How will the DC reboot affect Batman and the Gotham heroes?

#1 Posted by Bluetorch (80 posts) - - Show Bio

This is similar to another discussion I started about Hal Jordan the Green Lantern Corp.

Bruce Wayne, Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Damien Wayne, and the other Gotham heroes have had some great story lines these past few years.  How should the DC reboot affect them?  Should they reboot the Batman mythos or respect the recent stories to a certain degree?

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (12669 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully Bruce with a young Grayson, If Jason Todd shows up he stays dead, Gotta have Tim Drake show up, maybe as a villains sidekick who evntually joins Batman (I've always hated that he' just another kid Batman takes in, what is Bruce a charity)

No Damian....I hate Damian

#3 Posted by theincrediblezero (100 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope that we get Nightwing back (I dislike Dickbats) and we get some cool Jason Todd stories. Tim should show up in a different way, not a twelve-year-old who stalked Batman AND Nightwing without getting caught. That always bothered me. Steph and Damian really add nothing to the title Robin, so Steph should be Batgirl/somthing similar right from the get-go, and Damain . . . well you're right. NO MORE DAMIAN. 

#4 Posted by johnny_spam (2035 posts) - - Show Bio

Keep Damian. Keep Kate as Batwoman. Just those two would mean so much.

#5 Posted by batman_is_god (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

I could really go for the Robin being Dick again. As soon as Batman gets replaced AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ill stop reading again
#6 Posted by entropy_aegis (15088 posts) - - Show Bio
@theincrediblezero said:
I hope that we get Nightwing back (I dislike Dickbats) and we get some cool Jason Todd stories. Tim should show up in a different way, not a twelve-year-old who stalked Batman AND Nightwing without getting caught. That always bothered me. Steph and Damian really add nothing to the title Robin, so Steph should be Batgirl/somthing similar right from the get-go, and Damain . . . well you're right. NO MORE DAMIAN. 
Steph and Damian add more than Jason.Geoff Johns sucks HARD,it's all over.All the things i loved and even hated are over.Screw DC comics,i'll buy the New Gods related stuff when they come back,cause they won't be affected by any of this crap.I don't wanna see Krypton exploding all over again,i don't wanna see the Waynes' dying all over again.Modern origin? WTF? are the Wayne's gonna be shot dead with an AK-47 instead of a pistol? PHUCK.
#7 Posted by Pears767 (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully, Morrison has enough pull to keep them from doing major damage. I would admit to wanting Dick back as Nightwing (as the Joker might say, it just ain't the same regardless of how good Snyder is). Otherwise Bruce-Bats, Jason-RH, Tim-RR, Damian-R, Steph- BG, and Kate-BW works for me. I don't know. Somebody probably cares much more than I do and could express it better. 

#8 Posted by Pears767 (22 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis: Haha w/ AK-47.Joe Chill has his sweatpants riding below his rear by a good foot and a half? 
#9 Posted by entropy_aegis (15088 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pears767 said:
Hopefully, Morrison has enough pull to keep them from doing major damage. I would admit to wanting Dick back as Nightwing (as the Joker might say, it just ain't the same regardless of how good Snyder is). Otherwise Bruce-Bats, Jason-RH, Tim-RR, Damian-R, Steph- BG, and Kate-BW works for me. I don't know. Somebody probably cares much more than I do and could express it better. 
I think even Morrison may have been sidelined in this one,they prolly gave him the Superman book to keep him happy.
#10 Posted by coolbeans (253 posts) - - Show Bio

There has been just great character development with Tim, damian, and dick over the last few years.  I'm really sad to see them throw that away.

#11 Posted by daredevil21134 (11350 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems like we got a couple Damian haters here

#12 Posted by SnickerSnack (101 posts) - - Show Bio

i heard that DC won't change much about those that are currently working for the readers and I believe that the current Batman run is working. I doubt they'll scrap the entire work done by Morrison. Maybe they'll tweak a few things here and there like the costume for example (no more briefs on the outside). :) 

#13 Posted by VaizD (249 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they don't just scrap it all. Honestly, my personal preference would be for this reboot line to be tantamount to an Ultimate Universe. Like how they were planning those Earth One graphic novels (I know the Superman one came out, but I haven't heard anything about Bats Earth One since like 09), this sounds like the same concept. Update heroes for a 21st century audience. Keep the current universe, maybe with some minor revisions, and let Flashpoint lead to a splinter Ultimate-esque universe that starts from square one with a younger Bruce-Bats (Hell, maybe even have a decent run before Grayson becomes a factor), etc, etc, where they can play with the continuity and stories without totally demolishing the existing canon.

