Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Is Bruce Wayne's heritage English??

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FiguredOut95

The Wayne family goes back many generations, around 200 years ago many English moved to America to claim their own independence and start fresh, may of these people where very rich, could the Wayne's have orientated from England? Is their any evidence to prove where they came from? Just wondering :D

selinaky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By selinaky

Not sure. I'd be cool with that though (maybe because I'm English myself haha). 'Wayne' is originally an English name, but I don't think it was chosen in relation to his heritage.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FatihBATMAN

english yeah...or american...

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FiguredOut95

@Selinaky: Yeah I am English to and when I was re-reading the "Night of the Owls" story arc all Bruce talks about is his family heritage and how many generations the Wayne family goes back, but America is only 200 years old so if his family goes back even further he would have had to come from somewhere else, England seems logical especially with Alfred being English. Anyway thanks for your reply.

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FiguredOut95

Anyone else??

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By JakeN7

@FiguredOut95 said:

@Selinaky: Yeah I am English to and when I was re-reading the "Night of the Owls" story arc all Bruce talks about is his family heritage and how many generations the Wayne family goes back, but America is only 200 years old so if his family goes back even further he would have had to come from somewhere else, England seems logical especially with Alfred being English. Anyway thanks for your reply.

Well sure, America as an official country has only been around for 236 years. However, Europeans and Englishman have been in America for longer than that. The first English colony was in Jamestown in 1607 and Puritans (Pilgrims) had huge colonies all the way up until the revolution. It's entirely possible that Bruce's heritage is Colonial American or English. Also, remember generations can last as little as 20 years or so. The next generation of a family starts when the current one has had a child. Since it's physically possible for an 11 year old female to birth a child (I know disgusting), when Bruce says the Wayne family goes back countless generations or whatever...who knows how that translates into an actual chronological timeline.

I couldn't care less actually but according to Bill Finger, this is how it went down: "Bruce Wayne's first name came from Robert Bruce, the Scottish patriot. Bruce, being a playboy, was a man of gentry. I searched for a name that would suggest colonialism. I tried Adams, Hancock ... then I thought of Mad Anthony Wayne." Mad Anthony Wayne was indeed a Colonial American whose ethnicity was actually Irish because his father immigrated from Ireland.

So that brings up the question though, if the person who Bruce's family name is derived from is Irish...does that make Bruce and his family Irish? Or do we need an actual fictional origin for Gotham's Wayne family?

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By theTimeStreamer

hes from afganistan.

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FiguredOut95

@JakeN7: Thanks for this long, informative reply :D

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FiguredOut95

Anyone else??

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By batshrine

why does it matter? And reason why I ask is cause any of the Wayne legacy that has any importance is tied to Gotham. In fact anything important is tied more to Gotham than his actual heritage.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FatihBATMAN

pretty sure hes american though

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it was stated his ancestry is Scottish but I cannot recall the source, i am by no means a Batman expert so I very well may be in error.

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FiguredOut95

@batshrine: I am just trying to start an original idea, not just the regular "Batman VS ....." dribble we have seen 10000000 times before.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By batshrine

@FiguredOut95: amen dude. i respect that

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tupiaz

A little google searching gave me the answer that Batman origin is Scottish. It is touch upon a little in a few stories. Read more here: http://www.comicsreview.co.uk/nowreadthis/2008/02/20/batman-the-scottish-connection/

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FiguredOut95

@tupiaz: Sweet thanks.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By batshrine

I read that actually! and there is nothing that doesnt make it cannon, so its good!

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tupiaz

It should also be in the trade Batman: International http://www.comicvine.com/batman-international-batman-international/37-259321/

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By VampireSelektor

@FiguredOut95: According to the DC Encyclopedia of Batman, Bruce Wayne is half-French, half-English. Although to be honest, I haven't read that book in a while. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KnightRise

I always thought of him as Dutch...because all my white friends that aren't Italian, Irish, or German, are Dutch. If the last name isn't O'-, Mc', Von, Van, Schl_, -a, -i, or-o, they're Dutch

./flawless system

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tupiaz

Van is ´pretty normal for a Dutch. Some ensamples: http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_van_Bommel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_der_sar http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruud_van_Nistelrooy So I guess you thin the ending -sen is Dutch as well? That is Danish. According to this page: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Wayne Wayne is an old english name as has nothing to do with a dutch name. A system full of flaws.

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FiguredOut95

Anyone else?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.