Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Is Final Crisis Needed for R.I.P?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By MakkyD

Will I need to read/buy Final Crisis along with Batman R.I.P? Or does the story arc stand on its own?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You need to either read final crisis or time and the batman. Time and the batman covers only Batman's part in final crisis, and final crisis is the whole story with everyone else too. If you only want Batman's part read time and the batman, and you will understand RIP. If you don't read either, you will be confused at the ending.

There are a bunch of other books that will help you understand RIP too, but they aren't necessary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And make sure you read it or time and the Batman after you read RIP. It takes place after.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jayc1324: Thanks, would Batman and Son and the Black Glove be the only things need for reading beforehand? (I presume you were talking about the Black Casebook at the end of your first post.)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: I was, and yeah those two would be all you need for background.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mysoulz

For me, Batman RIP wasn't really a hard story to understand without reading Final Crisis (I still don't see how Final Crisis can get you a better understanding for RIP). You only have to read Grant Morrison's previous issues, which leads to Bruce is trying to figure out who's linked to the Black Glove. There's also other short (or very short) brief references that gets mentioned, which relates to previous Batman stories.

As already mentioned, Batman and Son and Black Glove are the only stories you really need to have an understanding of what's going on in RIP.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysoulz: the ending of rip won't make sense without final crisis. You don't know what happened to batman otherwise, or understand the last two extra issues included at the end of batman rip

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mysoulz

@jayc1324 said:

@mysoulz: the ending of rip won't make sense without final crisis. You don't know what happened to batman otherwise, or understand the last two extra issues included at the end of batman rip

I was referring to the start of reading RIP when it begun for a good understanding, but that's my fault and I should have been clearer. Disregard my post about Final Crisis reading. You're right, the extra issues are important to read for the conclusion for RIP and fill in what's going on for Bruce in Final Crisis.

I should've read these stories in chronological order.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.