Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Intro: Dissecting Batman R.I.P

• 56 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Now that Battle For the Cowl has ensued,...

No Caption Provided
    It seems that the question of whatever happened to Bruce Wayne has become seemingly absent from the minds of comic book readers. However, might I simply say that now, more than ever, is the perfect time to read Batman R.I.P.

Over the course of the past two days I have to say I am quite tired. I never really imagined that  a comicbook would have the capability of driving a person mad, but it did just that (well, almost). After reading Batman R.I.P., reading the finale to Final Crisis and going back and searching for clues over the course of the last two days; I can safely say my brain is fried, my hair matted, and my eyes have deep set circles beneath them. (I know, lovely image.) And although I may not have the answers to all the questions that arose throughout my reading of what might be the last story of Bruce Wayne for a long time; I can safely say I have come up with about five different scenerios, and I still feel compelled to say it is still one of the greatest Batman stories ever written.

How can a story that doesn't seem to make much sense, be considered one of the best Batman tales ever?

If it seemed like mumbo-jumbo to you, then you didn't read the story correctly. If you thought or expected the physical death of Batman throughout the comic, then you need to read it again.
    No Caption Provided
    Before you start reading, you need to ask yourself, how do you kill Batman? I mean really, get rid of Batman. The mantle, is not a title, nor a legacy. Batman was the solution a broken boy who possibly never dealt with his parent's death conjured up. I mean, isn't that the basic fact here? There will not be another Batman. I know, I know what you're thinking; Battle For The Cowl, right? Well, I don't think I see it that way, at all actually. Batman isn't a role someone else can just pick up: Batman is Bruce Wayne, Bruce Wayne is Batman: no matter what happens there will never be another. For example: The Flash did not choose to be the Flash, it chose him. Same with the Green Lantern's. But "Batman" was the psycological solution for Bruce Wayne. Bruce crafted the image and ideology of Batman on his own; there will never be another because it isn't about running around in a Bat-suit. It's much deeper than that.

A word of advice, from one comicbook reader to another...

No Caption Provided
    Don't go into this story thinking there will be a clear ending; there won't be. In fact, you will go crazy trying to conjure up all the different possible scenerios and "what if's;" but that's half the fun. Morrison will drive you crazy chasing down leads that lead you to a dead end. Having a story that has no clear cut resolution. But not only is that half the fun of reading this story arc; it is what Batman is all about. He is the world's greatest detective, and by the time you are through with the story, you will have become the world's greatest comic book reader. There is a sheer brilliance in Morrisons work in that he goes to lengths to dig up aspects of Batman's history and give them new meaning; shed light on possibilites that you may never have imagined. It is brilliant, but it is for the reader that isn't afraid to get deep and muddy in the mind of Batman.

Morrison kills Batman in this way: He take's him down, and builds him back up- from the ground up. He reconstructs Batman before your eyes and you will watch as the caped crusader slowly declines into insanity and rises back up from the ashes.

Before you read, keep in mind...

• Organization is key. Every issue is valuable. I did not read the branch off series connected to this story, and I don't recommend that you do either because they really aren't necessary. They are separate stories and are not needed to understanding "BATMAN R.I.P." (i.e: Nightwing R.I.P., Robin R.I.P., Batman Detective R.I.P., etc. All are fine stories in their own right, but are not necessary for the main storyline.
    • Get yourself a notebook and a pen. Write things down. It'll help, a LOT.
    • If you find yourself reading into images and clues and begin thinking you are going crazy; you aren't. You're on the right path (or one of them anyway). There is symbolism in the words Morrison chooses to tell the story, as well as the images in the pictures so brilliantly depicted by Tony Daniel. For example, the COLORS MEAN SOMETHING!  ;)
    • Keep in mind, that this is supposed to be the most diabolical end result to occur in 70 years! HOWEVER it is left completely up to your interpretation.
    • Start before R.I.P. Trust me.

No Caption Provided
    Okay, well I guess that is it! I will be splitting up the theories probably in two videos and I will try and articulate some of the ideas I put in motion onto the screen, meaning you'll have your own Black Casebook written by yours truly to go along with the videos. If you guys aren't crazy about it, then I won't continue, as it IS a lot of work. There are tons of pieces to put together! But, the honest reason I am doing this is because it seemed (at least to me) that a lot of people (including myself,) were left so confused with this story. Maybe that's why it didn't obtain the discussion it should have! All in all, t was a good one and deserves a little spotlight.

