Hush vs Long Halloween

• 54 results
Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) 8 months, 16 days ago

Poll: Hush vs Long Halloween (36 votes)

Hush 39%
The Long Halloween 61%

which story should i get. i can only afford one. which would you suggest?

#1 Posted by conradoaccorsi (297 posts) - - Show Bio

Have you read Year One? If so, you can get Long Halloween (it's not essencial but it's better)

If you haven't take Hush

#2 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

Long Halloween is the better story. Hush just has really nice artwork.

#3 Posted by LyraFay (2482 posts) - - Show Bio

Long Halloween is fantastic!! Hush is also great but Long Halloween is an classic Batman detective story at its heart!

#4 Edited by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by AllStarSuperman (20304 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: hush isn't great, I haven't read the other

but I know a place you can read them for free....

#6 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

Bad Superman! It's OK if I do that, but not you! We hold you to higher moral standards!

#7 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush isn't that great. Come to think about it, Long Halloween isn't either. Honestly, rereading them now just shows me how poor Loeb's writing actually is.

There are plenty of better Batman comics to spend your dime on. Year One, DKR, Arkham Asylum, Killing Joke, Morrison's run etc.

#8 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio
@veshark said:

Hush isn't that great. Come to think about it, Long Halloween isn't either. Honestly, rereading them now just shows me how poor Loeb's writing actually is.

There are plenty of better Batman comics to spend your dime on. Year One, DKR, Arkham Asylum, Killing Joke, Morrison's run etc.

In honesty, I pretty much have to agree with this.

#9 Posted by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Hush better

#10 Posted by AllStarSuperman (20304 posts) - - Show Bio

@dctv3363 said:

@allstarsuperman said:

Bad Superman! It's OK if I do that, but not you! We hold you to higher moral standards!

sorry, but Superman isn't made of money.

#11 Edited by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@dctv3363 said:

@allstarsuperman said:

But Luthor will win! I can't let you do this Clark. Prepare yourself

#12 Posted by Extremis (3334 posts) - - Show Bio

@dctv3363: Long Halloween also has nice artwork. Tim Sale ftw

#13 Posted by Dm225 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

Long Halloween. Hush wasn't very good at all except the art. Obviously as stated Year One if you haven't read that.

#14 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@dctv3363: Long Halloween also has nice artwork. Tim Sale ftw

I don't really like some of his character designs. Overall it is nice looking though.

#15 Posted by AllStarSuperman (20304 posts) - - Show Bio

@dctv3363 said:

@allstarsuperman said:

@dctv3363 said:

@allstarsuperman said:

#16 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5952 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush

#17 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@dctv3363 said:

@allstarsuperman said:

@dctv3363 said:

@allstarsuperman said:

Ok, ok. You can do it, just don't hurt me anymore! I hope you know you're setting a bad example for the children though.

#18 Posted by 2cool4fun (1362 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush

#19 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1564 posts) - - Show Bio

Long Halloween

#20 Posted by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

LH is pretty good though, the story is good enough and the art is great. even TDK trilogy took some points from LH. If someone reads Year One then he/she should at least give LH a try IMO. @sog7dc Read Long Halloween, it takes place right after Year One, Hush is good too but you need to read some other Batbooks before that.

#21 Edited by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy: i really wanna read batman being a detective so im leaning more towards long halloween

#22 Posted by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Well there's some detective stuff in Hush too, but listen one thing before reading this, don't expect any mind blowing detective stuff from these two, they are good but sometimes expectations underwhelm the work. LH also deals with Batman's relationship with many people of Gotham so you might also enjoy that.

#23 Posted by tupiaz (2172 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@rustyroy: i really wanna read batman being a detective so im leaning more towards long halloween

Long Halloween is by far a better story. Hush is a good popcorn action kind of story but the plot and characters kind of the same (lacy of depth, hollow and which motives are very questionable). TLH on the other hand is a interesting crime noir story that deals with the mob is consequence not only for Gotham but also for the people living there.