I know that's what they basically tried to do with All-Star Bats, but let's face it, that didn't have the most successful run ever. I mean, I kind of ironically enjoyed how over the top it was, but it's not exactly super popular.

#14 Posted by SnickerSnack (101 posts) - - Show Bio
@VaizD said:
I hope they don't just scrap it all. Honestly, my personal preference would be for this reboot line to be tantamount to an Ultimate Universe. Like how they were planning those Earth One graphic novels (I know the Superman one came out, but I haven't heard anything about Bats Earth One since like 09), this sounds like the same concept. Update heroes for a 21st century audience. Keep the current universe, maybe with some minor revisions, and let Flashpoint lead to a splinter Ultimate-esque universe that starts from square one with a younger Bruce-Bats (Hell, maybe even have a decent run before Grayson becomes a factor), etc, etc, where they can play with the continuity and stories without totally demolishing the existing canon.  I know that's what they basically tried to do with All-Star Bats, but let's face it, that didn't have the most successful run ever. I mean, I kind of ironically enjoyed how over the top it was, but it's not exactly super popular.
I kinda doubt that. I've read a lot of articles concerning this huge reboot and it doesn't look like DC is planning on mimicking what Marvel did with the Ultimate universe. To be honest I'm excited on the things DC is planning, though I can't say as of now whether this huge reboot is a good thing or a bad thing and I'm guessing that's one of the reasons why I'm excited. 
#15 Posted by Bruce27 (494 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as Bruce is Batman I'll be fine, but both Tim and Dick need to be around in some shape or form. I'm not really a fan of this revamp, the bat verse has been going pretty good lately.

#16 Posted by Legacy_ (10520 posts) - - Show Bio

If Damian becomes non-existent, I will be highly upset V_V 

I love that kid

#17 Posted by SnickerSnack (101 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I agree. Please don't erase Damian from the Batverse. Out of all the Robins I've to say he's the best because he actually added more angst and character to the Robin figure. 

#18 Edited by ShirEPanjshir (588 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually enjoying Dick as a Batman as well as Bruce. But changes are they'll revert back to one Batman. I guess.

EDIT: I just read ( on www.bleedingcool.com ) that there will in fact be a Nightwing 1. Which would obviously mean that Dick will revert back to being Nightwing, Bruce will be Batman. Now the question remains: will Damien be Robin? Will Tim be Red Robin?

#19 Posted by flash_fanboy (73 posts) - - Show Bio

So are they just using previous continuity (the 'history' will still exist) or are they completely restarting (new origins and stuff)? 
#20 Posted by ShirEPanjshir (588 posts) - - Show Bio
@flash_fanboy: It seems it will kind of depend on the series. According to the messages some series will go nearly unchanged ( I believe Green Lantern will be one of these series, seeing as there 'll be a Red Lanterns series starting in September ), while others will undergo major changes ( as in: characters will disappear and others will (re)appear ). They will use Flashpoint ( which is taking place in this universe, on this planet, but everything is twisted and wrong ) as a catalyst for all the changes to come.

Basically: we will find out more during the coming months. Until then I suggest: read Flashpoint ( because it 's awesome ) and keep a weary eye on the various comic book news websites for more updates on the DC Universe reboot. Twitter is also a huge source of information if you search for the #dccomics tag.
#21 Posted by flash_fanboy (73 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah i was going to read flash point coz (as you can see from my name) I'm pretty obsessed with the Flash XD 
but that was one of the issues i had because i really don't think DC should change the iconic origins such as batman, the flash,superman etc 
I'm also dreading the idea that Tim's time as robin will not have happened =S
#22 Posted by ShirEPanjshir (588 posts) - - Show Bio
@flash_fanboy: I think Flash is pretty safe. Batman 's origins will probably remain unchanged as well. Superman however, this could be a different story, because of the current on going law suit stuff and such... DC could use this reboot to give a twist to his origins so they are safe from any further repercussions of losing the rights to his origins.
#23 Posted by flash_fanboy (73 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh awesome, sorry i was getting pretty worried about things getting screwed up XD 
Thank you =D
#24 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really sure what to think but what I don't like is bats going back to #1...I mean he was the only guy who got to 700 without any renumber or crap like that, he earned an honest 700 unlike Wonder Woman or Superman (because of the change to the adventures title), that and action was a few years away from reaching issue 1000 come on that's cool but this back to 1 thing is just annoying...story wise is wait and see I just am bothered by the re-number...

