In Batman R.I.P. did anyone else notice Bats identity is revealed

#1 Posted by spidershamrock (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

I was just reading back over it today and noticed that Jim Gordon goes straight to Bruce's house and meets the traps and League of Assassins, clearly implying Bruce is Batman.

Also the Joker is listening to the Black Glove throughout the book so he definetley picked up on it. I now I doesn't matter now with the retconn but I'm just wondering

#2 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2221 posts) - - Show Bio

Throughout the whole arc and everything Morrison did that followed RIP, it was implied that everyone close to Batman had an idea that it was Bruce Wayne under the mask, they just were indifferent to it. Most people believe that Gordon has known Bruce was Bats for years, and their characterizations pretty much play off of that unspoken fact.

#3 Posted by entropy_aegis (15312 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidershamrock said:

I was just reading back over it today and noticed that Jim Gordon goes straight to Bruce's house and meets the traps and League of Assassins, clearly implying Bruce is Batman.

Also the Joker is listening to the Black Glove throughout the book so he definetley picked up on it. I now I doesn't matter now with the retconn but I'm just wondering

Gordon and Joker know,they're just indifferent to it.

#4 Edited by War Killer (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

I always got the feeling Gordon has known it was Bruce since Year One when Bruce saves Gordon's son and he jokes about "technically" being blind without his glasses and being able to use that as an excuse even though over the years we've gotten the feeling and hints that he's known all along. You also get the same feeling in Batman: Hush when Bruce goes to Metropolis and makes a comment about how Perry White is "too good a reporter" to have not figured out Clark is Superman, and then goes on to make the same assumption about Gordon.

As for Joker, I've only read R.I.P. once (I had a headache shortly after reading it xD) and it appeared Joker knew it was Bruce, but even there I think the whole point is that in reality, even if he did know Batman was Bruce Wayne he wouldn't really care because he's only obsessed with Batman and doesn't care for the whole fake playboy act as he probably realizes that Batman is Bruce's true colors and is what draws him to The Dark Knight in the first place.

As for whether or not these still stand in the current DCU, seeing as most of the Batman stories have stayed in-continuity (except for a few minor details overlooked or erased) I'd like to think Year One still happened...this is one of the reason why I think DC should have made Detective Comics like Action Comics and have it show Batman's early days and show us what's still part of his history and what's not.

#5 Posted by Joelislegend (215 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@spidershamrock said:

Gordon and Joker know,they're just indifferent to it.

Exactly. They are either indifferent or couldn't be bothered to even make the link. I mean for Gordon it isn't Bruce that fights crime, it's Batman, and for the Joker, Wayne isn't his enemy, Batman is.

The Joker attacking an unarmed Wayne... would never happen. He needs the challenge. Probably the same reason he would never out Bruce's secret identity.

#6 Posted by spidershamrock (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer: I suppose but I'm still curious as to why Joker never involved Bruce in any of his grand schemes or Alfred who seems an ideal candidate to make Batman suffer. Probobly not relevant now but you never know

#7 Posted by GamerGeek360 (251 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joelislegend said:

The Joker attacking an unarmed Wayne... would never happen. He needs the challenge. Probably the same reason he would never out Bruce's secret identity.

Exactly. Joker needs his Bat-plaything. Why would he get rid of his favorite toy in the world by outing his secret identity?

#8 Edited by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe SPOILERS but in The Black Mirror James Jr. says that all the Gordons know who all the Waynes really are since they have known each other so long. Also in that Jim so knows that Dick is Batman and even thanks Dick for things he did as Batman.

#9 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the idea is that people believe Batman could be bruce, no one can just prove it, and when he comes and says he supports batman, it throws everyone off

#10 Posted by Joelislegend (215 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyways, there's nobody that has anything to gain by outing him, so they just don't bother.

#11 Posted by kadosho_16bit (76 posts) - - Show Bio

That's what I enjoyed about RIP, it left open what the series truly was. It made readers think, and put it all together in a bizarre fashion that it kept us on our toes till the next issue. Plus "The Court of Owls" unveiling the deep rooted truth "we know all, we know you and what you are" and that fated night was all planned. Kinda wonder what else is lurking in the past.

#12 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33360 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer: It's the same in the Black Mirror when Gordon implies that he knows Dick is Batman.
#13 Posted by HoneyKr (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey guys,

I am interested in Batman R.I.P story arc. Can anyone of you tell me the correct reading order?

I googled and here's what i found-

1.Batman and Son

2.The Black Glove

3.Batman R.I.P

4.Return of Bruce Wayne

#14 Edited by superbatprime (130 posts) - - Show Bio

Gordon didn't have time to mess around playing the old game of pretending he doesn't know during those events.

Of course he knows, he's always known.

I always assumed this was common knowledge, there are so many different moments over the years where they have all but said "GORDON KNOWS!".

Joker knows too because Joker is smart enough to have figured it out long ago, but he also knows that to reveal to the world that Bruce and Bats are the same person would in fact only be doing Batman a favour! Plus it's a waste of his time, he knows Bruce Wayne is a mask and nothing more.

In all honesty I suspect Bats wouldn't be too upset if it was revealed, he'd be relived imo.

Remember what happened after the murder of Vesper Fairchild?

Bats simply shed the Bruce Wayne identity and never felt more free, he had nothing left to lose and was finally able to be his true self 100% of the time.

#15 Posted by Red_Jack (285 posts) - - Show Bio

Though all that's mentioned may be true, there have been many times in previous Batman comics where Joker has been shown to be absolutely clueless over Bats identity.  One story showed a thug found out Bruce's id and tried to sell it off to the highest bidder, except Joker wanted it by force. 

Then again, Hush, Ra's Al Ghul, Bane and many more know of Batmans identity so it undermines Joker to not know too.

#16 Posted by ReachDestroyer (54 posts) - - Show Bio

@HoneyKr http://comicsastonish.com/2012/01/04/a-readers-guide-to-grant-morrisons-batman/

#17 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReachDestroyer: Lol the guy hasnt been online in 5 months

#18 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Red Jack- Have you been reading Death of the Family? You should really be reading Death of the Family

#19 Posted by ReachDestroyer (54 posts) - - Show Bio

*Facepalm*

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.