Is Detective Comics Vol.1 good?

#1 Posted by Augment (98 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw the hardcover of the New 52's Detective Comics run in my local store, and I wondering what people thought of it? I love all things Batman, but I prefer good writing. One of the reasons I haven't ever picked up Batman: The Dark Knight hah!

#2 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Two words: Scott Snyder. That's all the explanation you need if you are looking for good writing. So yes, Vol. 1 is GOOD.

#3 Posted by Augment (98 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedheadedAtrocitus: Oh yeah, I have ALL of the New 52's Batman title, as he's AMAZING. I just didn't know what I should do about the Detective Comics. I won't buy Batman and Robin because I can't stand Damien.
#4 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

@Augment: Completely agree! I can't speak completely to Detective Volume 1 so far but all I know is that the volume hasn't felt right with everyone complaining lack of Joker since his apparent tease on the cover of issue number one. But if you'r ea hardcore Bats fan I say go for it ^^

#5 Posted by RedRyan (123 posts) - - Show Bio

@Augment: The first issue of Detective was really strong but after that it just gets a bit mediocre, not really bad just average. Joker doesn't feature that heavily, his big return is coming in the next 2 months. Dark Knight is being written by Greg Hurwitz at the minute who is very good so I would definately pick up the last few issues.

#6 Posted by Batnandez (511 posts) - - Show Bio

It sucks.

#7 Posted by batshrine (969 posts) - - Show Bio

I say get it, and you make the call. I personally enjoyed it. It doesn't come blose to Snyder's tale, but I still found it enjoyable.

#8 Posted by uk2ga (6 posts) - - Show Bio

@Augment - based on what you said in your first post about the importance of story I would say that it is not a must buy but there are some neat 'end of issue' moments. However some of them go nowhere, and though the idea of the villain is interesting, the execution falls a little flat towards the end. On the whole I'd say it's worth a look but that it is not top-rate Batman IMO.

#9 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

Detective Comics sucks. The writer is all about gore rather than anything that should be in that comic.

Batman is good. Could be better, but it probably the best DCnU comic currently.

Batman and Robin and The Dark Knight both are just off in some way but they are ok...

#10 Posted by BlackPookie (624 posts) - - Show Bio

vol 1 is way better than vol 2...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.