Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Is Batman worthy of lifting Thor's Hammer?

• 97 results
    Munsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Munsu

@rustyroy said:

This isn't called obsession, its called sacrifice, he is willing to put he's happyness behind for the sake of helping people, you said it yourself, the mission is more important to him than anything and the mission is helping others. He was given a chance to be with his parents but he rejected the offer, that's called sacrifice not obsession. Dick would've gone after Zucco to kill him, many stories show that, Bruce saved him from that, and if he wasn't a murderer then he would've been a talon. And Dick would've been in circus if he wasn't with Bruce so no he wouldn't have been a hero, and Bruce doesn't like to help people? That's the biggest bs I've heard anyone say. You are the one who doesn't understand Batman, getting over something is something different, a person who can't get over something can also help others, everyone has something feel bad for, that doesn't stop them from helping others, if Bruce's parents weren't dead then he wouldn't have stopped helping others.

I like how I never said Batman doesn't like helping people, but apparently you think I did. Only that it isn't his main motivating factor. Okay, I'll try and explain it one more time so you can try and understand it and then I am finished.

Fighting crime is an obsession for Bruce. Make a thread and ask and I am sure most posters will agree that it is. It goes beyond just wanting to help people for him. He is the guy that secretly plans the downfall of his close friends and teammates "just in case". This isn't something Superman does or "normal" heroes do. He isn't some perfect noble hero but an obsessed, neurotic vigilante that will go to whatever lengths to make sure his Justice is carried out. Bruce can never stop being Batman. In Synder's story set 200 years in the future Bruce clones himself over and over again to continue to be Batman forever because he can't let go of being a hero. If Clark lost his powers I think he would be fine with being "normal" and just being a journalist, but Bruce couldn't just be Bruce Wayne. Like in the DCAU when he couldn't be Batman anymore he basically died inside and shut himself in his mansion for years.

The reason I said that Dick could have been a hero regardless if his parents died is that isn't the reason why he continues to be a hero. It doesn't matter to him if they died or not. If another opportunity to be a hero came up for him and his parents were still alive he would have been the same type of hero he would have been if they had died. Them dying is what lead him to Bruce and he helped him hone his abilities and train him. Like in the AU Flashpoint story he was still at the circus, but he became the new Doctor Fate when he needed to be and became a hero that way without Bruce. When Bruce's parents died he forever changed (some say when that happened Bruce Wayne actually died and Batman was born), but with Dick he is still the same as before his parents died. The New 52 Talon stuff is a newly added story and Dick would have become a Talon against his will once the toxins in his tooth activated. So that isn't really part of his personality or the type of person or hero he is and became.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why people always act like being worthy of lifting Mjolnir makes you one of the greatest characters in existence or whatever.

If one of the requirements for being worthy was having herpes would you try to argue that Batman has herpes as well?

The requirements aren't totally clear and some are open to interpretation, like the whole "heart of a warrior" thing.

Can I picture Batman lifting the hammer? No, that's not his type of character. Does it make him any less willful, courageous, selfless, or badass? Nope.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@munsu said:

I like how I never said Batman doesn't like helping people, but apparently you think I did. Only that it isn't his main motivating factor. Okay, I'll try and explain it one more time so you can try and understand it and then I am finished.

Fighting crime is an obsession for Bruce. Make a thread and ask and I am sure most posters will agree that it is. It goes beyond just wanting to help people for him. He is the guy that secretly plans the downfall of his close friends and teammates "just in case". This isn't something Superman does or "normal" heroes do. He isn't some perfect noble hero but an obsessed, neurotic vigilante that will go to whatever lengths to make sure his Justice is carried out. Bruce can never stop being Batman. In Synder's story set 200 years in the future Bruce clones himself over and over again to continue to be Batman forever because he can't let go of being a hero. If Clark lost his powers I think he would be fine with being "normal" and just being a journalist, but Bruce couldn't just be Bruce Wayne. Like in the DCAU when he couldn't be Batman anymore he basically died inside and shut himself in his mansion for years.

