Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

How would you write him: Batman

• 75 results
    Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Twentyfive

First of all, please don't say "I'd write him the same way Mr./Mrs. XYZ would write him". I don't want to read that. I want to read from the fans what they would incorporate into a Batman story of their own telling. So, I want to know. How would you write a Batman story?

• How will you characterize the city of Gotham?
    • Will the citizens play a role, as in get kidnapped, etc. or just be in the background?
    • What other hero, if any, will cameo or guest star?
    • What villain would you pit the Caped Crusader against?
    • What will the stakes be?
    • Most important of all, which costume will he wear? (Blue/Grey/Yellow Circle is my favorite Batman costume)

I just want to know what you guys think. If I get a response, I'll tell you how I might write for him.

VenomousDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By VenomousDragon

watch the nolan movies. I hate how batman is supposed to be a normal human but continues to do things beyond what a normal human is capable of.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Twentyfive

@VenomousDragon: Thanks for your honesty. Thing I hate most about that movie is the fanbase it spawned. Second most annoying fanbase ever assembled, behind only Dragon Ball. But that is not for this discussion.

Another thing I hate is the fact that people think they can actually relate to Batman. He's just as unrelatable as Superman, but whatever.

MadRooster81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MadRooster81

I like the idea of a dark Batman. Done in grey scale no color. Gotham City is falling apart and is dark and full of crime. It's be written like a psychological thriller. Suspense around every corner. I'd start with Riddler, a villain to get inside Batman's head and the reader.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Twentyfive

@cjbostick81: I'm still waiting for that awesome Riddler story, man. He is SO awesome, and hasn't been done to death.

FrankenKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By FrankenKong

First off we see Gotham first in the day time. Looking at the splendor of its Gothic architecture and seeing people doing their daily things. Then when the sun goes down the true horrors of the city come out to play. Random citizens become victims, criminals become bolder and crazier by night. Batman awakens in the dark to strike unbridled fear into the hearts and minds of those who do evil. James Gordon ever vigilant would inform Batman that political figure head Mr. Joe Bag-O-Donuts (real name withheld) has been kidnapped by the business wise and cunning carnivore The Penguin. Guest starring Catwoman taunting and tailing our hero Batman on his mission. Will Batman arrive to the Iceberg Lounge in time? What monstrous methods does The Penguin have in-store for his captive and would be captor? And is Catwoman along for the ride for personal gain? or the greater good?..... tune in next week to find out!

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Gambit1024

I'd make him gay.

Annex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Annex
    Dark with a noir atmosphere as per usual with the batman genre, but with a difference that it will be more of a old western with martial arts instead of guns.
    • Will the citizens play a role, as in get kidnapped, etc. or just be in the background.
    Killed off to fuel his rage and as mentors.
    The Question as an informant, Cassandra Cain as a wandering ally
    Bane, League of Assasins, Cobra, Ra's Al Ghul, Sensei, Lady Shiva, Deathstroke, Court of Owls and more close quarters based opponents.
    His life (batman is dying) and gotham city
    • Most important of all, which costume will he wear? (Blue/Grey/Yellow Circle is my favorite Batman costume)
    Traditional suit

My version is more focused to his martial arts side, like the one previous to the prep time batman. His opponents (goons) will be more guile and stealthy some even better than the bats. The city will accommodate more dynamic battles with its shifting environment, his allies will be more mysterious than ever. His enemies will be more ruthless, and every fight will take something out of the batman leading to a final death that will mark an eternal legacy. The night will be a fireworks of human combat while the day will be bruce's terminal illness.
    MadRooster81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MadRooster81

@Twentyfive: Oh for sure. I think there is a dark side to Riddler that could come out and really be used in a new way. Although I'm sure someone has tried it, but nothing stands out at me now.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Superguy0009e

I would try to go for a Under the Hood sort of feel: a realistic superhero in an unrealistic world.