#24 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@sog7dc: Well there's some detective stuff in Hush too, but listen one thing before reading this, don't expect any mind blowing detective stuff from these two, they are good but sometimes expectations underwhelm the work. LH also deals with Batman's relationship with many people of Gotham so you might also enjoy that.

man it seems that for batman to be "the worlds greatest detective" he is sorely lacking in the detective/mystery genre. id like to see Ed Brubaker write Batman

#25 Edited by darkbeam (2161 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush, I think the story better,and who can't marvel at Jim Lee art work.

#26 Posted by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@rustyroy said:

man it seems that for batman to be "the worlds greatest detective" he is sorely lacking in the detective/mystery genre. id like to see Ed Brubaker write Batman

He wrote Batman and the detective stuff in LH is good, just not great.

#27 Posted by darkbeam (2161 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: and also are you a fan of the Bat family? Becuase Nightwing,Robin,Oracle,and Huntress are all in Hush.

#28 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkbeam: this is gonna be a tough decision....i may just flip a coin

#29 Posted by darkbeam (2161 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: I know you'll make the right decision,and that right decision is Hush lol.

#30 Edited by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Go for LH, its better and will make more sense since you've just read YO.

#31 Posted by tupiaz (2172 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkbeam said:

Hush, I think the story better,and who can't marvel at Jim Lee art work.

Tim Sale artwork is better and in another league. Jeph Loeb has worked with Tim many times and only worked with Jim because Tim wasn't available.

@darkbeam said:

@sog7dc: and also are you a fan of the Bat family? Becuase Nightwing,Robin,Oracle,and Huntress are all in Hush.

They all play are minor role in the story and aren't real that important for the overall story. Jeph Loeb has always thrown in a lot of characters and villains he does that in The Long Halloween as well (and the follow up story Dark Victory which IMO is also better than Hush).

#32 Edited by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

@darkbeam said:

They all play are minor role in the story and aren't real that important for the overall story. Jeph Loeb has always thrown in a lot of characters and villains he does that in The Long Halloween as well (and the follow up story Dark Victory which IMO is also better than Hush).

Even though there are plenty characters in LH, almost every character gets their time to shine, and the relationships between the characters, even the short ones, are great and each relationship is different than the other.

#33 Edited by MasterDetective (805 posts) - - Show Bio

I despise both. But I think I hate long haloween even more

#34 Posted by tupiaz (2172 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@tupiaz said:

@darkbeam said:

Even though there are plenty characters in LH, almost every character gets their time to shine, and the relationships between the characters, even the short ones, are great and each relationship is different than the other.

Yes in contrary to Hush where some of them don't get a chance to shine or isn't important even though many of them works well and it is impressive that Loeb has so many characters tied to a single story.

#35 Posted by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

Yes in contrary to Hush where some of them don't get a chance to shine or isn't important even though many of them works well and it is impressive that Loeb has so many characters tied to a single story.

Yeah, my personal favorite is Harvey, Gordon and Bruce's relationship, we get a glimpse of Harvey and Batman's partnership in YO but here its more fleshed out, I wish there were more pre-Two Face Harvey stories.

#36 Posted by silent_bomber (1518 posts) - - Show Bio

Long Halloween is OK, Hush is pretty much garbage.

Long Halloween at least tries to be a mystery story, Hush is just cameo encounters, fights, and a flimsy plot tying them together.

Unfortunately Long Halloween is one of those mystery stories where you get the feeling that the writer planned out next to nothing in advance, just making it up as he went along throwing in red herrings and such without actually deciding who the bad guy was himself until very close to the end, at which point he just threw something together that didn't really work that well.

As far as I'm concerned Long Halloween is just the M. Night Shyamalan version of Two-Face: Eye of the Beholder anyway. It takes most of the plot from that story, and then cuts out important scenes to make space for irrelevant distractions.

