Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Interview: Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo Talk the End of Batman and Joker's Epic Battle

• 56 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Have you been reading Batman: Endgame? Have you read today's finale to the story arc? For fans wanting to see Batman and Joker go all out and not hold back in their battle against each other, this issue does deliver quite a bit. But you can read our review for the issue HERE if you want to hear how we fully felt about it.

We had the chance to talk to both Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo about this story as well as what we can expect in the FREE COMIC BOOK DAY issue and post-Convergence.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: I’m sure I don’t have to tell you guys how great the issue was.

GREG CAPULLO: No, please do.

[laughs]

CV: It was amazing. It was epic. It was…you can read my review.

No Caption Provided

With this issue being the end of Endgame and possibly Batman and Joker, how much pressure did you guys feel before it went to print?

GC: Speaking for me, I was really confident that we had something really cool. But Scott being the writer, I’m sure had the lion’s share of pressure, right? I could just blame him. You didn’t like it? Aaah…it was that guy over there. [laughs] But I was pretty confident, even when I read the scripts. I was like, “Aw, this is gold.” I was ready to put my pencil to the paper with this.

SCOTT SNYDER: It’s scary because you’re taking the characters to a place that’s intimidating at the end, for both of them, in a real way. You get nervous. Is it epic enough? Does it do justice to the stuff you’ve set up? It’s pretty terrifying but ultimately I feel we try to approach Batman as though this version is our version and we know him better than anyone. We built him and he’s separate from the other versions. This version, I feel this is where their story would go. I tried to hint at it even in SUPERMAN UNCHAINED and stuff like that. You see references to how Batman will go down. For me, it’s where it needed to go. I hope.

From SUPERMAN UNCHAINED
    From SUPERMAN UNCHAINED

CV: Was there ever a time that this would be your final story on BATMAN?

SS: Yeah, there was.

GC: I think Scott had it planned until he realized how long my contract was.

SS: [laughs] I was thinking of it as a kind of template. I thought this story, if we got to it, it would be our last and have a different ending. It would let us out in a way that put the pieces in a better place for the next writer instead of everyone being dead. That said, as we got further along, I realized it was a story that would allow us to go someplace really really different and special if we did it the way I had originally been thinking of it. The truth is, I would stay on this book with Greg, or any book, as long as he could put up with me.

GC: [laughs]

CV: So you’re saying it’s all up to Greg?

SS: Well, if when we get to the end of the next arc and Greg’s like, “Hey, I’d like to stay on BATMAN longer.” I would totally be up for it. But I think both of us also understand, we’ve been on the book a long time at this point. We’re totally grateful to everyone for that. If it’s our time to go then we’re really…I don’t know, lucky for having been able to do this.

GC: No doubt.

No Caption Provided

CV: What was the process between you two for the fight sequence between Batman and Joker?

SS: We just talked it out.

GC: The two coolest ideas were the smiley face with the knives for eyes. When he wrote it, he goes, “Let me know what you think about the scene with the smile.” I thought it was completely awesome! And then he wrote a scene I would have loved to do at any point. That was treating Batman as a bull and stabbing someone. I’ve always wanted to do that. It’s like he wrote that just for me. Apart from that, the direction was he wanted it to be the bloodiest fight ever. Scott would give me something like he gets stabbed with a knife in the shoulder. And then he stabs him in the other. I had to figure out how to make it look cool so I added Joker hopping around. Scott was saying that Joker is agile and faster than Batman here. I had to ask myself, how do I portray that? I drew him hopping around, bouncing off the walls, while stabbing him. That’s where I take that kind of essence he’s trying to put across and draw it into the scene. That’s where I choreograph and come up with a way to convey those ideas.

No Caption Provided

CV: Did you guys get any flack online over Alfred’s injury?

GC: MY GOD! POOR ALFRED!

SS: I didn’t hear too much. It was funny because I think that issue, the ending is so crazy too, where they’re going after him in the parade and everyone’s there—all the villains. I keep thinking we’re going to get hit by the blowback but I didn’t see a tremendous amount of it. I’m sure it’s out there.

GC: I saw stuff like, “Poor Alfred, he could use a hand. Haw haw.”

