Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23647 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Is Batman's deduction skills on par with Sherlock Holmes?

Avatar image for cannotspellmyname
    CannotSpellMyName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CannotSpellMyName

Just finished watching the TV miniseries "Sherlock" the other day (loved it), and it made me wonder - as Batman is often referred to as the world's greatest detective, does his intellect work in the same way as Sherlock Holmes or is he more dependent on his knowledge and technological data to gather information? Because I've never thought of Batman as the type of hero who can look at a dead body and know exactly what happened to the victim by observing the tiniest details, I've always thought of him more like the type of detective that uses great knowledge in many fields to solve puzzles and crimes. Or does Batman in fact possess that kind of observation skills? I'm not disputing Batman's intellect, because everyone knows Batman is a damn resourceful man, I just can't recall ever seeing him tell a person's life story just by looking at him/her or display such deduction skills as Sherlock Holmes uses (anyone who has seen the series or movies will know what I mean). Anyone got scans or examples of Batman displaying such deduction skills? I certainly wouldn't mind if Batman does have such skills, it would only make him even more awesome :-)

Daaerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Daaerk

I would say Batman has better if not on-par deduction skills as Sherlock Holmes. After all he is a bas@$$ strategist and rules at Chess. He is a preparation master when fighting against his enemies. I do not think he is the observational type though, when I read his comics he picks up on specific details yes but it takes a while for him to find it out, at times he needs an autopsy to lead him part of the way, though he eventually solves all of his mysteries. So no, he can’t presume the details of a crime by sight, he is no Sherlock.

Post Script: I hate the mini-series; I can’t understand a single word Sherlock says. Though I love the movie Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, Robert Downey Junior for the win! :D

~ Daaerk

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By ccraft

Batman is so good, when Batman enters a crime scene, he already knows what clues he'll find.

Avatar image for captain_yesterday
    Captain_Yesterday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Captain_Yesterday

I'd say Sherlock.

A lot of Batman's Detective work comes with the help of a bunch of high tech gadgetry, Sherlock using more simple observation.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Veshark

The Sherlock miniseries is fantastic. Yeah, you need subtitles to understand the thick accents of Holmes' rambling deductions, but it's a very well-scripted, directed, and acted show.

But yeah, your observation is more-or-less spot-on. While Holmes' detective works is based more on observational deduction, Batman uses a more hands-on approach of gadgetry and beating up/interrogating criminals. I guess that's more attributed to their different skill sets and personas - Holmes is a human private eye, while Batman is a superhero.

On a related note, the Holmes/Batman crossover in Brave and the Bold was hilarious. They're investigating a murder where the killer left behind the note: "The granite demon crumbles in your city's bloody frame. When ten o-clock strikes, I'll never sleep again."

Sherlock thinks it's a reference to gargoyles at a chapel, before Batman replies "Actually, 'granite demon' is an anagram for Demon Etrigan, Jason Blood's his alter ego, and bloody frame refers to framing Blood. And ten-o-clock indicates the number of victims." Bat-Troll lol.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By gotwillpower

@Captain_Yesterday said:

I'd say Sherlock.

A lot of Batman's Detective work comes with the help of a bunch of high tech gadgetry, Sherlock using more simple observation.

I agree, based on what we've seen in comics. I mean, if a writer was a smart as Batman, he might be able to showcase Bats' true detective skills. However, I don't think anyone can be equal to Batman intellectually, and thus Holmes' detective feats are better written (I guess Doyle is nearly as smart as Batman?). Holmes's deductions are just more interesting to be heard explained.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@Captain_Yesterday: Both of them use the "art of deduction". By the way, when Kane created the Batman, he used elements from the fictitious persona of Sherlock Holmes. Now, who's the best?

You'll find the answer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17CLlZuiBkQ&list=SP59A6BAB16A05B4AA&index=11

Avatar image for captain_yesterday
    Captain_Yesterday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Captain_Yesterday

@gotwillpower said:

@Captain_Yesterday said:

I'd say Sherlock.

I agree, based on what we've seen in comics. I mean, if a writer was a smart as Batman, he might be able to showcase Bats' true detective skills. However, I don't think anyone can be equal to Batman intellectually, and thus Holmes' detective feats are better written (I guess Doyle is nearly as smart as Batman?). Holmes's deductions are just more interesting to be heard explained.

So wait, let me see if I get this, you're saying Sherlock was better written by a better writer to appear to be more intelligent and yet Batman is still smarter... just because???? Even more so than Doyle... Sigh... The Batman logic on these forums sometimes...

UncleEmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By UncleEmu

Knowledge - Batman definitely has more knowledge and the resources to find out more things than Sherlock

Observation - Sherlock has Batman beat, even though Batman is pretty good at deducing things

Objectivity - Sherlock wins by a lot because he really doesn't care about anyone around him.

Thinking quickly - Batman hands down as he is constantly engaged in combat and situations where he needs to do exactly the right thing or improvise perfectly for his plan to work

Considering every option - it's even, Sherlock thinks of everything, Batman plans for everything

Open mind/thinking outside of the box - Batman understands emotions better, he even did the isolation chamber to understand how the Joker thinks, so he wins

Deduction - Sherlock seems to just be better

I would say Sherlock is the better detective (barely), except for one thing - his arrogance. It really takes away from things, and sometimes gets him into stupid situations. Because of that, the Dark Knight barely pulls ahead.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gotwillpower

@Captain_Yesterday said:

@gotwillpower said:

@Captain_Yesterday said:

I'd say Sherlock.

So wait, let me see if I get this, you're saying Sherlock was better written by a better writer to appear to be more intelligent and yet Batman is still smarter... just because???? Even more so than Doyle... Sigh... The Batman logic on these forums sometimes...

Lol my comment's a little bit misleading. When I said, "I don't think anyone can be equal to Batman intellectually," I meant, "I don't think any comic writers can be equal to Batman intellectually," as well as, "I don't think any Batman comic writers can compare to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's detective writing." The first, because no comic writer has learned everything that Batman has (because it's pretty much impossible) ad so they can't perfectly imagine what his deduction process is like, and the second because books have a lot more room for detail than comics.

jayskee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By jayskee

Holmes>> Batman in everything but h2h and knowledge

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Definintely not.

rolldestroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes and it's greater.

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Holmes is a better detective.

Batman is a way better fighter and scientist.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By TDK_1997

His detective skills are on par and maybe even better than Sherlock Homes'.

Ghost_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ghost_Knight

Bruce is definitely superior even without all the high tech from what I've seen of his deductive feats. But I could see Bruce acknowledging Holmes as his better in this area if they were both lived in the same universe & era.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce is definitely superior even without all the high tech from what I've seen of his deductive feats. But I could see Bruce acknowledging Holmes as his better in this area if they were both lived in the same universe & era.

Not definitely. He might be superior in knowledge, but I think he is only equal Holmes in pure deductive skills. If you read any Holmes stories, and then you read something like The Long Halloween, you realize Holmes is uniquely brilliant.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By End_Boss

I would say that, in their respective universes, they're about on par. Remove your sentimental attachment to the characters and really think about it. Sherlock Holmes was the greatest detective of the past, Bruce Wayne is the greatest detective of the present.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MuyJingo

Part of how Sherlock was able to do what he did so well, was his crazy amount of knowledge. He was able to recognize different types of dirt from different parts of london, recognize different chemical substances, all back in the time when computers and technology were not able to do so.

Batman can do all of that and more...he has a greater amount of knowledge, and has a greater advantage (although not reliance on) due to technology. I've always considered Batman the modern successor to Sherlock.

Also, the BBC show is terrible. When they say things like "I could tell he was a software engineer by the type of tie he wore" it's pure fail.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holmes is a far more realistic character than Batman so while Holmes has limitations, Batman has none, so I'd say Batman's a better detective.

But Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a better writer than any comic book writer so Holmes deductions are far more interesting to read than Batman's.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By novi_homines
    RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RustyRoy
    novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By novi_homines

@rustyroy said:

@novi_homines said:

@consolemaster001 said:

Definintely not.

Wait, are you saying he's skills are better than Holmes or worse?

Definitely not on par with holmes. In terms of deduction.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By novi_homines

@rustyroy said:

@novi_homines: An why is that?

