Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Is an older Batman more brutal?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1 frozen  Moderator

Title says it all.

In The Dark Knight Returns, we see a 55 year old grizzled Batman cripple a man while boasting a rhetoric, giving a 'Clint Eastwood' vibe.

He fires rounds of rubber bullets into crowds of thugs. God knows what he does to the Mutant Leader...

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I think if he wears some kind of tech to greatly make up for his age, he wouldn't have been so brutal. Even in Batman Beyond Bruce was shown to threaten a criminal with a gun simply because his back ached or something like that.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think that he compensates not being at his peak with being more brutal.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yea, I could see it.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@frozen: @transformers1024: @black_arrow: @mandarinestro: It's more to do with by the time Batman gets to that age all his friends and family who had kept him grounded over the years have either died or quite and left him to wallow in his own bitterness.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller
    RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the writer tbh, Azz's Batman was almost as brutal as Miller's even though he was young, while KC Batman wasn't nearly as brutal as TDKR Batman even though he was very old. Also Miller's ASBAR Batman was more brutal than his TDKR Batman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much what everyone else above said. Kinda iff topic but I've always liked the idea of the bat family leaving him in his old age. That just makes sense to me, batman shouldn't have a happy life, and it gets worse as he ages. In the end it should be just him and alfred.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#9 frozen  Moderator

Bump.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not necessarily, Tomasi and Waid's version weren't brutal. I'd like to see Morrison's old man Batman version though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.