#25 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

There is one and only one thing that better happen. CASSANDRA CAIN BACK AS BATGIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#26 Posted by MrUnknown (1700 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam: I think Batwoman will be around. I think this might be the reason it kept getting delayed actually.
#27 Posted by VaizD (249 posts) - - Show Bio

While there is a Nightwing #1 confirmed, we're making the dire assumption that Dick Grayson will be Nightwing. That's not confirmed in the slightest. There could still very well be a Dickbats and someone else taking the Nightwing mantle.

#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was already confirmed that Dick will be Nightwing and Babs will be Batgirl?

#29 Posted by johnny_spam (2035 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrUnknown: It looks like DC wanted to probably put all the issue ones in September so I could see that being why Batwoman is being released later. Bob Wayne has kept saying with certain characters there are only minor changes and he has also said DC is not going through a reboot. Those two things I hope mean Batman's world will not change that much.
#30 Posted by VaizD (249 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
I thought it was already confirmed that Dick will be Nightwing and Babs will be Batgirl?
Babs as BG, yes. I don't believe Nightwing's been named yet. I could be entirely wrong, I'm having a hard time keeping up with all the news. If Nightwing hasn't been named yet, though, that's a pretty good indicator that he/she's probably not Dick. I mean, if they're OK just out and telling us Babs is gonna be Batgirl again when that's a major game changer, why not tell us Dick's gonna be Nightwing?

But, again, I could be totally wrong. Someone correct me, if I am.
#31 Posted by MrUnknown (1700 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam: Well, I can't feel that everything that Morrison has done with Batman to really stay. I'm sure they will try to keep some elements of it but Batman Inc., or Dick as Bats I doubt it. But I can see them deciding to keep Damian because he's popular. 
#32 Posted by VaizD (249 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrUnknown said:
@johnny spam: Well, I can't feel that everything that Morrison has done with Batman to really stay. I'm sure they will try to keep some elements of it but Batman Inc., or Dick as Bats I doubt it. But I can see them deciding to keep Damian because he's popular. 
They can throw Inc. straight into the bin for all I care long as they keep Dickbats and Damien. I wouldn't be anywhere as interested in Damien if not for his partnership with Dick; their dynamic and relationship has been extremely fun to watch evolve over the past two years.
#33 Posted by MrUnknown (1700 posts) - - Show Bio
@VaizD: Well I for one like the execution of Batman Inc. if not so much the concept and hope it will at least get a definitive end. I agree Dick and Damien relationship is one of the best as well as the relationship between Steph and Damien. But I am in doubt that the reboot will not alter these establishment. After all it's gotta change at least some stuff to be called a reboot.
#34 Edited by EnSabahNurX (2313 posts) - - Show Bio
@VaizD said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Babs as BG, yes. I don't believe Nightwing's been named yet. I could be entirely wrong, I'm having a hard time keeping up with all the news. If Nightwing hasn't been named yet, though, that's a pretty good indicator that he/she's probably not Dick. I mean, if they're OK just out and telling us Babs is gonna be Batgirl again when that's a major game changer, why not tell us Dick's gonna be Nightwing?  But, again, I could be totally wrong. Someone correct me, if I am.
Not loving babs as batgirl again just because she's had sooo much development over the years as oracle it seems wrong to throw her bat to being batgirl, Nightwing is probably dick I'd be really shocked if it wasn't otherwise its Tim or to be really random have it be cassandra O_O lol I still don't see them making such a big change to one of the main members of the batfam  

EDIT: had to fix some grammar O_O
#35 Posted by VaizD (249 posts) - - Show Bio
@EnSabahNurX said:
@VaizD said:
@spiderbat87 said:
Babs as BG, yes. I don't believe Nightwing's been named yet. I could be entirely wrong, I'm having a hard time keeping up with all the news. If Nightwing hasn't been named yet, though, that's a pretty good indicator that he/she's probably not Dick. I mean, if they're OK just out and telling us Babs is gonna be Batgirl again when that's a major game changer, why not tell us Dick's gonna be Nightwing?  But, again, I could be totally wrong. Someone correct me, if I am.
Not loving babs as batgirl again just because she's had sooo much development over the years as oracle it seems wrong to throw her bat to being batgirl, Nightwing is probably dick I'd be really shocked if it wasn't otherwise its Tim or to be relly rand have it be cassandra O_O lol I still don't see them making such a big change to one of the main members of the batfam 
Yes, giving Barbara her legs back out of nowhere seems like a particularly cheap move, unless they have a really good reason to do so. Especially considering the Killing Joke is one of the seminal Batman stories, and all her development since then has really defined her modern character.
#36 Posted by Omega-Man (761 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing is why I am doubtful that babs will be Batgirl again is because of the Booster Gold series (He tried to change the past so that Joker didn't cripple babs) But it was MENT to happen Hence why he couldn't stop it. And this is a time travel story for DC to simply give Babs the Batgirl costume again and revert the timeline she was ever shot would make the stories in Booster Gold which IS a Time travel/alternate timeline ongoing story  would be stupid. And wouldn't make any sense why couldn't Booster stop it from happening when Zoom can? thats just stupid and makes no sense.