Holmes is unmatched in terms of deduction. Batman is a great detective, alot of which is supported by the technology and resources he has. Holmes on the other hand, has core deduction skills that allow him to be successful without any of these resources. This however, is my opinion. I grew up reading alot of holmes stories. The way he gets to conclusions are mind blowing. He simply can't be matched in that regard. Have you read some of his stories? You really should, they're fantastic.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Just finished watching the TV miniseries "Sherlock" the other day (loved it), and it made me wonder - as Batman is often referred to as the world's greatest detective, does his intellect work in the same way as Sherlock Holmes or is he more dependent on his knowledge and technological data to gather information? Because I've never thought of Batman as the type of hero who can look at a dead body and know exactly what happened to the victim by observing the tiniest details, I've always thought of him more like the type of detective that uses great knowledge in many fields to solve puzzles and crimes. Or does Batman in fact possess that kind of observation skills? I'm not disputing Batman's intellect, because everyone knows Batman is a damn resourceful man, I just can't recall ever seeing him tell a person's life story just by looking at him/her or display such deduction skills as Sherlock Holmes uses (anyone who has seen the series or movies will know what I mean). Anyone got scans or examples of Batman displaying such deduction skills? I certainly wouldn't mind if Batman does have such skills, it would only make him even more awesome :-)

those movies are incredible. I like RDJ better as Sherlock than as ironman

pretur22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MasterDetective

Batman and Sherlock do have brilliant minds, but I'd say Sherlock is the better detective. Batman sometimes relies on technology and Advanced sciences to cack a case, while Sherlock Holmes could mostly rely on observation and deduction since he lived duing the 19th/20th Centuy. Also,

In terms of knowledge though, both Batman and Sherlock have leart a lot of things, so it may be a draw

But to answer your question, Batman did use the same kind of investigation as Sherlock in some comics

Stormyboltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Stormyboltz
    @novi_homines said:

@rustyroy said:

@novi_homines: An why is that?

Holmes is unmatched in terms of deduction. Batman is a great detective, alot of which is supported by the technology and resources he has. Holmes on the other hand, has core deduction skills that allow him to be successful without any of these resources. This however, is my opinion. I grew up reading alot of holmes stories. The way he gets to conclusions are mind blowing. He simply can't be matched in that regard. Have you read some of his stories? You really should, they're fantastic.

Batman uses tech and expertise because his caliber of detective work is higher than Holmes is. For example in a recent issue of Justice League he was able to deduce that Amazo was repairing himself with nanites by looking at him, even Superman was baffled how he knew that. If you threw Holmes in DCU he wouldn't be able to get by solely on his deductive ability.

I do believe that Doyle's Holmes from the novels and short stories has a slight edge in deductive work. You can even make the argument that Sherlock Holmes is a more effective detective for his time than Batman is in DC comparing ratios.

Batman and DC have pretty much admitted that Sherlock is the true king of the detectives. But in terms of who's the better detective, Batman's own comparable deductive ability in combination with his expertise in most area's of science makes him a formidable and effective detective overall, but Sherlock is still the king in deductive ability and reasoning.

In terms of deductive ability and reasoning skills. I rank them like this

Doyle Sherlock Holmes

Adrian Monk

Bruce Wayne

Batman and Sherlock do have brilliant minds, but I'd say Sherlock is the better detective. Batman sometimes relies on technology and Advanced sciences to cack a case, while Sherlock Holmes could mostly rely on observation and deduction since he lived duing the 19th/20th Centuy. Also,

In terms of knowledge though, both Batman and Sherlock have leart a lot of things, so it may be a draw

But to answer your question, Batman did use the same kind of investigation as Sherlock in some comics

Same as above, the caliber of work Bruce does ei Amazo's nanites are above Holmes payscale, I agree that Holmes has a more deductive, reasonable mind but Bruce would of solved most if not all of Holme's cases, if you threw Holmes in DCU Without any tech or expertise he'd be stumped on a majority of the cases Bruce works on.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Batman RIP…Batman was crazy in there Detective skills and prep.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are the same. Batman is better because he is more exaggerated..having more knowledge, several PhDs etc...

Avatar image for spidermonkey1209
    spidermonkey1209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

According to Jeph Loeb, not even close. With the right writer though, he is either equal with or just below Holme's league.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gracetrack

Bruce is certainly just as intelligent as Sherlock, if not more so. And I always imagine that Bruce is a lot like Sherlock (from the BBC miniseries) in that he remembers everything in his "mind palace" (bat palace?) and can recall it at a whim.

As far as who is better at pure deduction? I'd say the two are practically equal. Too close to call. Bruce certainly has some epic feats showcasing his deductive ability, and he is (for all intents and purposes) a modern day Holmes. And I just don't know that one of these guys uses it more than the other, so I can't say who is more experienced.

Vizier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I would say that they are both good but I'll always think of Sherlock Holmes as the greatest detective.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Batman figures out the workings of alternate realities and other such crazy feats of detective work, so his feats are a lot more varied.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.