Is Batman from Crisis on two worlds a murderer?

#1 Posted by MuyJingo (1929 posts) - - Show Bio

I did not read the comic the animated film was based on, so I am just going by the film.

Upon rewatching, it occurred to me that his locking Owlman to the IED was essentially murder, and out of character for batman...

Did he do the same thing in the comics? Did anyone mention it?

#2 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@MuyJingo: I don't remember the comics well enough to answer. However, if I'm not mistaken, Batman does leave Owlman enough time to cancel the detonation...I think.

#3 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

@MuyJingo said:

Did he do the same thing in the comics? Did anyone mention it?

No, the comic book and animated film have a very different plot.

#4 Posted by JonSmith (4007 posts) - - Show Bio

As I recall, he tosses Owlman one of the Cross Dimensional transporters (or whatever they're called) before he leaves. If Owlman took it, he could easily teleport to another dimension, even home. Instead, he decides that it doesn't matter, and allows the bomb to go off standing next to it. Batman gave him a means to escape. Owlman refused it. Not Batman's fault if Owlman dies.

#5 Edited by Vortex13 (12265 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

As I recall, he tosses Owlman one of the Cross Dimensional transporters (or whatever they're called) before he leaves. If Owlman took it, he could easily teleport to another dimension, even home. Instead, he decides that it doesn't matter, and allows the bomb to go off standing next to it. Batman gave him a means to escape. Owlman refused it. Not Batman's fault if Owlman dies.

I felt the same way, he could have saved himself but instead he just say's "It doesn't matter" and he actually smiles kind of.

#6 Posted by MuyJingo (1929 posts) - - Show Bio

Ahh, was that in the movie, that he left him a way to escape?

I thought he could cancel the bomb, but not escape? If he couldnt escape, being stuck on the iceplanet is the same as death.

#7 Posted by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vortex13: which was quite freaking, what if bats had become THAT

#8 Posted by Vortex13 (12265 posts) - - Show Bio

@clemj said:

@Vortex13: which was quite freaking, what if bats had become THAT

That's why I like the line he gives to Owlman before he sends him to that ice planet, "You are right, we are similar. We've both looked into the abyss, the difference is that when the abyss looked back, you blinked." I love that line mainly because it demonstrates how Batman was able to look at it and not be frightened or be stripped of his self being.

#9 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1683 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Owlman could've saved himself but chose not to. That's not on Bruce.

It was a great movie and final fight by the way.

#10 Posted by Hashbrowns (68 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nathaniel_Christopher said:

Nope. Owlman could've saved himself but chose not to. That's not on Bruce.

It was a great movie and final fight by the way.

Yes indeed. I still think it's the best Direct-to-DVD effort from DC. Great pacing and some real meat to the story.

#11 Posted by MuyJingo (1929 posts) - - Show Bio

OK, thanks for the clarification :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.