Also I don't want babs as batgirl, Steph is a better batgirl than her and so is Cassandra. I prefer them both over the orignal. Also I don't want two red headed women to wear bat symbols.

#37 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

Its not a reboot says DC

#38 Posted by The_Tree (7250 posts) - - Show Bio

I want Bruce as Batman, Damian as Robin, Dick as Nightwing, Barbara as Oracle, Stephanie as Batgirl, Cassandra as Blackbat, Tim as Red Robin, Kate Kane as Batwoman, and Jason Todd as Red Hood.
That is all.

#39 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2313 posts) - - Show Bio
@doordoor123 said:
Its not a reboot says DC
I agree with corey in the recent podcast, he said they sound like they are trying to distance themselves from the word reboot because of all the negative response to it. Doesn't mean they aren't doing one(on a smaller scale than a 100% change), if it wasn't a reboot it wouldn't be worth doing business wise 
#40 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@EnSabahNurX said:
@doordoor123 said:
Its not a reboot says DC
I agree with corey in the recent podcast, he said they sound like they are trying to distance themselves from the word reboot because of all the negative response to it. Doesn't mean they aren't doing one(on a smaller scale than a 100% change), if it wasn't a reboot it wouldn't be worth doing business wise 
What evidence do you have that its a reboot. The only reason people think its a reboot is because the Nightwing and Batgirl rumor. Yes. Its a rumor. Everything officially put out is evidence that it is a relaunch and not a reboot. Sure theyre updating things, but its still a relaunch. Kind of like Year One.
#41 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis
I'm nervous as hell about what they're going to do to the Bat Family; they're the bread and butter of DC comics and they don't need to be screwed with.
#42 Posted by entropy_aegis (15088 posts) - - Show Bio
@jrock85 said:
@entropy_aegis:  I'm nervous as hell about what they're going to do to the Bat Family; they're the bread and butter of DC comics and they don't need to be screwed with.
GL's are safe,maybe the bat family will get the same treatment? then again GL's also survived COIE.
#43 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis
I hope you're right. Honestly, I don't mind a minor tweak here or there, but nothing drastic.
#44 Posted by Pears767 (22 posts) - - Show Bio

I get the feeling that if they decide to return Babs the use of her legs, in a few months they would be broken again out of fan reaction (maybe its just me but that one should stay the way it is). Give Cass a new costume and leave Steph to it imho. Like most people, I'd like the tweaks to stay minor. 

#45 Posted by Omega-Man (761 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the characters as they are now, and I like Dick Grayson as Batman, him and damian together is a good mix. a serious Robin with a light hearted Batman. it's a twist from a serious Batman and a light hearted Robin. I don't think Damian and Bruce would be a good combo/partnership. They didn't seem to click in Batman The Return. due to personality clash.

#46 Edited by chipsnopotatoes (328 posts) - - Show Bio

Catwoman is a prime candidate for a reboot. DC has just piled on so much baggage on the character that it's a wonder she has any fans left. New origin. New costume. New everything. She needs a total overhaul.

#47 Posted by laussica (80 posts) - - Show Bio

@coolbeans: @ShirEPanjshir: agreed i really dont miss bruce as the main batman, and damien is my favorite robin

i really dont want to see dick or tim as robin again either

dick as nightwing wouldnt be so bad i guess

#48 Posted by Grubich (368 posts) - - Show Bio
Bruce is dead, instead Thomas Wayne is Batman. And he'll kill too.
#49 Edited by anthol (178 posts) - - Show Bio

Could someone tell me what batman stories are no longer canon. I've read everything post crisis up until hush and a lil bit over.

#50 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2198 posts) - - Show Bio
@anthol said:
Could someone tell me what batman stories are no longer canon. I've read everything post crisis up until hush and a lil bit over.
If the story took place in Gotham or another Batman related city, it's still canon.  If it involved another superhero unrelated to Batman, the likelihood of it being canon is 50-50.

So consider everything you've read canon.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.