edge0076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By edge0076
  • How will you characterize the city of Gotham? Probably as a city that's often seen as on the brink of becoming as great as NYC, but due to it's crime rates, never quite makes it there. That said, if Batman were never there, it probably would've taken a nose dive to below Detroit levels.
  • Will the citizens play a role, as in get kidnapped, etc. or just be in the background. I'd probably use Crime Alley, Leslie Thomkins' clinic, the Wayne Foundation, and the Gotham City Police Department as the major settings of my story, hence, I'd probably use Leslie Thomkins, theMajor Crimes Unit consisting of Gordon, Bullock, Montoya, Bock, and Crispus Allenand the various people from those other places in this story as well.
  • What other hero, if any, will cameo or guest star? Catwoman if she counts (the Ed Brubaker/Darwyn Cooke version, not the Judd Winick, Jeph Loeb, or Jim Balent version. I know the OP didn't want anyone name dropping specific creators, but I just felt like I had to be specific here considering the Brubaker/Cooke version is my absolute favorite and really don't care for the other versions at all).
  • What villain would you pit the Caped Crusader against? The main one would probably be Zeiss, who would covertly be trying to turn Gotham's organized crime families against each other to clear the way for a new player to take over.
  • What will the stakes be? Crime Alley and it's citizens.
  • Most important of all, which costume will he wear? (Blue/Grey/Yellow Circle is my favorite Batman costume) The Year One costume.
    Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Twentyfive

@edge0076 said:

• How will you characterize the city of Gotham? Probably as a city that's often seen as on the brink of becoming as great as NYC, but due to it's crime rates, never quite makes it there. That said, if Batman were never there, it probably would've taken a nose dive to below Detroit levels.
  • Will the citizens play a role, as in get kidnapped, etc. or just be in the background. I'd probably use Crime Alley, Leslie Thomkins' clinic, the Wayne Foundation, and the Gotham City Police Department as the major settings of my story, hence, I'd probably use Leslie Thomkins, theMajor Crimes Unit consisting of Gordon, Bullock, Montoya, Bock, and Crispus Allenand the various people from those other places in this story as well.
  • What other hero, if any, will cameo or guest star? Catwoman if she counts (the Ed Brubaker/Darwyn Cooke version, not the Judd Winick, Jeph Loeb, or Jim Balent version. I know the OP didn't want anyone name dropping specific creators, but I just felt like I had to be specific here considering the Brubaker/Cooke version is my absolute favorite and really don't care for the other versions at all).
  • What villain would you pit the Caped Crusader against? The main one would probably be Zeiss, who would covertly be trying to turn Gotham's organized crime families against each other to clear the way for a new player to take over.
  • What will the stakes be? Crime Alley and it's citizens.
  • Most important of all, which costume will he wear? (Blue/Grey/Yellow Circle is my favorite Batman costume) The Year One costume.
  • Oh, don't worry about that name dropping part. I loved your post, and you obviously put effort into it. What I meant in my OP was that I would not really like to read from people "I would write Batman exactly the way Scott Snyder does, and I wouldn't change anything.", or "The way Grant Morrison wrote Batman, that's how I would do it". You, on the other hand, obviously want to take certain aspects of a character, or characters already established, and incorporate them into your story, which I have no problem with. I love your response. Your setting, your villain's goals, and especially the supporting cast of the book. I love seeing Renee Montoya, and Jim Gordon, as they are my favorite major non-Bat characters in Gotham. Thank you for posting.

MadRooster81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MadRooster81

I got to thinking, what if Thomas and Martha Wayne were never killed and Bruce never became Batman. What would Gotham City be like then? I think that would make an interesting read. How Gotham fare without a Batman or maybe Dad and Son team up and become something else to save the city. IDK, I always liked what if kind of stories and see what a writer would do with it.

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By batmanary
    • Gotham is a dark city with an intricate set up of mob bosses (super villains). Two-Face, Black Mask and a faction of the League of Assassins all working within the system. Joker, Riddler and Penguin are more like information brokers and doing their own thing.
    • Will the citizens play a role, as in get kidnapped, etc. or just be in the background.
    • The citizens would continuously feature in backstories....maybe a mob enforcer, an old lady, a cop....each of them will feature in the backup after Batman's story.
    • The Question will serve as Batman's mentor, helping him with info, mysteriously leaving him messages and preparing him for Gotham. In fact, the Question would be the one who'd push Bruce Wayne on his trek against crime as a way to work his parents' deaths into something productive.
    • Carmine Falcone. Let Batman deal with the Falcones again and slowly move in to the return of the rogues.
    • His whole career and life. The Question's life. The morality of the city and the very city itself. Batman is Gotham. Gotham is Batman.
    • Start off with Black suit , completely armored, akin to the movies....move into wearing grey overshirt with traditional elements to demonstrate how Gotham needs a symbol.
    Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Twentyfive

Awesome!! I'm still getting it replies to my OP. I will soon post my own input on my Batman story after I've given it some thought.