I'll probably split it between issues
    Batman #'s 664-675
    Batman R.I.P. #'s 676-681 and touching briefly on Last Rites and his "death" in Final Crisis #6.

This is speculation. The whole purpose of this arc was to make you think and do some detective work. I'll try my best to work through some possible scenerios and hopefully do this great piece some justice. So hold on tight, we're gonna go for a crazy ride.

-B

Avatar image for deactivated-5a883dcd149ea
    deactivated-5a883dcd149ea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

this blog looks so amazing...if only I had an interest in Batman D:

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By No_Name_

Maybe by the end of it, you will :D

Nightwolf3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Nightwolf3

This is really cool babs =] ill be sure to tune in

Peterobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Peterobe

Love this. I read RIP and could not leave it - I read it cover to cover without taking much of a breath (oh I did grab a coffee I think). I have to agree though it was a tiring experience, but one I know I want to do again - there is much in this story that requires more than one read - and Babs great point on the clues - I love that - especially as Batman is a detective - a point often forgotten. I look forward to your diary on this Babs!

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By No_Name_

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. Hope you enjoy the trip!

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By pixelized

I LOVE YOUR DOLCE'S!!!!!!!!

Detective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Detective

good post

marcusdesade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By marcusdesade

Great Blog.  iI have re-read the whole saga i love it, its so rich with symblism it givs the book somthing extra and i really like the last part. I did suss out jeezible jet far to good to be true. You see Grant de-constuct batman before your eyes and re-build him.  Only Problem for me being on the other side of the pond no one to discuss theorys with and found in dififficult to have  a chat about the story line cause no one i know had read it. Still a great read and cant wait for Batman And Robin.

Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By Dr. Maxwell

I loved the ARc, I read some of Morrisons work after I had read RIP and it made more sense. Great blog Babs

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Erik

Babs, I cannot wait to hear your theories. It is easy to see that you are doing your homework.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Nighthunter

Nice blog babs

umm I didn't find R.I.P that hard to understand, does that mean I'm a genius? :D

:P

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

I have a few theories myself, I'll wait to see what you come up with before I talk about them though.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By No_Name_

Thank you.

Well, perhaps if you understood it, you can help me go through the possible scenerios? (i.e. possibilites of who and what character carries the true identity of Dr.Hurt, since that is yet to have been revealed?)

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By No_Name_
    Gambler said:
    "And so it begins. Great start babe. Let the conspiracy theories start flying.
    "
    Thanks! :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BatgirlBabs said:
    "Thank you.

Well, perhaps if you understood it, you can help me go through the possible scenerios? (i.e. possibilites of who and what character carries the true identity of Dr.Hurt, since that is yet to have been revealed?)
    "
    Hmmm
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By No_Name_
    TheDrifter said:
    "BatgirlBabs said:
    "Thank you.

"
    Hmmm
    "
    Yes?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BatgirlBabs said:

"
    I don't think I read before RIP.

Where should I start? I'm probably gonna re-read it.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nighthunter
    Not a theory but just a quite clear and sweet reference that I thought was worth mention

something familiar?

caption
    caption

caption
    caption

Something familiar? :P

And loved the differences of the tie-ins of Nightwing and the main story of R.I.P and how both heroes take this experience differently

I thought this was very interesting for its parallel to Batman RIP. Basically, the same sort of mind games are being played on both Bruce and Dick -- albeit more intensely with Bruce -- but the difference in how each character handles it is rather profound.

The level of assault on Bruce is much higher, of course, between the implication of his father being involved to the presence of the Joker -- a much more dangerous presence than Two-Face -- and the hazard to (and from) a love interest, as opposed to the relative stranger that is Carol.

Nevertheless, I think the *type* of assault is very similar, and the contrast in their responses is probably deliberate -- Dick is a centered, healthy individual, and Bruce is not. Bruce is heading for a downfall while Dick will likely emerge from this experience stronger.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By No_Name_

That's what the videos are gonna be for... >.>

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nighthunter
    TheDrifter said:
    "BatgirlBabs said:

"

"
    the beginning of Morrison's run
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By No_Name_

@ Nighthunter: That's only the tip of the iceburg.

