How would you incorporate robin into a batman movie?

#1 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

How would you use robin in a batman movie that appeals to the movie going crowd AND fans of the comics?

#2 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

Hm... Personally, I think the Robin's tales don't require a great deal of edit. In Grayson's case, kid's an acrobat, kid's parents get shot, Batman feels a kinship, takes the kid in and trains him to be Robin. Jason Todd steals bat-tires, Batman takes him in to save him from a life of crime. That ends well. Tim Drake's a genius who figures out Batman's identity. Now his, for screen, I might change to something a bit more Carrie Kelly: While confronting the villain of the movie for the first time, Batman gets injured, Tim Drake stumbles across him before the Batmobile arrives, and bandages his wounds (boy scouts training: Finally being put to good use). Batman is grateful, and offers the position of Robin.

#3 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think most people would want to watch Batman take in an orphaned kid and then train him and have him be his partner. Nolan couldn't even make it work and Robin was like 35 in that movie.

I think the only way it would work is if Robin wasn't a kid and didn't dress like a festive bird. The name "Robin" would have to be explained as well. Maybe Robin Hood?

#4 Edited by The_Tree (7931 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Batman goes to a circus
  2. Witnesses the death of the Graysons
  3. Adopts Dick
  4. Dick lives normally with Bruce
  5. One day, Dick hears noises coming from behind a grandfather clock, and triggers the passage way
  6. Dick goes in and sees Bruce as Batman
  7. Bruce makes Dick promise to keep the Batman thing a secret
  8. Dick practically begs Bruce to be his sidekick, but Bruce says no
  9. Dick somehow proves himself and his usefulness
  10. Batman swears Dick in as Robin and begins training
  11. The rest is history

I'd probably make Dick older, around 14-16. Dick would also have a costume more akin to Damian's Robin costume.

#5 Posted by seanbateman (2 posts) - - Show Bio

If you read the comics, Robin is young and interesting. I don't think that a thirty year old should play Robin. Robin should be played by a child actor (14-16 tops like The_Tree points out). I agree with this article that i read a few days ago:

However, you might have to hire a kid who is about 12 to play a 14 year old (instead of a thirty year old playing a 16 year old) since their is a gap of about 3-4 years between movies. A child actor who starts at 12 (would reprise the role again at 15, and 18). A child star who starts at 15 (would reprise their role at 18, and 21). So, a kid actor who has a youthful appearance (and can grow with the role).

#6 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce adopts Dick Grayson. Bruce decides to bring Dick Grayson along on missions bec Bruce needs somebody to guard and wipe the batmobile.

#7 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

Have the circus scene and the Grayson's deaths happen before the intro credits, with a young 11-12 year old Dick being taken in by Bruce. Then skip ahead 5 years or so to Robin being closer to 16, and therefore more believable. The movie should involve Robin, but not have him fit into typical sidekick cliches.

#8 Posted by TheCannon (19373 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith: Really like your idea for Tim.

#9 Edited by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

Make him older (say 16-ish), make him Dick Grayson, make it so he is somehow related to somebody Bruce actually cares about, who dies and makes Bruce swear to look after him, and get rid of the Robin name and costume, and do this:

#10 Posted by Krissyjump (105 posts) - - Show Bio

I think something along the lines of the Nightwing Zero Issue would work well, it seems like it would translate to the screen nicely.

#11 Posted by BatWatch (3011 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a purist. I would like to see Robin's origins as close to the comics as possible. Dick Grayson's story is excellent and heart wrenching. Leave it be. The only thing I would adjust is that I would make Grayson older more like he is in the DCNU. To a certain extent, that is because it is difficult to believe an eleven and twelve year old could/should fight crime, but more importantly, you would have to deal with a crappy child actor, and that just wouldn't work.

For more news, reviews, and commentary for the entire Bat Family, check out BatWatch.net.

@deaditegonzo:

Why, "The Nightwing?" Sounds awkward.

#12 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12493 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, lets make Batman takes a poor kid and give him rats to eat.

#13 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

@BatWatch said:

@deaditegonzo:

Because of the images that the title Robin brings up to most people, a delicate little bird or the Robin from Adam Wests Batman saying "Holy ... Batman." Marketability is important if you want your favorite character make it.

Nightwing sounds awkward in the real world, but no worse than the "Batman".

Ironically, Batman created the fandom that made it so all Comic Book characters need to be dark, gritty, edgy, and thats what killed Robin in the DC movie U..

#14 Posted by KnightRise (4762 posts) - - Show Bio

Tragedy. Give him the saddest, most hugsquezenuzzle-worthy story, but then make him awesome. Make the audience fall in love with Dick. I wouldn't introduce him as Robin in his first film appearence, either.

Me, I'd go super tragic with the whole reboot. I'd have Mr. Freeze commit suicide by removing his suit and walking into the sunset because theres no hope for Nora. I'd have Harley Quinn be a schitzo who's been halluecinating the Joker's influence, a depressing abusive relationship all in her head.

#15 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12493 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest, it would need a Tv show to sell Robin to people and still i am sure people would never care for Robin as much as they care for Dick Grayson, Jason Todd and Tim Drake.

So there is no need for Robin, but a real need for the Batfamily.

#16 Posted by BatWatch (3011 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo said:

@BatWatch said:

@deaditegonzo:

Because of the images that the title Robin brings up to most people, a delicate little bird or the Robin from Adam Wests Batman saying "Holy ... Batman." Marketability is important if you want your favorite character make it.

Nightwing sounds awkward in the real world, but no worse than the "Batman".

Ironically, Batman created the fandom that made it so all Comic Book characters need to be dark, gritty, edgy, and thats what killed Robin in the DC movie U..

Interesting idea that Batman killed Robin in that sense, but what I meant was why "The" Nightwing. That sounds ackward.

