not quite the same.

#5 Posted by Lasiurus (89 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n: There is something I still get confused on. I wonder who it is that decides the strength scale. There are times when I do understand it. Such as Batman clearly has benched 1,000 lbs, there is a page of him doing that. Now without Venom, Bane is apparently a 900 lbs bench presser. However in comic, Bane is usually treated as being stronger even without venom due to his greater size. Still if the scale is right, then on a technicality Batman is indeed stronger.

#6 Posted by jrock85 (2882 posts) - - Show Bio

Not if Johns is writing the team book. >_>

#7 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lasiurus: There is evidence of Batman benching 1,000 lbs? I'm a Batfan, but come on, that is ridiculous. How can they claim him to be a man and then have him pull off a ludicrous feat such as that?

As for who decides strength levels, it really just depends on the writer and editorial staffs moods at the time. They usually have a clear idea of power ranking, but specific ton detail is pretty vague; usually listed in ranges that are baffling (5-10 tons difference)

#8 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

Ya it kinda is one of those minor inconsistent things that happen in comics just for the sake of plot. I just suggest ignoring it

#9 Posted by batshrine (1004 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as I know Marvel has actually made those ton rankings explicit, DC never has.

#10 Posted by entropy_aegis (15933 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lasiurus: Batman cannot beat Bane on venom using skill alone,he could do it with the help of gadgets though.@r3d_rob1n said:

@Lasiurus: At least we have seen that Bruce wins when pitted against each other on a level playing field. He has also been shown to neutralize Bane in mass battle situations (such as Superman/Batman: Public Enemies) however, it is not quite the same.

Only in the movie,still the comic was equally stupid.

#11 Posted by BatWatch (3833 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n said:

@Lasiurus: There is evidence of Batman benching 1,000 lbs? I'm a Batfan, but come on, that is ridiculous. How can they claim him to be a man and then have him pull off a ludicrous feat such as that?

As for who decides strength levels, it really just depends on the writer and editorial staffs moods at the time. They usually have a clear idea of power ranking, but specific ton detail is pretty vague; usually listed in ranges that are baffling (5-10 tons difference)

Interestingly enough, it is possible.

However, I would not want to see that guy in a Bat Suit.

Still, I concur with your sentiment that one thousand pounds is a bit much for Batman. After all, a guy with that much muscle can barely move. Perhaps about a five hundred pound press limit?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.