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tyler Starke
    • How will you characterize the city of Gotham? Dark
    • Will the citizens play a role, as in get kidnapped, etc. or just be in the background. Dead Hostages
    • What other hero, if any, will cameo or guest star? None
    • What villain would you pit the Caped Crusader against? Calender Man
    • What will the stakes be? Lunch
    • Most important of all, which costume will he wear? (Blue/Grey/Yellow Circle is my favorite Batman costume) Current costume

Edit: I'm doing a serious one now cause I just pooped in your forum essentially and feel bad awwwww

MadRooster81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MadRooster81

I'd love to see a comic drawn out like Batman: Arkham City

[URL=http://good-wallpapers.com/games/13648][IMG]http://good-wallpapers.com/wallpapers/13648/small_Batman%20Arkham%20City.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I love this art style. Really cool!

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By RoboShark

How will you characterize the city of Gotham? Helpless muhahahaha

Will the citizens play a role, as in get kidnapped, etc. or just be in the background? Most definitely

What other hero, if any, will cameo or guest star? Simon Dark!

What villain would you pit the Caped Crusader against? Zsaz, he needs a arc where he is not so easily defeated. Make him a major rouge.

What will the stakes be? Zsaz would have Alfred somewhere. Which would obviously mean he knew his identity.

Most important of all, which costume will he wear? Classic yellow chest piece.

germandinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By germandinner
    • How will you characterize the city of Gotham? Gotham City has generally been a constant, dark place, with little moments of light here and there. For my story, I will want to show Gotham as a constantly changing place. I will do this by contrasting new vs. old; I will have new, shining buildings that reach the sky standing next to old, broken down ones far near the Earth. I will initially present this contrast as a way the readers would expect: the old, which are filled with homeless druggies and thugs, and the new, where people who are striving for the betterment of Gotham reside. Bruce will also think this way, seeing himself as a champion for those who want the betterment of Gotham. However, as the story I write progresses, I will try to make it clear that there is good and bad in both places. In my story, Gotham is not a black, dark, hopeless city. It is a grey city. I will also try to draw upon Western (Wild West, Cowboys, etc.), Eastern (Ninjas, etc.), and gangster elements and mix them together, because although generally Gotham is presented as a place for gangsters, it ultimately has the potential, and it has been characterized this way in the past, to be all three of these things.
    • Will the citizens play a role, as in get kidnapped, etc. or just be in the background? They will play a role. In fact, I would try to bring in two brothers on opposite ends of the spectrum, one involved in crime, the other a doctor, as main players in the story, to try to bring out the theme between old vs. new, where the criminal element of Gotham may not be as evil as those on top.
    • What other hero, if any, will cameo or guest star? Deadman, Nightwing, and Cassandra Cain.
    • What villain would you pit the Caped Crusader against? I would most likely put Batman up against a villain of my own creation, and although I do not know who that would be, he or she would be someone who does not care, someone who is apathetic, laid-back. He does not have a mission. He's not even like Joker, who is crazy and random. This person is consistent and sane, but just does not feel like anything can be done to save Gotham and does not bother to do any good or any evil. His only special power or ability is that he cannot die or age, for whatever reason. With no feeling of consequences to his actions, he does whatever he wants, unintentionally causing trouble for Batman, as opposed to his other villains who are out to get him. Batman is very ambitious and motivated. This man is just the opposite. I would also involve Two-Face in some sort of gangster subplot, a dying Killer Croc, and the Joker.
    • What will the stakes be? Gotham City's next big step: it cannot remain a grey city forever, or at least that's an idea I'll bring forth. In it's next big step, will it become worse or better off, and what will Batman or his enemies be willing to do to get their way?
    • Most important of all, which costume will he wear? Something similar to his Year One Costume, although it may change as the story progresses.
    Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Twentyfive

@germandinner: Awesome. Thanks for the response, which I see you have given an abundance of thought.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By KainScion

less PIS.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would mix Chuck Dixon with Morrison, give something of the TAS and Nolanverse Batman.

Also re create the Robin as just a trainning gimmick and make them teen side kick and never child side kicks.