#37 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@veshark said:

LH is pretty good though, the story is good enough and the art is great. even TDK trilogy took some points from LH. If someone reads Year One then he/she should at least give LH a try IMO. @sog7dc Read Long Halloween, it takes place right after Year One, Hush is good too but you need to read some other Batbooks before that.

Long Halloween has some interesting ideas; like the alliance between Bats-Jim-Harvey, and the eventual fall of Dent. The art of Tim Sale is also flawless, and there are some things in it that are good. But I feel that it isn't as great a Batman story as everyone makes it out to be. It's not terrible, but it's hardly one of the best.

Batman taking an entire year, and still failing to solve the identity of the killer in the end is just sad. The Alberto plot twist was silly and made little sense. I don't understand the motives of Gilda-Harvey, wanted 'more time together', really? The use of Godfather tropes also left a bad taste in my mouth. Falcone being 'Vito', the comic starts out with a wedding, the death of Maroni's father in the garden, a bunch of lines...just felt lazy, not 'homage-ish'.

Basically it felt poorly-plotted and thought-out, only coming across as a smart Batman story because of the strength of its premise and the gothic tone of the art. Also, did anyone notice that one random panel where Falcone has a thought bubble....and it's the lone thought bubble in the entire series? What was up with that?

#38 Posted by silent_bomber (1518 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@rustyroy said:

@veshark said:

Long Halloween has some interesting ideas; like the alliance between Bats-Jim-Harvey, and the eventual fall of Dent.

That's all just taken from Eye of the Beholder though.

Long Halloween doesn't really have an original idea in it to be honest.

#39 Posted by Billy Batson (57798 posts) - - Show Bio

Long Halloween at least tries to be a mystery story, Hush is just cameo encounters, fights, and a flimsy plot tying them together.

Unfortunately Long Halloween is one of those mystery stories where you get the feeling that the writer planned out next to nothing in advance, just making it up as he went along throwing in red herrings and such without actually deciding who the bad guy was himself until very close to the end, at which point he just threw something together that didn't really work that well.

As far as I'm concerned Long Halloween is just the M. Night Shyamalan version of Two-Face: Eye of the Beholder anyway. It takes most of the plot from that story, and then cuts out important scenes to make space for irrelevant distractions.

@veshark said:

Long Halloween has some interesting ideas; like the alliance between Bats-Jim-Harvey, and the eventual fall of Dent. The art of Tim Sale is also flawless, and there are some things in it that are good. But I feel that it isn't as great a Batman story as everyone makes it out to be. It's not terrible, but it's hardly one of the best.

Batman taking an entire year, and still failing to solve the identity of the killer in the end is just sad. The Alberto plot twist was silly and made little sense. I don't understand the motives of Gilda-Harvey, wanted 'more time together', really? The use of Godfather tropes also left a bad taste in my mouth. Falcone being 'Vito', the comic starts out with a wedding, the death of Maroni's father in the garden, a bunch of lines...just felt lazy, not 'homage-ish'.

Basically it felt poorly-plotted and thought-out, only coming across as a smart Batman story because of the strength of its premise and the gothic tone of the art. Also, did anyone notice that one random panel where Falcone has a thought bubble....and it's the lone thought bubble in the entire series? What was up with that?

http://whatculture.com/comics/7-reasons-why-batman-the-long-halloween-is-the-most-overrated-batman-book-ever.php

BB

#40 Posted by tupiaz (2172 posts) - - Show Bio

@silent_bomber: A story doesn't need to be original to be good even though it often helps.

@rustyroy said:

@tupiaz said:

Yeah, my personal favorite is Harvey, Gordon and Bruce's relationship, we get a glimpse of Harvey and Batman's partnership in YO but here its more fleshed out, I wish there were more pre-Two Face Harvey stories.

Indeed it is.

