Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

In Batman/Batman Beyond TAS, do you think Talia willingly sacrificed herself so Ra's al Ghul may live?

LinkDrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll In Batman/Batman Beyond TAS, do you think Talia willingly sacrificed herself so Ra's al Ghul may live? (13 votes)

Yes - She was a willing sacrifice 15%
    No - She was either forced or tricked 69%
    Indeterminable - Talia didn't make enough appearances in TAS to accurately judge her character 15%

After a long while, I decided to go back and watch the Batman TAS franchise. There's something that bothers me about the episode from Batman Beyond - Out of the Past, specifically about Ra's and Talia. Keep in mind this is the Batman TAS/DCAU interpretation of Talia, who is arguably different from her comic book and live action counterpart, and is portrayed as a morally gray anti-hero rather than a clear cut villain.

From what I understand, Ra's started the Near Apocalypse of '09, nearly destroying the world (mentioned in "Out of the Past"). It could be assumed that the Near Apocalypse of '09 is a result of Ra's trying to execute his plan of flooding the world with Lazarus chemicals (mentioned in Batman TAS - "The Demon's Quest"). Talia betrayed Ra's and helped Batman stop Ra's. Ra's was mortally wounded to the point where he couldn't be healed even by the Lazarus Pit. Ra's mentions that he (and I quote) "called upon Talia to undertake the ultimate act of loyalty", which is a very vague and open ended statement, leaving much to interpretation. Using such a vague statement to describe a character's final moments bothers me since it ignores character development. "Calling upon" someone doesn't mean they are a willing participant, nor does it mean they have full knowledge of what they are being "called upon" for. Personally, I seriously doubt she would have knowingly and willingly sacrificed herself to Ra's, and here's why.

1) Talia is portrayed as equally loyal to Batman as well as Ra's depending on the situation. She sided with Batman against Ra's during the Near Apocalypse, resulting in Ra's being mortally wounded. If the Lazarus Pit couldn't heal Ra's, then it's obvious that he didn't have long to live, perhaps hours if not minutes. It seems unlikely that Talia would suddenly give herself up to Ra's mere moments after he nearly killed everyone and destroyed the world.

2) Talia and Batman legitimately cared for and loved each other. She also knows that Batman and Ra's are enemies. It doesn't seem logical that Talia would willingly allow Ra's to kill her and possess her body, knowing full well that Ra's might eventually try to kill Batman once again and attempt another apocalypse.

3) In Batman TAS, Talia isn't a hero or villain, she's more of an anti-hero. Depending on her disposition, she could be interpreted as either lawful neutral or chaotic neutral. It seems she picks between Batman and Ra's whenever it benefits her most. That said, there is no benefit for her to side with Ra's when he is near death after having sided with Batman.

Like her father, Talia wanted to better the world, but didn't agree with Ra's al Ghul's method, which was to destroy everything. She was also a romantic interest to Bruce, and cared enough about Bruce to prevent Ra's from killing him. If she willingly gave herself to Ra's, knowing full well that she would die, then that means she valued her father's life over Bruce, as well as her own wishes for a better world. If she was forced or tricked into donating her body to Ra's, then that helps to reinforce how sincere the relationship between Talia and Bruce was (which was more sincere in TAS/DCAU than in any other incarnation), and how much she cared about bettering the world in her own way. Something like this is pivotal to character development, helps to deepen the story, and brings in a more human element to the characters. It was the final defining moment of her character, which was never explained or portrayed. The lack of closure on the subject bothers me, because as it stands, it doesn't confirm Talia's intents or wishes either which way. What it does disclose, however, is that Ra's al Ghul cares more about himself than the well being of his offspring, which deepens his character as a villain.

All that said, I sincerely believe that Talia was either tricked or forced into sacrificing herself so Ra's could live. Granted, without any sort of episode or movie that covers the Near Apocalypse of '09, there's a lot of things that could be taken heavily out of context. It seems to me that the writers of "Out of the Past" was desperate to include Ra's and Talia in Batman Beyond, but didn't want it to be another simple "oh look, Ra's is still alive" type scenario. Regardless, I'd be interested in hearing everyone else's opinions on the matter. Do you ladies and gents think Talia willingly sacrificed herself, or do you think she was tricked/forced into it?