EvanTheMexiJew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23  Edited By EvanTheMexiJew

I would turn Batman back into an urban myth amongst criminals, having him use his cape, costume, etc. to made him seem less human. He would also use his stealth and martial arts skills more often. I would have the Joker be more manic than openly insane. The villains like Penguin and Bane would be more realistic. All of Batman's main rogues gallery would be more calculating and scheming. Every cop except for Comish. Gordon is against what Batman is doing. Bruce is now around 37, he adopted Grayson when he was 24 and Dick was 12, making Dick 25, Jason 25, Tim 18 and Damian 13ish.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Twentyfive

@KainScion said:

less PIS.

Sir, I like you already.

Reality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Reality

Like Batman. Ha.

merlot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By merlot

I've personally thought of a few over time. One would be a psychological thriller similar to Shutter Island where it is eventually revealed that Bruce Wayne is a patient at Arkham Asylum and his rogues gallery consists mainly of fellow patients and doctors in Arkham. I feel like you could do a ton with this story.

A more direct response to your question:

• How will you characterize the city of Gotham? I would paint Gotham as a mix between Detroit and New York, definitely. Very dark and moody, overcast all the time unless its summer, when its unbearably hot. Its violent and scary and is the butt of a lot of jokes from outsiders. It used to be a mecca decades ago, almost as rich and metropolitan as New York, but crime devoured it over time.
    • Will the citizens play a role, as in get kidnapped, etc. or just be in the background? The citizens would be the daytime POV. If I'm not showing you the world through Batman or Bruce's eyes, you would be living inside the citizens heads and hearts. I would use them mostly as a way to tell the reader how the city feels in relation to the crime and Batman.
    • What other hero, if any, will cameo or guest star? This is the one I've had the hardest time with. I'd like to use The Question but I can't think of a way I'd be able to use him in this specific story the way I'd like to. I'd also want to use Superman so I could personally explore the relationship between him and Batman. Hint, they would not like each other at all. This story takes place toward the beginning of the Batman mythos, so I wouldn't include Robin. Since Gotham is located in New Jersey, I'd consider using Blue Beetle (II) as a passing acquaintance of Batman's, one Batman doesn't actually pity or consider a hindrance. Hint, he would definitely consider Superman a hindrance.
    • What villain would you pit the Caped Crusader against? For a few years, Batman has been singlehandedly taking down the mob and now The Penguin has taken hold of all of Gotham's rackets. He's involved in drugs, human trafficking, weapons, and small stuff too. He employs The Joker as a sort of foil for Batman, allowing him to do and take whatever he wants so long as Batman stays far away from Penguin's domain. An overarching story would be The Joker's puppeteering of The Penguin, allowing him to believe he was in control when in reality, The Joker is pulling all the strings.
    • What will the stakes be? As always, Batman's life and the safety of Gotham's citizens. I'd imagine I would steal something away from the Nolanverse and put Gordon's family in the forefront, allowing them to be the emotional crux of the story after they're taken hostage and their lives hang in the balance.
    • Most important of all, which costume will he wear? Definitely the original black and grey. I'd want it to be all-black, but I've never seen them do a satisfying all-black costume in the comics.
    Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Twentyfive

@KainScion: For sure, my friend. Batman himself at times is PIS. It annoys me to bounds unknown to this universe.

@merlot: I like your response a lot. One major difference between yours and mine would be that mine would take place during the winter. The crazier crimes occur during the winter, because the cowards hate the cold. Winter is long, cold and dark. The longest season.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ComicStooge

@merlot said:

I've personally thought of a few over time. One would be a psychological thriller similar to Shutter Island where it is eventually revealed that Bruce Wayne is a patient at Arkham Asylum and his rogues gallery consists mainly of fellow patients and doctors in Arkham. I feel like you could do a ton with this story.