SS: Or Cyborg. I get a lot of Cyborg. I hoped people would understand we wouldn’t do anything like that if we didn’t have a story for it. For me, with this issue, he says, “There’s no one to mend anymore,” so he leaves it off. But maybe he’ll have a hand if there comes a time when Batman goes back to normal.

No Caption Provided

CV: With the new direction coming up in the FCBD issue and post-Convergence, can we assume there’ll be follow up with the Bat-Family?

SS: Yeah, the whole Bat Team is following the same line. We’re all in step together. When the idea for what’s coming up post-FCBD came to me—we have what we call a Bat Summit, I think it was back in December. It was all the writers there from GRAYSON, BATGIRL, GOTHAM ACADEMY, BATWOMAN, all of them. I pitched the idea to them and said, “If you don’t have a story for it that you’re happy with, we don’t need to do it. If you do and you like it as much as I do, then let’s do it.” It was really up to all of us, as a team, to decide if we were doing it or not. I think I’ve said that to you already but that’s the truth. You can ask any of them. Ultimately, when they liked it as much as they did, there wasn’t anyone in there that wasn’t excited, which made me so relieved. It became about how each of us would use it that was slightly different than the other one. You’ll see the repercussion of Endgame and FCBD in BATGIRL, CATWOMAN, GRAYSON, …across the line. To me, the only way to proceed or do a change like that is if you have a better story on the other side than you do on this side. It’s like, do you have stuff going forward that trumps this stuff you have now. That’s kind of how we all felt.

CV: Is there a resurgence of energy taking a different approach on BATMAN?

GC: To me, it’s like drawing an entirely different book. Not to quote the other team but it’s like I’m drawing Iron Man, sort of. In the first stories that Scott’s given, there’s new villains with monster-like qualities. Well, not ‘monster-like,’ there’s monsters. It’s like a totally fresh revitalization for me. I haven’t quite BATMAN and yet I’m on a different book suddenly. It’s really really cool.

No Caption Provided

CV: Is there anything you want to tell us about the FCBD or Convergence back up pages?

SS: I would just say two things. One, being friends with a lot of people that have tried things that have changed the mythology in big ways and taken risks. I talked to Dan Slott about SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN, Ed Brubaker when he had Bucky become Captain America and Charles Soule about killing Wolverine. Not to spoil things for anyone but none of us would ever do those things unless, again, we had better stories on the other side, for the characters. What we say is, enjoy it. To me, it’s almost like when you go on vacation and you love where you are because it’s so different and fun. Going on vacation also makes you realize how special home is. In the meanwhile, enjoy it because you don’t get many opportunities to go on vacation or to go to new places you wouldn’t have otherwise. For us, I hope our track record shows, with a story like this, we would only do it if it gave us a new purchase on the mythology of the characters.

The second thing I would say is thanks. Like we said, we had the incredible support of the fans, beyond what any of us expected, for four years running. It means a lot. We hope you like the story as much as we do but, more than anything, thanks for coming along with us this far.

Be sure to pick up BATMAN #40, on sale now, as well as the DC FREE COMIC BOOK DAY issue at your local comic shop on May 2, for a look at the next chapter for BATMAN.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By SaintWildcard

I knew there was a point to Unchained. Cus it certainly wasn't to tell a good Superman story

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Not first.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Fourth

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

What an issue. Fantastic conclusion to the arc. Thank you Snyder, Capullo, Miki, and FCO. The FCBD issue is also a great issue. Interesting introduction to the new Batman.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Nope you sure aren't

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You heard it here folks, Snyder won't ever quit Batman unless he's forced off. :P

Serious note i love Snyder's Batman to death but i think we've seen enough of it. From Black morror to Eternal and Endgame, i think him getting off the title at 50 would be perfect. I want Snyder and Capullo to try different DC properties more than i want them to keep writing Batman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not looking forward to this new batman at all. Might drop this book for a while after convergence until the real batman comes back. Didn't like the ending, other than that it was amazing.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I can't be the only one who hates Capullo's art.....

