I Didn't Get The "Joke" of Death of the Family

#1 Posted by wisforwumbo (6 posts) - - Show Bio

During my initial reading of "Death of the Family," I failed to grasp the concept of the "joke" or the events that alluded to the meaning of it, until I read the reviews of Batman #17. Of course, I now know what the joke is: the Joker disbanded the Bat-family without killing any of its members, or even seriously injuring any of them physically. When looking at the final pages of Batman #17, I thought that when the family is telling Bruce that they aren't available to talk, their captivation by the Joker would only have short term ramifications. The idea that the events that occurred in Death in the Family would extend consequences for a much longer time never graced my mind. Not being able to conceive the message that Snyder had created has made me question my ability to analyze comics to a certain degree (this has happened multiple times with many comics). So, my questions are: how easy was it for you to grasp the concept of Death of the Family? Do you sometimes fail to understand the ideas or ramifications in certain comics?If so, when? Thanks.

#2 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Almost anything can be interpreted as a joke including all life. Interpretation of comic book stories also vary widely and it all depends on the peculiarities of the interpreter. Just learn to love your own interpretation of stories and don't get intimidated by other interpretations, bec we are all fallible creatures.

#3 Posted by wisforwumbo (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.