A more direct response to your question:

• How will you characterize the city of Gotham? I would paint Gotham as a mix between Detroit and New York, definitely. Very dark and moody, overcast all the time unless its summer, when its unbearably hot. Its violent and scary and is the butt of a lot of jokes from outsiders. It used to be a mecca decades ago, almost as rich and metropolitan as New York, but crime devoured it over time.
    • Will the citizens play a role, as in get kidnapped, etc. or just be in the background? The citizens would be the daytime POV. If I'm not showing you the world through Batman or Bruce's eyes, you would be living inside the citizens heads and hearts. I would use them mostly as a way to tell the reader how the city feels in relation to the crime and Batman.
    • What other hero, if any, will cameo or guest star? This is the one I've had the hardest time with. I'd like to use The Question but I can't think of a way I'd be able to use him in this specific story the way I'd like to. I'd also want to use Superman so I could personally explore the relationship between him and Batman. Hint, they would not like each other at all. This story takes place toward the beginning of the Batman mythos, so I wouldn't include Robin. Since Gotham is located in New Jersey, I'd consider using Blue Beetle (II) as a passing acquaintance of Batman's, one Batman doesn't actually pity or consider a hindrance. Hint, he would definitely consider Superman a hindrance.
    • What villain would you pit the Caped Crusader against? For a few years, Batman has been singlehandedly taking down the mob and now The Penguin has taken hold of all of Gotham's rackets. He's involved in drugs, human trafficking, weapons, and small stuff too. He employs The Joker as a sort of foil for Batman, allowing him to do and take whatever he wants so long as Batman stays far away from Penguin's domain. An overarching story would be The Joker's puppeteering of The Penguin, allowing him to believe he was in control when in reality, The Joker is pulling all the strings.
    • What will the stakes be? As always, Batman's life and the safety of Gotham's citizens. I'd imagine I would steal something away from the Nolanverse and put Gordon's family in the forefront, allowing them to be the emotional crux of the story after they're taken hostage and their lives hang in the balance.
    • Most important of all, which costume will he wear? Definitely the original black and grey. I'd want it to be all-black, but I've never seen them do a satisfying all-black costume in the comics.

I generally like this idea, but why would anyone want to live in your Gotham City?

merlot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By merlot

@ComicStooge said:

I generally like this idea, but why would anyone want to live in your Gotham City?

I think out of necessity. It would be a lot like Year One and Nolan's movies. Its a great place to live if you're rich, but a terrible place to live if you're not. But its cheap and you learn to survive.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ComicStooge

@merlot: Would someone like Tim Drake's dad be rick or poor?

merlot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By merlot

@ComicStooge: Obviously rich, why do you ask?

@Twentyfive: Thanks! I agree, I would probably start it or finish it in the Winter. I only mentioned Summer to detail how miserable Gotham is, no matter what.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ComicStooge

@merlot: Dunno, because your Gotham is interesting in that it would change some of the people in it.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

Dark and corrupt. Gangs, drug dealers, and of course supervillains

• Will the citizens play a role, as in get kidnapped, etc. or just be in the background?

Sometimes yes, they would play a role. Not to a MAJOR degree, but they'd get some spotlight

Superman and Flash

Two-Face. He needs a good arc.

The entire city of Gotham and New Jersey

His second costume from The Dark Knight

No Caption Provided
    sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By sj_esposito

Oh man... this is such a good thread. So many cool ideas, guys.

I, personally, have a few Gotham City stories in mind should I ever leave science to become a comic book writer (highly, highly unlikely).

1. This is a Batman story from the point of view of the 'common' criminal--the thug, henchman, muscle, what have you. I'd particularly create a narrator and main character as a rough, nasty and seasoned criminal, who 'freelances' for different gangs and believes his way of life is 'doing what he has to do' to get by--it's all he knows and violence rules his life. This gives you the opportunity to use more than one of the rogues in the story and show how they are all different to the ecology of Gotham. And I'd tell a story of fear and legend, with the narrator dealing with living under the fear of running into The Dark Knight and how it plays psychologically into the minds of all the criminals in the city. I have a plot in mind, but it's really inconsequential to the fact that I just want to do a story showing the decay of the city, the corruption of the GCPD, and the fear of living in a city under the fist of a vigilante like Batman from the aspect of a street-level thug. In this story, Batman would be a shadowy, almost intangible, figure of brutality and justice (you have to think... here's a guy that puts on a suit at night and goes out and beats the crap out of criminals, breaks limbs and stuff. Non-lethal is not non-brutal). Gotham would be dark and neo-gothic, with most of the story taking place in the alleys, subways, bars, and slums--no rooftop jumping here! I'd keep the supporting cast to a select few recognizable faces such as Gordon and some rogues.
    2. This story would be more of a classic Batman detective story. I'd want to do Batman on a tough case, with the Calendar Man at the center. I want to channel the energy of Year One, TLH and DV, with Batman being a grey-suited, long cape and cowled, detective. I'd show the relationship between Bruce and Alfred, because I think it's Bruce's only real relationship and I'd probably keep Dick, Tim and Damian out of it. Jim Gordon would definitely play a role, probably acting as an insider and intel-man for Batman. The actual case that i'd have Batman working would be a nasty one--and not some corny crap, like poisoning the water supply--something along the lines of serial murders. I think what would set this story apart from some others would be that I would want the crimes to be seemingly totally unmotivated to affect Batman in anyway. For example, I wouldn't want all the murders to be about the Calendar Man getting to Batman or Bruce Wayne; I'd want Calendar Man to be committing the atrocities because he's a psychopathic killer and not because he has a vendetta--I'd write Batman as having to adjust his game plan to cope with this and just having to deal with evil being done for evil's sake on a very visceral level.

