It's getting rave reviews, almost issue gets 5 stars. I really don't get why.
Here are the biggest problems I've had with the run:
- I don't like the art. Just the style seems...scratchy and it isn't very detailed. I don't think this style of art is suited to the comic, at all.
- I feel like this storyarc should have happened a lot closer to the start of Batman's career. He has been Batman for at least 10 years, and is just now finding out about this epic conspiracy/network that has been in Gotham all of this time? He has never investigated a case with Talons involved previously? He is the worlds greatest detective but only finds aout about them when they target him? i.e. choose to let him know?
- I don't like that Nightwing would have been a Talon. A stupid unnecessary retcon.
- I don't like that Batman was captured and held for a period of time, and we didn't see his attempts to escape. We simply saw the consequences of having been captured/dehydrated/tortured for that long. Batman is known for having plans, backup plans and backup backup plans, for surmising situations and generally finding a way out or a solution to a problem when other heroes could not, even with their powers. Here we didn't even see him try, we only know that he failed. That isn't a good way to tell a Batman story.
- Why is the court targeting Batman all of a sudden? Why are they targeting everyone all of a sudden, which doesn't seem like normal behavior.
- I didn't like that an owl killed the bat that inspired Bruce to be...Batman. We never saw what happened to that bat and it shouldn't matter, but having an owl kill it to show owls are predators of bats....just seems so trite.
- When did the court discover Batman was Bruce? I may have missed this but it seems like a slipup otherwise.
- Now it's going to be the first crossover event in the DCnU. It just seems like it has gone on for much longer than it should have.
Anyone else feel the same way?