#41 Edited by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

I had a problem with those things too, that's why I told Sog7DC that it will be a little bit underwhelming, still its an enjoyable story when you ignore those things, Batman was an amateur back then(this should not be a excuse but I don't have any better), that more-time-together thing is actually used many times in fiction, in IC it was used too, and yeah the Godfather homages were lazy but I actually read LH before I watched Godfather, so it didn't bother me, just like it doesn't bother me that, Batman took too much from Zorro. Anyways I think its enjoyable enough for a Batman fan to read it at least once and Sale's art is too good here to miss, and at the end the good things outweigh the bad things, its a good book IMO. And yeah there was only one though bubble, other's were given a box lol. And let's block spoilers.

#42 Posted by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read that, who's the writer?

#43 Edited by silent_bomber (1518 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@silent_bomber said:

I haven't read that, who's the writer?

Andrew Helfer, he didn't write much else for Batman though, just some shorts here and there.

Eye of the Beholder (Batman Annual #14) is one of the most highly regarded Batman annuals.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/04/28/the-greatest-two-face-stories-ever-told/2/

#44 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@veshark said:

I had a problem with those things too, that's why I told Sog7DC that it will be a little bit underwhelming, still its an enjoyable story when you ignore those things, Batman was an amateur back then(this should not be a excuse but I don't have any better), that more-time-together thing is actually used many times in fiction, in IC it was used too, and yeah the Godfather homages were lazy but I actually read LH before I watched Godfather, so it didn't bother me, just like it doesn't bother me that, Batman took too much from Zorro. Anyways I think its enjoyable enough for a Batman fan to read it at least once and Sale's art is too good here to miss, and at the end the good things outweigh the bad things, its a good book IMO. And yeah there was only one though bubble, other's were given a box lol. And let's block spoilers.

Schhhaaa...yikes sorry, it's just I'm so used to that story having been read by everyone that I forgot to spoiler-block. I found the book enjoyable in my first go-around, but the more I read it, the more nonsensical Loeb's plot comes across to me. I guess every Batfan should read this one at least once, but I still think there are better Bat books out there to dip into.

#45 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally loved both, but I do think that the Long Halloween had a better story than Hush.

#46 Posted by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

Schhhaaa...yikes sorry, it's just I'm so used to that story having been read by everyone that I forgot to spoiler-block. I found the book enjoyable in my first go-around, but the more I read it, the more nonsensical Loeb's plot comes across to me. I guess every Batfan should read this one at least once, but I still think there are better Bat books out there to dip into.

I haven't read the book for a long time, hardly read it 2-3 times(too long), but yeah I agree with you, there are many better Batbooks out there, still between Hush and LH. I think LH is more important, maybe not the better book but definitely more important.

#47 Posted by Dud317 (286 posts) - - Show Bio

Both have inspired sequels. Dark Victory follows up after Long Halloween, with another book called Haunted Knight, which some say takes place in between, but many agree is stand alone. Heart of Hush, written by Paul Dini not Jeph Loeb, is an okay story. Overall, I would go with Long Halloween as you'll see more inspiration for. The Nolanverse Batman.

#48 Edited by Bezza (3413 posts) - - Show Bio

I despise both. But I think I hate long haloween even more

Really?! Was flicking through Hush earlier today and loved it. Its on my Christmas list together with TDKR and Dark Knight Vol1, Knight Terrors....

#49 Edited by Extremis (3334 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both but I actually voted for Hush

It's more a "superhero" story than a "detective" story like LH.

#50 Posted by Azrael_Online (186 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to go with the 'to each their own' approach really. LH is a decent story and definitely one to read after Year One for sure, especially if you're a fan of Two-Face. Personally I prefer the screwiness of Hush. In aggreeance of the fact that the artwork of Jim Lee is far superior to Tim Sale's. I also love the fact that we get Jason Todd in there. That was my initial reason to buy Hush Vol. 1 and 2 (I got it before it was collected as one) plus I kept reading about everyone raving about it, so I had to check it out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.