I was hoping you would wait till I made the videos and stuff but hey man, its cool :P

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nighthunter
    BatgirlBabs said:
    "That's what the videos are gonna be for... >.>
    "
    sorry :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BatgirlBabs said:
    "That's what the videos are gonna be for... >.>
    "
    <.<

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nighthunter said:
    "TheDrifter said:
    "BatgirlBabs said:

"

"
    the beginning of Morrison's run
    "
    Ahhhhh, Gotcha.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Nighthunter
    BatgirlBabs said:
    "@ Nighthunter: That's only the tip of the iceburg.

I was hoping you would wait till I made the videos and stuff but hey man, its cool :P
    "
    will you be putting the "Satan may be the one behind things" theory?
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By No_Name_

That's really only one of many different possible theories. So yes, I will touch on it.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nighthunter

well here's a couple of things I put a few months ago for that theory in case you need it

Is the villain behind Batman R.I.P the devil himself?

Exhibit a:

Morrison stated that the villain behind this was the greatest mastermind and manipulator Batman would ever encounter. Who is better for the role than Satan himself?

Exhibit b:

The "red and black" that is so often mentioned during the storyline are often associated with the devil, as he is often drawn with them as the main colors.

Exhibit C:

Batman #666 nuff said...

Exhibit D:

Morrison already established Satan in one Batman story way back in "Batman: Gothic"

Exhibit E:

The third other batmen claimed to be the anti-christ and he works for Hurt

Exhibit F:

"I guess the old dragon [in reference to Satan] forgot to mention the bargain he made with me when I was fourteen--Gotham's survival…in return for my soul!"-Damian Wayne

maybe it's more than just a saying....

Exhibit G:

"I can't believe that they haven't figured out who the villain is! Is someone that everyone in the world knows of!"-Grant Morrison
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Did you get that from CBR :P

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nighthunter

nope, why?

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By No_Name_

Thank you, maybe you can use that in your debate against my theory :P I think Satan is symbolic, not literal. And 666 is the only aspect of the storyline that is out of continuity. It hasn't happened. I'll play devil's advocate here: Think of a man who carries the name of the devil, but he himself is not Satan...

I think once you see what I came up with, you will disagree completely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found somewhere Grant saying everything in Batman RIP is tied to what he started in 52.

Damnit

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nighthunter
    BatgirlBabs said:
    "Thank you, maybe you can use that in your debate against my theory :P I think Satan is symbolic, not literal. And 666 is the only aspect of the storyline that is out of continuity. It hasn't happened. I'll play devil's advocate here: Think of a man who carries the name of the devil, but he himself is not Satan...

I think once you see what I came up with, you will disagree completely

"
    hmm we kinda always agree so...

:P

TheDrifter said:
    "I found somewhere Grant saying everything in Batman RIP is tied to what he started in 52.

Damnit
    "
    it was a single issue, even so read 52, it's awesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oooh, okay.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oooh, okay.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Nice work Babs, I've gotten sick of the nay-sayers to this book because the plot isn't laid out in front of them. This was an amazing read and is one of my favorite Batman stories.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nighthunter said:

Exhibit C:

Batman #666 nuff said...

There are also six people in the Black Glove (not counting Hurt)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nighthunter said:

Exhibit C:

Batman #666 nuff said...

There are also six people in the Black Glove (not counting Hurt)
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    TheDrifter said:
    " There are also six people in the Black Glove (not counting Hurt)
    "
    There is?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gambler said:
    "TheDrifter said:
    " There are also six people in the Black Glove (not counting Hurt)
    "
    There is?
    "

I don't know them by name but, yeah. Count em'.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By The_Ghostshell

That's not the Black Glove.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's in their gallery on CV.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I know, and its wrong. Read the captions.

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahhhhhhhhh, My bad.

I'm re-reading it at the moment, taking some notes I'll then PM to Babs.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Nighthunter

umm drifter you need to learn to count :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheDrifter said:
    "There are also six people in the Black Glove (not counting Hurt)
    "
    NOT counting Hurt
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Nighthunter
    TheDrifter said:
    "TheDrifter said:
    "There are also six people in the Black Glove (not counting Hurt)
    "
    NOT counting Hurt
    "
    there are only five fingers in a glove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I meant the League of Villains, not Black Glove.

Sorry.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Nighthunter
    TheDrifter said:
    "I meant the League of Villains, not Black Glove.

Sorry.
    "
    you mean the club of supervillains?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheDrifter said:

These guys
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Nighthunter

the club of supervillains

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.