The reason I said that Dick could have been a hero regardless if his parents died is that isn't the reason why he continues to be a hero. It doesn't matter to him if they died or not. If another opportunity to be a hero came up for him and his parents were still alive he would have been the same type of hero he would have been if they had died. Them dying is what lead him to Bruce and he helped him hone his abilities and train him. Like in the AU Flashpoint story he was still at the circus, but he became the new Doctor Fate when he needed to be and became a hero that way without Bruce. When Bruce's parents died he forever changed (some say when that happened Bruce Wayne actually died and Batman was born), but with Dick he is still the same as before his parents died. The New 52 Talon stuff is a newly added story and Dick would have become a Talon against his will once the toxins in his tooth activated. So that isn't really part of his personality or the type of person or hero he is and became.

No you said Batman helps people because of selfish reason which isn't true.

He made those plans because he is smart, when you have people who can do pretty much anything you have to take precautions. Yes he isn't a noble hero, he doesn't even try to be hero, he just wants to help people, he knows that the world isn't just black and white and a noble hero can't stop every type of crime, in the first Batman/Superman issue Clark helps a kid from getting beaten while Bruce just sits, the kid shows Clark the middle finger instead of thanking him cause he knows tomorrow the kids will beat him harder and Clark won'be there to save him, Bruce teaches the kid to defend himself. In Snyder's story he isn't actually a clone, instead he is brought from a time when he is just about to become Batman, when he gets the chance he tries to leave that place back to his own home but he stays when he sees that he is needed. In the same issue Dick is sentenced to death for the murder of Zucco. In TDKR he stops being Batman and starts a life with Selina, in the old Earth 2 I think he stops being Batman after he marries Selina so if not needed he will stop being Batman.

If an opportunity came for Bruce to help others regardless of his parent are alive or not, its shown in Detective Comics #27, he is even willing to sacrifice being with his parents for that, if he was trying to fill the void then he could've easily chose to be with them instead of going back to his own timeline, if he's motivation was selfish then he would've just stayed with them.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why people always act like being worthy of lifting Mjolnir makes you one of the greatest characters in existence or whatever.

If one of the requirements for being worthy was having herpes would you try to argue that Batman has herpes as well?

QFT

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto said:

@smashbrawler said:

The requirements aren't totally clear and some are open to interpretation, like the whole "heart of a warrior" thing.

Can I picture Batman lifting the hammer? No, that's not his type of character. Does it make him any less willful, courageous, selfless, or badass? Nope.

Well, that's exactly what I'm going for. Some people will go to ridiculous extremes to prove their favorite character is worthy of lifting Mjolnir, as if being able to do so is proof that they're among the best characters ever created.

Munsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Munsu

@rustyroy said:

No, I said his main motivation is to fill an obsessive need left from the death of his parents. That leads him to want to be a hero to help people, but it all stems from him needing to try and fill that void left from their death. He isn't able to move on from their death. It's a weight he can't get rid of and constantly east away at him forcing him to drive away people he loves. It's sort of his addiction. How is that not obsessive?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@munsu said:

@rustyroy said:

No, I said his main motivation is to fill an obsessive need left from the death of his parents. That leads him to want to be a hero to help people, but it all stems from him needing to try and fill that void left from their death. He isn't able to move on from their death. It's a weight he can't get rid of and constantly east away at him forcing him to drive away people he loves. It's sort of his addiction. How is that not obsessive?

You said Bruce doesn't fight crime because he wants to help people but instead to fill a void that can only he can't fill, that sounds pretty selfish to me, in another comment you said it yourself that he does it out of 'a selfish desire to fill a void a void left inside him'. If he wanted to fill that void then when he had the chance to be with parents he would'v taken it. And he doesn't always drives everyone away, it depends on the writer, sometimes he drives them away, sometimes they leave on their own and sometimes they are perfectly happy together, it really depends on who's writing them, unlike other characters Bruce's characterization changes from writer to writer.

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
    deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The real question is if Thor's Hammer is worthy of being lifted by Batman...

Pure truth.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Batman should be able to lift it. Superman shouldn't either. Wonder Woman should be able to though.

EricWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

inscription"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor". So tell me where a warriors heart or any of the other crap thrown at the wall sticks? Seems to me that all of the things that Thor has done ie surter or celestials have been equally shown by a man that wants and sacrifices to prevent his loss from befalling someone else.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It doesn't seem like he would.

Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If is Hulk wort to to that .... why then Batman cant do that ?

MUFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mjolnir isn't worthy to be lifted by batman, brah.

the man said it. :P

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#65  Edited By Claymore1998

I think a better question would be is the hammer worthy of the god of bats ^_^

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like if Batman would even need Mjolnir in the first place.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

if batboy ever ever lifted mjolnir then Robin, Puck and the Ice cream man should too.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No Caption Provided

and bump

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

I don't think he fits the criteria for being worthy as defined by Mjolnir/Odin.

Korbenheagerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought that people who wielded mjolnir were "champions of their people" i.e. Thor is a prince of Asgard, Captain America is the American hero, Beta Ray Bill is the champion of his people (don't know their names) so my perception was that it would be motivation that makes the wielder, and we all know that when it comes to motivation and will, batman has pretty much everyone else blown out of the water

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Do we even know what it means to be worthy anymore?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's not willing to kill so probably not.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: Storm had her own hammer, enchanted by Loki, and only restored her own power. She didn't have Mjolnir. (Unless I missed something later)

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By MuyJingo

So many people keep redefining 'warrior' to mean something other than what it means.

Despite some peoples misconceptions who seem unfamiliar with the character, Batman is selfless. Is he obsessed, sure. Despite that, he is still a selfless hero who puts others first and makes huge sacrifices to serve people.

Ain't no Question Batman is a warrior. Don't be fooled by the more popular warrior type characters into thinking that's what a warrior has to be.

Avatar image for jedimasterspidey
    JediMasterspidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worthy of some random thing that dont matter at all.

Again, people has a horrible image of who Batman is, based on a concept that sounds cool but makes no sense if you have being reading Batman for more that 5 minutes and you pay attention, heck even if you watch the movies and pay attention.

Batman isn t a selfish pr1kc that has more mental problems that Green Arrow or the Captain America.

I dont think he will be worthy, he its too smart and too human(cool) for this dumb hammer.

Using MCHammer pants its a more worthy feat that using Thor Hammer.

Loading Video...

U cant touch Batman!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d30ff90eed8f
    deactivated-5d30ff90eed8f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I think people just hate the idea of Batman being able to pick up Thor's hammer. In the comics Odin says that in order to lift the hammer, one needs to have a warriors heart. The Webster definition of the word warrior is: "a person engaged or experienced in warfare". Not only is a Batman a selfless a well as incorruptible hero, he also fits the definition of the word.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No he can't to be able to lift the hammer you have to have a warriors spirit which in Asgard most likely includes killing people as they value soldiers.

DrArcania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By DrArcania
    No Caption Provided

Funny picture... But i more see it like:

Batman IS warrior in his heart, he can kill - he have will for that !!! But he doesn't kill bcs of his own ideas and his purpose...

If Mjolnir can read human soul - he will choice Batman, more than Thor !!!

But whats most fun about this all is...

Batman don't need Mjolnir !!!

Or even Mjolnir more need Batman than Thor !!!

AssassinB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another tread asking about Batman's manliness. And people falling for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf
    deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anyone who lets joker live is not worthy

santinia1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The real question is if Thor's Hammer is worthy of being lifted by Batman...

LOL yes

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone who lets Joker live is not worthy.

deathstroke512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Mister_Surreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Batman gets the spine to kill when need be, then yes.

Cognitive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf392a6a3b92
    deactivated-5bf392a6a3b92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

No way is Batman worthy to lift Mjolnir! How would someone who is widely known for cheating to win be considered worthy by Odin?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0937ce9ad57
    deactivated-5c0937ce9ad57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No, unless the incompetent boob that is Jason Aaron is writing the story.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deactivated-5bf392a6a3b92: The funny thing is that Odin in the real mythology is one of the most immoral Gods ever invented by a culture, a God who liked seen brothers kill each others, a God who don't like to respect deals.

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
    deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t think he can.

DrArcania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More than Steve Rogers !

When i again saw my old post. I must say that i still have a same opinion... after this year and 6 more months !

No Caption Provided

Funny picture... But i more see it like:

Batman IS warrior in his heart, he can kill - he have will for that !!! But he doesn't kill bcs of his own ideas and his purpose...

If Mjolnir can read human soul - he will choice Batman, more than Thor !!!

But whats most fun about this all is...

Batman don't need Mjolnir !!!

Or even Mjolnir more need Batman than Thor !!!

iamacomicbook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: Still Cap kills people, you need to be willing to kill in order for it to be a requirement, Batman has a strict rule of not killing

GMOBN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: in the marvel/dc crossover superman picks up mjolnir and is able to use its power

Rockette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: Still Cap kills people, you need to be willing to kill in order for it to be a requirement, Batman has a strict rule of not killing

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
    ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no killing so nah.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.