Okay, I'm done now... ;)

lorderosed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How will you characterize the city of Gotham?

Gotham City would be a dark city. The story would take place after Batman finally defeats The Joker, but the crime rate grows even bigger.

No Caption Provided

Will the citizens play a role, as in get kidnapped, etc. or just be in the background?

Most of the time, they'll just be in the background, but many might as well get involved in the action.
    What other hero, if any, will cameo or guest star?

I would like to see a nice Batman story, doing everything by himself along with Alfred and Mr. Lucius Fox. But if there is to be a guest hero, I would choose Spawn.

No Caption Provided

What villain would you pit the Caped Crusader against?

I wouldn't make a short story. I would like to make as many chapters as can be made, so there won't be a single villain in the story. But I would begin with The Scarecrow. As The Joker is thought to be dead (alive and well in the Asylum), The Scarecrow would try to use his drug to bring fear in the hearts of the people of Gotham. After that, I would play with Harvey Dent's Two Face, Riddler and so on. Of course, at one point The Joker must come back in the game. But I wouldn't make him a prankster or a maniac person. I would like to portray him as the Heath Ledger's Joker. A psychopath criminal who kills for his own amusement.

'Some men just like to watch the world burn' - I love that Joker
    What will the stakes be?

Gotham and the citizens.
    Most important of all, which costume will he wear? (Blue/Grey/Yellow Circle is my favorite Batman costume)

I'd like The Dark Knight second costume, but everything would work well, except for the Year One costume.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

wyjim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By wyjim

Goblin of Gotham:

A dark elf trickster is taken to a mysterious island in the Caribbean, sometime in the past. He's being taken there by four wraith-like cloaked figures who plan to sacrifice him. Stopping the ceremony is a bat. As a result the the wraith-like figures become goat creatures because the ceremony was not complete. The trickster starts to kill the goats, but the bat stops him, revealing to him a story that his parents were killed by a snake and he's against murder.

Fast much time later and people begin to inhabit the island. Giving it a very mixed culture. The story of the bat and the trickster and the wraiths/goats becomes folklore. In the middle of the city is an old building that houses a low rent private eye named G. Batty. He in truth is the elf trickster. His partner is the bat. They have a straight man, crazy man team who investigate and try to stop suspicious and paranormal activity on the island before it gets too out of hand.

The goats still remain, bringing an ominous presence around situations of violent crime and disaster.

The bat often hangs from the elf's ear like an earring. The elf uses dirty fighting instead of more refined tactics like Batman and illusion casting to strike fear, not being able to give in to his more chaotic and murderous instincts thanks to his long friendship with the bat. The trickster is a lot off his rocker, and the bat is the more logical, deductive of the duo.

They have their own gallery of strange rogues. I'll go into that later.

Instead of a batcave, they keep their secret lair in the belfry above their office.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

Id put Gotham as very thriving during the day and crime ridden at night.

Id have the citizens be back ground but on occasion get kidnapped, try to stop crime, and what not.

Id have Batman try stopping armed robberies, mob bosses, or meta human threats to the city. Id have him team up with Selena Mostly and zatanna sometime since the Robin incident.

Id have higher tier villains but not story arc after story arc.

