Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23630 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

In hindsight, was Return for Bruce Wayne a mistake for DC?

Jakearoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jakearoo

Has it been a mistake so far for DC? Or is it something that needs more time before it's decided by fans? I mean, I think after Batman Inc runs its course we'll really be able to say whether it was a successful venture for DC. But, as of right now, was the Return of Bruce Wayne a mistake?
    Debate.

Jakearoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jakearoo

I meant Return of Bruce Wayne in the title. My bad.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By entropy_aegis

Give reasons.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

No.. It was a superb book and brought the best character ever back into the DCU.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By johnny_spam

It was not a mistake and the best thing that could have happened in the story Bruce also went through a life changing transformation making him a better Batman for this decade though it is probably only a matter of time before some writers screw it up and make him the Frank Miller Batman again. But really it's good because Bruce's mission is put in prospective he saw the beginning of time and the end so that surely helps Bruce now. That is my answer if you asked if you mean should the story have happened if that was not the question please clarify because it sounds like you are asking two different questions.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By entropy_aegis

The OP needs to elaborate.

headstones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By headstones
    @entropy_aegis said:
    " Give reasons. "
    The reason Bruce is back is, MONEY. Don't bring back Bruce Wayne then you loose sales of Batman comics. I think it is not a mistake from a financial point for the simple reason that DCU can still make money from the name. If you say "That is it for Bruce Wayne!" then you loose interest from the older comic fans and thus profit. Now Bruce is only human and should naturally die sometime. That would make sense. Who wants to see an old and feeble Batman fighting into his 90s. I think that Bruce should die and hand over the reigns to Dick or whoever but I am sure DC wants to keep him around as long as his name will keep selling comics.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @johnny spam said:
    "It was not a mistake and the best thing that could have happened in the story Bruce also went through a life changing transformation making him a better Batman for this decade though it is probably only a matter of time before some writers screw it up and make him the Frank Miller Batman again. But really it's good because Bruce's mission is put in prospective he saw the beginning of time and the end so that surely helps Bruce now. That is my answer if you asked if you mean should the story have happened if that was not the question please clarify because it sounds like you are asking two different questions. "

how is he any different compared to before RIP and Hush?
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#9  Edited By Dracade102

I want Dick to stay as Batman

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Dracade102:
    me too. I would like him to pick up the outsider Uniform Bruce used in the Road home arc.
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By johnny_spam
    @DEGRAAF:@DEGRAAF said:
    " @johnny spam said:
    "It was not a mistake and the best thing that could have happened in the story Bruce also went through a life changing transformation making him a better Batman for this decade though it is probably only a matter of time before some writers screw it up and make him the Frank Miller Batman again. But really it's good because Bruce's mission is put in prospective he saw the beginning of time and the end so that surely helps Bruce now. That is my answer if you asked if you mean should the story have happened if that was not the question please clarify because it sounds like you are asking two different questions. "
    how is he any different compared to before RIP and Hush? "
    He changed his whole operation and started Batman inc he is willing to fight crime in the day light he considers other countries in his mission and I think for the first time in a while includes others in his planing dying twice and living through all those different eras in time is something that is going to really effect him.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DEGRAAF

Im not trying to question you, i just think he feels the same. Yea he is more willing to work with partners but i dont feel like he evolved very much from his multi-life experience. I would like to see him take a more proactive move towards his relationship with Selina as well as a larger role as a mentor to his kids rather than come back to take his spot back
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By johnny_spam
    @DEGRAAF:@DEGRAAF said:

" Im not trying to question you, i just think he feels the same. Yea he is more willing to work with partners but i dont feel like he evolved very much from his multi-life experience. I would like to see him take a more proactive move towards his relationship with Selina as well as a larger role as a mentor to his kids rather than come back to take his spot back "

Well before RIP during Morrison's first arc Bruce was feeling bored in some ways in RIP it is even said that was part of the plan from Hurt to make Batman feel like he has no more use but after going through what happened to him he is more ambitious like his batteries were recharged. And also Bruce is shown as loving a good challenge he may not really hate being Batman because it keeps him busy and a global threat that is taking followers certainly sounds like something that would get his full attention.
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By jrock85

Bruce Wayne is the bread and butter of DC comics.

Jakearoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jakearoo

Sorry, been busy with some things, haven't been able to moderate this as much as I would like. What I mean is, due to fans reactions (which has been kinda split) should the story arc have been done? I don't mean if it was good or bad, but what I'm getting at is this: Was this groundshaking event in Batman's universe something good for Batman? Or has it pushed some away by its quirky plot, thus making it a mistake? Does that help?

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sort of reminds me of Coca-Cola releasing a newer, tastier Coke that was only good when you weren't drinking it. Killing Batman was a pretty good idea, actually. Unfortunately, killing heroes is a cheap trick and bringing them back costs them only their credibility in the industry. Bat nipples.

GamiSB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By GamiSB
    @sesquipedalophobe said:

" It sort of reminds me of Coca-Cola releasing a newer, tastier Coke that was only good when you weren't drinking it. Killing Batman was a pretty good idea, actually. Unfortunately, killing heroes is a cheap trick and bringing them back costs them only their credibility in the industry. Bat nipples. "

In general i agree with you however Bruce Wayne was never marketed as dead or going to die and his death was a metaphorical one, not literal. The only time span in which that was a possibility of Batman truely being dead in the literal sense was the time between issues 6 and 7 of Final Crisis. Issue seven though closed that hole by clearly shows an alive Bruce Wayne next to a dying Anthro. Sure there was Batman: RIP but in interviews Morrison said that RIP did not stand for "Rest in Peace" and meant something else and while the ending for RIP does feature Nightwing holding the remains of Bruce's costume after he has crashed into the water via Hurt's helicopter Final Crisis was well underway at that point and Bruce was seen alive in well in issues 1 and 2. Heck the epilogue in issue seven of Final Crisis was actually somethign DC wanted Morrison to add as Morrison wanted to leave it ambiguous.

As I said the death of Batman was only figuratively. In Final Crisis you see him break one of his sworn to vows about fire arms and in RIP you see him break down to the point where Bruce Wayne was completely taken out of the equation. Return of Bruce Wayne wasn't just about a literal return it was about Batman being restored back to his former self and embracing not just the Batman side of him but restoring his Bruce Wayne persona something that in Morrison's very first issue on Batman he hinted at Bruce having trouble with.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DEGRAAF

I dont necessarilly think it was a bad idea i just wish they would have actually killed him and let Dick take over the mantle totally. (if you are talking about Bruce Wayne)

I didnt pick up the series bc i just saw it as DC reaching for money but overall wasnt a terrible story to tel (if you are talking about the series)

Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sydpart2
    @GamiSB said:
    " @sesquipedalophobe said:

" It sort of reminds me of Coca-Cola releasing a newer, tastier Coke that was only good when you weren't drinking it. Killing Batman was a pretty good idea, actually. Unfortunately, killing heroes is a cheap trick and bringing them back costs them only their credibility in the industry. Bat nipples. "

In general i agree with you however Bruce Wayne was never marketed as dead or going to die and his death was a metaphorical one, not literal. The only time span in which that was a possibility of Batman truely being dead in the literal sense was the time between issues 6 and 7 of Final Crisis. Issue seven though closed that hole by clearly shows an alive Bruce Wayne next to a dying Anthro. Sure there was Batman: RIP but in interviews Morrison said that RIP did not stand for "Rest in Peace" and meant something else and while the ending for RIP does feature Nightwing holding the remains of Bruce's costume after he has crashed into the water via Hurt's helicopter Final Crisis was well underway at that point and Bruce was seen alive in well in issues 1 and 2. Heck the epilogue in issue seven of Final Crisis was actually somethign DC wanted Morrison to add as Morrison wanted to leave it ambiguous. As I said the death of Batman was only figuratively. In Final Crisis you see him break one of his sworn to vows about fire arms and in RIP you see him break down to the point where Bruce Wayne was completely taken out of the equation. Return of Bruce Wayne wasn't just about a literal return it was about Batman being restored back to his former self and embracing not just the Batman side of him but restoring his Bruce Wayne persona something that in Morrison's very first issue on Batman he hinted at Bruce having trouble with. "
    this

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.