How Would You Feel If Batman Was Homosexual?

• 151 results
#1 Posted by ComicStooge (12934 posts) - - Show Bio

What if instead of Earth 2's Alan Scott, it was the mainstream earth Batman that turned out to be gay in the reboot? Would you be happy about the change, not really care or would you despise the idea? What would it change about the Dark Knight and would you still read his verious Bat-books?

#2 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7877 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd personally despise the idea. And their would probably be a mass suicide of Batman fanboys.

#3 Posted by Spectre108 (269 posts) - - Show Bio

I would probably cry (and not in a good way). . . . no offense to gay people.

#4 Edited by batshrine (995 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally could care less, though I would prefer him to be bi. Not enough bi heroes and Batman loves everyone :-P

Plus i want him to keep collecting his legions of women that he hooks up with

#5 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Would not matter to me. I don't much like Batman right now, but I guess I would hate him a little less.

#6 Edited by The_Tree (7493 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd be angry, because A.) it'd pretty much be change for the sake of change and B.) it would be completely out of character, since he's been with hundreds, if not thousands of girls in the past.

#7 Posted by Redberry (797 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally don't care.

#8 Posted by ComicStooge (12934 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine: No, I mean he turns legit homosexual. It's retconned to say he never wanted to be with any of those women and he never will be with another woman again. :P

#9 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

There have been many interpretations of batman and because of that, I wouldn't have cared.

#10 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

It would ruin Batman for me. Nothing against gays and its good that there is gay heroes, but Batman is not gay.

#11 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

*waits for someone to post a picture from the golden age that is out of context in today's mindset*

#12 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet said:

*waits for someone to post a picture from the golden age that is out of context in today's mindset*

*Waits for that someone to be Dick Grayson*

#13 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh

#14 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

The reaction would be hilarious, and probably the most fun I would ever have on the internet. Ever.

#15 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you mean was? I thought he and Superman were DCs poster boys for man love?

#16 Posted by SiycoBat (157 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally couldn't care less. Batman is known for his badass detective skills and brooding personality, not for his love life nor should it define the majority of a hero.

#17 Posted by theicon (1797 posts) - - Show Bio

goes to show u its a choice, had they started that way it would fit the character, but changing over is the new thing. and very insulting to followers of these original characters.... but it always boils down to a Choice! Proof of that now more then ever

#18 Posted by Catman9 (318 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman isn't homosexual? I always thought Bruce Wayne was the Jerry Sandusky of DC.

#19 Posted by Redberry (797 posts) - - Show Bio

@theicon said:

goes to show u its a choice, had they started that way it would fit the character, but changing over is the new thing. and very insulting to followers of these original characters.... but it always boils down to a Choice! Proof of that now more then ever

You come to the conclusion that people are gay by choice because a fictional character in a fictional setting is turned gay by a business enterprise? Ok...

#20 Edited by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet said: Not from the golden age, not out of context, and still gay.

Not from the golden age, not out of context, yet still gay.

#21 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10907 posts) - - Show Bio

I would hat it, becuase there is many gays character and also, it would be pretty less original that people could think.

#22 Edited by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

He's what Grant Morrison has to say about that!

He's very plutonian in the sense that he's wealthy and also in the sense that he's sexually deviant. Gayness is built into Batman. I'm not using gay in the pejorative sense, but Batman is very, very gay. There's just no denying it. Obviously as a fictional character he's intended to be heterosexual, but the basis of the whole concept is utterly gay. I think that's why people like it. All these women fancy him and they all wear fetish clothes and jump around rooftops to get to him. He doesn't care-he's more interested in hanging out with the old guy and the kid.

Source

Original interview (a great read for Morrison fans)

#23 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8867 posts) - - Show Bio

This change would enrage me immensely

#24 Posted by daredevil21134 (11863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach said:

This change would enrage me immensely

lol

#25 Posted by ComicStooge (12934 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach: I agree with you, sir.

I just wanted to hear what other people thought...

#26 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8867 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicStooge: I like my batman punching the joker, sexing beautiful ladies after just a scowl, then going back to his mansion.

#27 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

I'd be angry, because A.) it'd pretty much be change for the sake of change and B.) it would be completely out of character, since he's been with hundreds, if not thousands of girls in the past.

#28 Posted by ComicStooge (12934 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach: Exactly.

The whole 'Batman is gay because he hangs around with a kid and an old man' argument is dumb. Is my dad gay for being around me and my grandfather more then my mother\his wife?

#29 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

@AweSam: actully that bit was based on a comic from the golden age, but whatever...