Id write Batman as always prepared and always with a plan. Hed be cold to people but they would know he cared.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

• How will you characterize the city of Gotham? Worst than Detroit
    • Will the citizens play a role, as in get kidnapped, etc. or just be in the background? Background and mean peasants
    • What other hero, if any, will cameo or guest star? John Goodman
    • What villain would you pit the Caped Crusader against? Wilson Fisk
    • What will the stakes be? The whole country is at risk
    • Most important of all, which costume will he wear? (Blue/Grey/Yellow Circle is my favorite Batman costume) Blue and Grey one
    ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, if I was tasked with writing Batman, I'd prefer to write Terry McGinnis in Neo Gotham.
    With that in mind...

• I'd characterize Neo Gotham as more a rough city. Lots of firefights, and not the kind of place to be out alone (and sometimes not even in a group,) at night. Gangs of old Bat foes roam the streets (The Jokers and The Riddlerz mostly. A few Killer Crocs (KCs.)) and it's a city virtually ruled by organized crime by the descendents of Black Mask, Dent, Falcone, and Penguin. The Court of Owls also exists into the future, but known as a social club, (though the true motives aren't known to the people.)

• The citizens are somewhat downtrodden. People don't want to live in Gotham. Some can't or refuse to leave, but there's an ever-encompassing sense of dread in the city, save for the Gated Communities who kind of look down on everyone else and pretend Gotham is perfect. Mostly old money types.

• I'd like to introduce a new version of Azrael into the mix, as well as a new Robin for Terry. Possibly even Superman Secundus when things become too much for Terry to handle. I think adding the element of learning to work in a team by having Robin, knowing that he's not alone in his fight to protect Neo Gotham and bring it into the Light with Azrael, and knowing that he has friends in high places like Superman Secundus would be a great way to add more to the story/series.

• I'd personally think more about creating a new villain for Terry to face, but I'd like it to be someone that can come back and has a lot of depth (wouldn't we all?) Perhaps some sort of evil ritual resurrects Terry's Father (having discovered the name from old Cadmus files, but not Terry's identity.) The figure has a vague idea of what his old life was, but is more monster than machine and fights Terry, never finishing him for some reason he can't fathom, but leaving a trail of destruction more often than not.

• The stakes will be what they've always been, for the most part. Gotham, but on a more personal level, following the death of Bruce (and him being named sole inheritor of the Wayne estate,) Terry trying to balance his life out and not become like Bruce, in that he can have a life outside of the Batsuit with Dayna. At the same time, his place in the Batman Family and Superhero community in general and where he stands.

• I think I'd keep the Beyond suit as it was. Maybe a few more details, but nothing big added.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

• Gotham will be portrayed the a dark, gritty city though has some nostalgic looks to it. Old cathedrals will be shown more, art deco looks, more boarded up buildings, less shiny. I think Gotham has been to shiny and to techno recently.
    • Shows citizens from all walks of life. They will be mainly background characters mostly though I would love to do some stories from a citizen point of view. Kinda like a Batman version of Marvels. Other times I might use them just to tell a story from there point of view getting kidnapped or something. Kinda hard to explain.
    • Robin. Robin would be featured heavily. I love the concept of Robin and really thinks it brings out more interesting stories. I am a Robin fanboy. Batgirl would be seen time from time. Some heroes would visit for an issue. Maybe some Atom, Zatanna, Black Canary, Elongated Man, Green Arrow and Speedy, Wonder Woman, Alan Scott. I would bring in Nightwing to guest star as well as Red Robin. I think Red Hood would be better off doing his own thing.
    • The villains would be a mix of everyone. I love the villains and I love to see them all get love. I hate it when in the comics for a run they'll only focus on certain villains and push others to background. I want them all to have at least one starring role.
    • Stakes. I guess just the safety of others, protecting himself, and safety of Robin and his other partners I'll be pairing him up with. The usual.
    • Purple gloves suit.
    SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

You'll see one day. I'm not sharing my ideas on a public forum, though. That's for sure.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bunch of pictures coming.

@twentyfive said:

First of all, please don't say "I'd write him the same way Mr./Mrs. XYZ would write him". I don't want to read that. I want to read from the fans what they would incorporate into a Batman story of their own telling. So, I want to know. How would you write a Batman story?

I just want to know what you guys think. If I get a response, I'll tell you how I might write for him.

1.I would base it in my México City, Detroit and Hong Kong, with 80s Kowloon.

Here we have a bunch of Art Deco, sadly people its putting this horrible new buildings and its making the city look like Miami.