• 
    Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After a long while, I decided to go back and watch the Batman TAS franchise. There's something that bothers me about the episode from Batman Beyond - Out of the Past, specifically about Ra's and Talia. Keep in mind this is the Batman TAS/DCAU interpretation of Talia, who is arguably different from her comic book and live action counterpart, and is portrayed as a morally gray anti-hero rather than a clear cut villain.

The TAS/DCAU interpretation is accutally pretty close to her original interpretation in the comics. It wasn't untill Morrissons run that she was turned into a villian. And even in "The Resurrection of Ras Al Ghul" her portray was close to the original/the DCAU-Version.

I can't really answer your actual question, since in my opinion both versions are equally possible.

LinkDrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By LinkDrive
    @aahz said:

The TAS/DCAU interpretation is accutally pretty close to her original interpretation in the comics. It wasn't untill Morrissons run that she was turned into a villian. And even in "The Resurrection of Ras Al Ghul" her portray was close to the original/the DCAU-Version.

I can't really answer your actual question, since in my opinion both versions are equally possible.

True. Her DCAU interpretation is fairly close to her original comic version. The only reason why I mentioned her more recent comic iteration is because of a discussion I had with others earlier, who said she would willingly sacrifice herself simply because she is a straight up villain, which is completely untrue as far as her original and DCAU interpretation is concerned.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think she willingly agreed to it. And I must say I was extremely creeped out when it was revealed it was Ra's. I was not OK with that at all.

TakeLuutzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you guys are overthinking it.. I don't think Paul Dini and Bruce Timm gave it this much thought..

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think you guys are overthinking it.. I don't think Paul Dini and Bruce Timm gave it this much thought..

This.

LinkDrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of us cares about the story and relationships revolving around the characters in the DCAU. If you don't care, then that's fine. To me, the original Batman TAS had some pretty good character development considering its episodic nature. In the event of writer neglect, it's only natural that people speculate on the final defining acts of two developed characters.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Why tf did Ra's kiss Batman? Lol that creeped me the f*** out.

LinkDrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LinkDrive

@ultrastarkiller said:

Why tf did Ra's kiss Batman? Lol that creeped me the f*** out.

Assuming this happened after The Near Apocalypse, a better question would be why did Ra's go on a date with Batman in Milan? lol

TakeLuutzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takeluutzen said:

Some of us cares about the story and relationships revolving around the characters in the DCAU. If you don't care, then that's fine. To me, the original Batman TAS had some pretty good character development considering its episodic nature. In the event of writer neglect, it's only natural that people speculate on the final defining acts of two developed characters.

I don't think it should be considered writer neglect. They gave room for fantasy. Nobody knows what the Near Apocalypse of '09 is/was/should be.. Let your imagination flow! Also, the writers could use the Near Apocalypse of '09 as a deux ex machina..

GLEmerald924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@linkdrive: maybe Ra's has a thing for men with big batarangs ;)

LinkDrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@linkdrive said:
    @takeluutzen said:

I don't think it should be considered writer neglect. They gave room for fantasy.

I guess that really depends on your perspective. However, if you compare Batman TAS (seasons 1-3) to Batman Beyond, Batman TAS objectively has more character development and growth. We know more about Alfred than we do Dana. We know more about Robin than we do Max. In fact, very little background and growth was given to the supporting characters and villains of Beyond compared to its predecessor. That said, what did we learn about Ra's al Ghul's and Talia's character in Batman Beyond that we didn't already know from Batman TAS? Nothing. The writers literally gave us a concept (Ra's possessing Talia's body so he can live), without explaining anything that happened between Batman TAS and Beyond, and used that concept to give us an anti-climactic death to two of their recurring characters. They gave the viewers very little reason to care, if any reason at all, about the premise and characters in the episode "Out of this Past", which to me is nothing short of neglect.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.