#30 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8867 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicStooge: Blame that stupid 50's psychologist for starting the whole thing.

#31 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicStooge said:

@Crom-Cruach: Exactly.

The whole 'Batman is gay because he hangs around with a kid and an old man' argument is dumb. Is my dad gay for being around me and my grandfather more then my mother\his wife?

It's more like the 'Batman is gay because he jumps from rooftops dressed in bat fetish gear and hangs out with a kid and an old man rather than the sexy woman who also wear fetish gear that chase after him' argument. I love Batman, he's my all-time favorite comic book character, but he's totally gay dude.

#32 Posted by ComicStooge (12934 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach: If only time travel could exist, right? Then we could go back in time and stop any of this crap from ever happening.

#33 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8867 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicStooge: lol

also this how batman woudl always spend his evenings if he wasn't always too busy picking up the slack for the entire DC universe:

#34 Posted by ARMIV2 (8561 posts) - - Show Bio

If he had already been established as a gay guy, then...well, I'd be peeved over the lack of Catwoman/Batman relationship hinting...but then again, if he was gay from the get go then that tension might not have been there...but then again with the way relationships are written in comic books nowadays...

Uhhh...I guess it wouldn't bug me then.

#35 Posted by henryarguelles5 (366 posts) - - Show Bio

If anything, Batman is asexual. Batman is way too into his brooding to be romantic with ANYONE. But that doesn't answer the question. Batman has never really shown to pine for any woman...not like Peter Parker or Clark Kent do...Bruce Wayne being gay might actually make sense.

#36 Posted by ComicStooge (12934 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger: That's just his theme. Does that make every superhero ever gay simply because they have a costume theme?

#37 Edited by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicStooge said:

@ApatheticAvenger: That's just his theme. Does that make every superhero ever gay simply because they have a costume theme?

Uh, yeah, pretty much. Didn't you read Watchmen? Sexually deviancy is tied in heavily to costumed crime-fighting. :P

As Morrison notes, Batman as a character is clearly written to be heterosexual, hence his relationships with the likes of Catwoman, Wonder Woman, and Talia al Ghul. But the concept behind Batman? Totally gay.

#38 Posted by ComicStooge (12934 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach said:

@ComicStooge: lol

also this how batman woudl always spend his evenings if he wasn't always too busy picking up the slack for the entire DC universe:

Exactly.

#39 Posted by ComicStooge (12934 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger: What, you mean the story written by a now crazy bitter old man who has insane rantings? Sure let's all trust his opinion...

#40 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicStooge said:

@ApatheticAvenger: What, you mean the story written by a now crazy bitter old man who has insane rantings? Sure let's all trust his opinion...

Sigh... Never mind.

#41 Posted by ComicStooge (12934 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger: Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything...

#42 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet said:

@AweSam: actully that bit was based on a comic from the golden age, but whatever...

I know, but out of every gadget Batman has up his ass, he pulls out a rainbow costume.

#43 Posted by stormphoenix (934 posts) - - Show Bio

If Batman was gay mmmm no I wouldn't care I would still love the BAT'S he is one of my Favorite superheroes.

#44 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

Would hate it, but I'd like to think it was because of the seemingly random/drastic PC character change and not because of his sexual preference. Why not start making new characters with more diverse backgrounds as opposed to radically altering established ones....

#45 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm about as liberal and open-minded as they come. Batman being gay would be heartbreaking. I dont know why.

#46 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicStooge said:

@ApatheticAvenger: Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything...

Well, you DID call the most acclaimed writer in comics a bitter old man. Pretty harsh. :P

#47 Posted by _Zombie_ (10443 posts) - - Show Bio

Not now, no. I wouldn't be bothered if he was already gay, but to suddenly make a character with decades of being established as heterosexual gay for no perceivable reason.. is just stupid. Even in the DCnU, a lot of his continuity was kept more or less intact. Meaning he's still more or less the same Batman. So if they had just changed it at the drop of the hat, I would of been very annoyed, to say the least.

#48 Posted by ComicStooge (12934 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger: To be fair, he kinda is. Same thing happened to Frank Millar, didn't it?

#49 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

It would make sense in todays standard......he's filthy rich, single, orphan, is a vigilante who wears tights, comes out at night only, and has boy wonder sidekicks it would be gay chic................they should do a spin-off, non-canon series for the fun of it

#50 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18855 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

Would hate it, but I'd like to think it was because of the seemingly random/drastic PC character change and not because of his sexual preference. Why not start making new characters with more diverse backgrounds as opposed to radically altering established ones....

I agree.

It would seem like they are doing it for shock value instead of for the character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.