Huge contrast in the city.

2.Citizen would be divide some will be in favor of Batman, other against, anti Batman groups, but also pro Batman groups, people would join gang to hunt him or to do justice in the same way.

Sure they will be there living, from time to time explore Gotham in the eyes of his citizens.

3.I would keep them bat Family, but change the whole Children SideKick, Robin would be Batman son and since Batman lose his parent it would be shown he train them to help them, try to do the exact same thing Alfred did to him, help him to deal with his problems, they would join the fight, but more like in their late teens, Batman wouldnt be totally ok and would be against it, until notice he has to do the same that Alfred and let them know who they are.

The same would apply to Batgirl.

Alfred it would be Nolan relatiionship, Lucius Fox would be the same, it just point out the whole playing stupid more, since many people fail to notice this in the movies, also i would bring Harold back and make him help Lucius, this dont mean Batman is dumb, just that he doesnt have time to do all the job.

Superman and the rest would make weird cameos.

4.The Riddler, Mad Hatter, Deathstroke, i would rewrite Ras so its stop being eco terrorist, Ivy has that role, so i dont see the point of having two character with the same mission.

5.Gotham Mind, Spirit and Soul, the only way to attack Batman its by attacking Gotham.

No Caption Provided

6. With a darker grey and something on the knees.

Also that blue effect it got in TAS.

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make him be like 007.

He could Get his ass beat by everyone stronger but uses his wits to overcome.

O... Wait

*thought bat man so original*

Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First of all... i will not reveal his identity in the movie, to get him more dark and mysterious , at least what he is :) Will show Bruce Wayne in movie but will not show that he is Batman, Movie will go from Jim Gordon view :) Or maybe Vicky Vale... :)

1. Gotham will have totall dark gothic style...
    2. Citizen will play roles, - yea, kidnaped, background... to show that except Batman and villains have and someone normal in that dark city... that Gotham is not dead town !
    3. Cameo roles- Guest: Will show some of Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash... villains - of low level - equal to Batman... maybe Lex Luthor, Nina Close, Trickster...
    4. Will bring something new to his movie - Batman monster villains: Man-Bat, Anthony Romulus, Killer Croc, Snowman, Harvest... etc
    5. >> My english is not good, and i cant understand what that mean <<
    6. Nothing known... some new armor... futuristic - prototype - cyber - tech armor :P with the almost liek demonic cape :P
    MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MuyJingo
    • Gotham would be basically NYC. More like NYC in the 80's when it was grittier, and no NYC landmarks.
    • Gotham citizens would be used to give character to the city. To show them as fearful..to show them talking about Batman as an urban legend etc.
    • Only a Bat-family member such as Nightwing or Oracle, maybe a lesser known DCU hero...no one too big.
    • Black mask. Keep the emphasis on mystery and detective work and hand to hand fighting...nothing too crazy.
    • Lives, control of Gotham underground
    • Costume would be similar to Jim Lee's Batman for Cowl and cape and chest logo, the rest would be more like the Earth one costume. No yellow at all.

BatmanXtra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BatmanXtra

Do you know this batman website?

imbatman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am writing a batman story of my own right now.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

• A dead place that needs saving all the time.Basically a hopeless place.
    • Will play a role, but not an active one.If they played an active role, we woudln't need a Batman to save them.
    • Nope.Batman works best when he works alone.
    • Duh.
    • City's destruction, i know cliche, but it's the Joker we're talking about.
    • Batfleck. (just to piss people off)
    Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Gotham would be a notorious city, now crime-ridden although popular many years before. Many bright lights; not as dark as it looked in the Nolan Trilogy, for instance. I'm thinking more along the lines of the city we've seen so far in the Arkham Knight trailers.

The citizens wouldn't be involved much, as the only people still residing in Gotham are families too poverty-stricken to leave. They stick to their apartments most of the time, which makes Gotham a ghost town until the criminal underworld strives at night.

No other characters would be in the story, besides Alfred, of course. Maybe Dick or Tim could be referenced, but not blatantly (it's up to interpretation as to where they are or why they aren't there to help Bruce). I'd prefer the story to give an "isolated" feeling. Batman is truly alone against the fight for his city

The Riddler would be Batman's foe in this story, and take things back to his detective roots.

Batman's suit would be grey and black, while the bat symbol on his chest would be a dark red.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.