#17 Posted by havoc1201 (521 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n said:

Have the circus scene and the Grayson's deaths happen before the intro credits, with a young 11-12 year old Dick being taken in by Bruce. Then skip ahead 5 years or so to Robin being closer to 16, and therefore more believable. The movie should involve Robin, but not have him fit into typical sidekick cliches.

this would work really well.

#18 Posted by knightofthechronicle (721 posts) - - Show Bio

The most obvious thing for me would start just how Batman Begins began, introduce the basic characters in a very well rounded story that won't over power the audience. After the universe of the movie has been established the sequel would introduce a major villain as well as Dick Grayson. Now of course you don't want to overpower the people just like I think Batman Forever and Batman and Robin did, so just gradually introduce Dick and The Flying Grayson's in the first half of the movie and having Dick move in at the very center of the film. Would I go into Tony Zucco at first? Of course not. So after the very end of that movie Dick would have already donned the Robin outfit and I would probably end it with a clue to a future villain. At least that's how I would do it.

#19 Posted by Jawshco (244 posts) - - Show Bio

I know it wasn't very popular, but I loved the way Frank Miller introduced Robin. In the All-Star Batman and Robin comic. He turned the original Robin into more of a beast than Damian. I loved seeing Robin just destroy the Green Lantern in hand to hand combat. After the terrible GL movie- this would fun to see in a movie.

My second suggestion would be to just skip ahead and do a movie about the Red Hood with flashbacks to Grayson and Death in the family.

#20 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (12493 posts) - - Show Bio

The flashback idea is maybe the best one, they work more as adults or almost adult, that as a that creppy kid that the Insane Batman uses as a human shield.

#21 Edited by batshrine (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000: Sure a flashback would be fine, but I don't want any of the father son dynamic to be lost, I want Batman to really show how much he cares, even if it is at its most subtle.

Or you have him as Dick as Nightwing in a Batman movie with no origin, just the key basics ward of Batman who was trained as robin and now defected to be his own. And then you can do a Nightwing movie showing the evolution from circus, to robin, to Nightwing. And a cool artistic and different way to show it is cloud atlas style only far less confusing since its the same character only different times of his life. And showing how everything kind have come full circle for him. So it would still be a super hero story but the narrative would be far more engaging. And it would totally expand on his relationship with Batman from distant figure, to mentor, to the rift, to someone who he respects.

#22 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12493 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

@DeathpooltheT1000: Sure a flashback would be fine, but I don't want any of the father son dynamic to be lost, I want Batman to really show how much he cares, even if it is at its most subtle.

Or you have him as Dick as Nightwing in a Batman movie with no origin, just the key basics ward of Batman who was trained as robin and now defected to be his own. And then you can do a Nightwing movie showing the evolution from circus, to robin, to Nightwing. And a cool artistic and different way to show it is cloud atlas style only far less confusing since its the same character only different times of his life. And showing how everything kind have come full circle for him. So it would still be a super hero story but the narrative would be far more engaging. And it would totally expand on his relationship with Batman from distant figure, to mentor, to the rift, to someone who he respects.

Well the flashback is that you could even have all the Robins in the movies,i mean i sick that only Dick gets mainstream recognition.

#23 Posted by danhimself (22712 posts) - - Show Bio

if they ever do have Robin in the movies I hope that the first place they look is at actual children acrobats

#24 Posted by Hazlenaut (1935 posts) - - Show Bio

First we see Dick Grayson but he will be a side character. This is where we see moment with bruce. He will be anonymous that he will be Batman until nearly the end of the movie. He will find out in the end and we close the credits. He will be Robin in the next movie he will still be a side character. Robin is to be trilogy which should be in the third Batman movie. The third Batman needs to show that Batman is not alone. Dark knight rises was close but missed it.

Somehow movies the robin suit seems too bright and flashy or childish to directors. That is why red Nightwing was made in Batman and Robin. You know what I think in the fourth movie batman needs to wear the gray and blue. That is going to be risky as batman favored in the dark lore and people enjoy. However this going to be needed as he needs to save lives and looking scary does not help. That was the pint in new frontier made. I think they need to make two outfits for Batman.

#25 Posted by redhoodnet (153 posts) - - Show Bio

In a flashback we see Bruce hooking up with Talia.... then he was a 16 year old son 16 years later who has been trained by the League of Shadows.

Easy!

#26 Posted by batshrine (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000: Oh I totally agree, thats why I want Dick to go straight to Nightwing, so we could have Tim as Robin. But we can't explore Tim without exploring Nightwing simply because Nightwing is so evolved. That and I am fond with my movie idea. but as a Robin, Tim will always be my favorite and should get the spotlight. But again there shouldn't be an origin to him either he should just be a supporting character in the Batman movie. And after they do the Nightwing movie, then a seperate Robin movie should be done. No origins needed for the beginning

#27 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

In the movies, maybe Dick Grayson is a fan boy who goes crazy and wants to kill Batman.

#28 Posted by batshrine (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: And how is that remotely interesting, staying true to the character, or a good introduction to the character?!?!?!

#29 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

For the movies, maybe can use Dick Grayson like Renee Montoya.

#30 Posted by Jawshco (244 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000: Actually, I kind of like Robin as a creepy kid that Batman uses as a human shield. Ha! I enjoyed the story in the Tim Drake era "Robin" comic where it's pointed out that the reason Robin is so brightly colored as opposed to being dark like Batman, was to be a distraction to villains... It's a bit twisted, but it makes a certain kind of sense.

#31 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce decides to form his own secret society to fight Ras Al Ghul and his League of Shadows. Bruce recruits people like Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Barbara Gordon, Kate Kane, etc.

#32 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12493 posts) - - Show Bio

This way

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.