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Snyder and Capullo really nailed it. I was on the fence about Endgame, but this issue felt like a true Batman vs Joker finale. Also, Batman's joke was excellent. It was so satisfying to see Joker panic like that, and throw a fit.

Awesome work guys! Hope you both stay on for a few dozen more.

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

COULD SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT THE LAST PANEL WAS ALL ABOUT PLEASE?

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

@jj_was_here: it was a throw back to the first issue of endgame. How one of his friends wanted to do a play so he purchased a really expensive piece of armor for a godlike character to come in from the ceiling. Basically saying that the gods are dead. Or maybe it's saying Prometheus is going to come back haha

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was utter shit who in the hell wants to read not batman for a whole year if I wanted that I would read JL

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordofthenorth: One of the most famous Batman stories of all time is Batman being beaten senseless and replaced for a long duration.

So, what was that again?

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What no mention of doing small mystery story arcs and then changing his mind? That's a staple of every snyder interview

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I like Scott Snyder's Wytches and Greg Capullo is an amazing artist but this Batman run is so derivative.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Honestly, I'm not sure in the new direction, and I can see that many, many people are skeptical as well, but if they do it right, then my fears will go away, and all the hate will as well.

Avatar image for that_one_guy_at_the_comic_shop
    that_one_guy_at_the_comic_shop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is all comics are today: Cheap Deaths and Boring fights?

Avatar image for mollydanger2210
    MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, if all you're reading is Marvel and DC superheroes.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Transformers1024

It's past time for Snyder to go. Count of Owls was great, Death of the Family was okay, but Zero Year and Endgame have been godawful. I'd rather Snyder just focus full time on Wytches & American Vampire -- he works much better with his creator owned titles.

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just...why did Snyder kill Batman?

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

Ughhh...why is Bruce dead. I mean he just got his son back. I hope there is something good to come from this story.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@that_one_guy_at_the_comic_shop said:

It wasn't really a cheap fight. It was a testament to the entire relationship between Bruce and the Joker, where Batman won for once. No "hilarious" finish, no last joke for the Joker.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lots of complainers on here, which is weird since CBR is usually the place for that. Really enjoyed this issue, both Snyder and Capullo were on point with every bit of their work.

Also really looking forward to the new Batman. Like Snyder said in an interview, storylines like that make you appreciate the original person behind the mask.

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29  Edited By Rixec

@fuzzylittlerodent said:

I can't be the only one who hates Capullo's art.....

Yes, you are. You can have your opinion, but Capullo is an amazing artist!

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2cool4fun: Everyone is skeptical with the directions like bucky cap, superior spiderman, dick-bat etc. If they can just get over the fact that someone else can be the superhero you love, the stories to come out of these scenarios are pretty amazing.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Epic issue. It is interesting how Batman's fight with the Joker ties in with Superman Unchained. Pretty neat

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew there was a point to Unchained. Cus it certainly wasn't to tell a good Superman story

You said it. Is that officially non-Canon? Cause it sure feels completely out of place. Also, all the delays it faced only compounded the books problems. JIM LEE!

Avatar image for mrmatchesmalone
    Mrmatchesmalone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, you guys gotta keep bringing amazing stories! C'mon give us another 4yrs!!!!

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@thetrueclarkkent said:

You said it. Is that officially non-Canon? Cause it sure feels completely out of place. Also, all the delays it faced only compounded the books problems. JIM LEE!

No, because it's now a building block for this Batman story :/

I like how some users praise this as a Pre 52 Superman story, but consider Lex's speech about Superman a dig at New 52.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

The General Reaction from readers, when writers in comic books try pretty much anything new.......

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rixec

@the_lobster_ said:

The General Reaction from readers, when writers in comic books try pretty much anything new.......

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

I'm actually fine with change. I enjoy embracing new stories.

cerial442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#37  Edited By cerial442

I'm not against doing something different, but I think it's time for someone new to take over for a while. The problem is I have no idea who could take over.

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not against doing something different, but I think it's time for someone new to take over for a while. The problem is I have no idea who could take over.

Lucius Fox?

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's Snyder's chance to have a little fun with Batman and experiment, i don't mind it. But yeah we should get a new writer after 50. Top of my head i want Greg Rucka, Jeff Lemire or Mark Waid. I'm open to any big indie writer too if GLY is successful on Superman.

cerial442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

@scavengerfist: Ah, I wrote that too vauge. I meant a new creative team for the book. I don't know who they could get, but I think it's time for Synder to move on to something else.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's past time for Snyder to go. Count of Owls was great, Death of the Family was okay, but Zero Year and Endgame have been godawful. I'd rather Snyder just focus full time on Wytches & American Vampire -- he works much better with his creator owned titles.

Zero Year and Endgame were great, and both were better than Death of the Family.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue was great but the future direction doesn't sound appealing to me. I mean this isn't anything new really and replacing Bruce in the past gave us Dick as a great Batman and so on but Gordon ? With guns ? with the bunny costume ? That doesn't sound like something I would want to read.

FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rixec: Critisizes my opinion, views his opinion as the unquestionable truth. Brilliant

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe if Robin didn't JUST die and come back. Maybe. The Iron Tick aka Gord-Machine aka "New Batman" is so not Batman. I don't think I care what Gordo does in his new battle suit.

By the way: "Joker and Batman finally kill each other" is not a story - unless it sticks and they are both gone for good.

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So batman died? Again?

Avatar image for that_one_guy_at_the_comic_shop
    that_one_guy_at_the_comic_shop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kervan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I 100% disagree with this statement. Between UNCHAINED and Johns' and Romita's run, those have been the only worthwhile Superman stories in the New 52, IMO.

Kervan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've loved everything that Snyder and Capullo have done on Batman since the New 52 relaunch. I hope they both stay on Batman for a long time, even after this new bit. I was so happy that Snyder taking over the book was the end of all of the nonsense that Morrison put us through (If you liked all of that, I'm glad. But I didn't. Too much Morrison-y weirdness, and the timing was terrible as they removed Bruce from the cowl right after TDK made $1 billion. They should have found some kind of work-around).

I just can't get behind another "new Batman" story line though. I loved this story arc, and even this issue. I even loved Batman RIP under Morrison. But I just don't get why every single major writer needs to take the hero out of the story for awhile and put someone else in the costume. Even if the stories turn out good, it's a trope I'm REALLY getting tired of. It just seems like every major writer has to do that at some point. Morrison, Brubaker, Remender, Slott, and now Snyder. At least Snyder and Capullo have stated plainly that Bruce will come back after a little while.

Rather than a new Batman, I would have preferred the Batman book become more of a team book with Dick, Tim, Barbara, Stephanie, Harper, and Jason working as a cohesive team. With Julia Pennyworth running ops from the cave. That's a dynamic I'd prefer than seeing another "new Batman" that's not Bruce, as they let each of those characters really step up in BATMAN ETERNAL.

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fuzzylittlerodent: In what way did I criticize your opinion? I said you can have yours and then gave my own. Did I ever state that my opinion is the unquestionable truth? No, I did not. That was you putting words in my mouth. I just said that he is an amazing artist. And plenty others do as well. His art is praised through the roof in reviews by reviewers and casual fans. It is an unfortunate thing, but there are always a few haters for a beloved thing and a few lovers for a hated thing. No one thing is truly loved or despised by all. In the case of Capullo, the majority seem to think he is brilliant since his art has been praised as one of the strongest parts of his run with Snyder. That is not me stating him being a great artist is an unquestionable truth, just that a vast majority do love his work. You can have your opinion that he is awful, but there are plenty that love him. He would not have been on the book this long with such high reviews otherwise. There will be some who do not like it and you may keep that opinion.

And if you think the "Yes, you are" is my criticizing your opinion, then you truly never have been criticized before. That was a partial joke based on what you said and the fact you are the only one I have ever seen state such a thing. My apologies if the joke was in bad taste, but you did not have to try to make my comment seem like an "unquestionable truth" when I never stated that it was. If it was unquestionable, then I would not have recognized you as someone hating it. There. If my "Yes, you are" hurt you in some fashion, then you have balanced the tables with you making me seem like an all mighty all arrogant jerk.

FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rixec: Do I really have to read all this?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.